Ping Pong Parachute B/C

xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Ping Pong Parachute B/C

Post by xiangyu »

What material are y'all using for your parachutes? I've tried a variety of different materials and parachute sizes but it still struggles a bit (Ball is still coming down pretty quick)

Also, if you don't mind sharing, what times have y'all bee getting? (Ceiling height also please)
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
DatSciolyBoi
Division: C
State: CA

Post by DatSciolyBoi »

I haven't gotten my hands on a launcher yet, so i'm just dropping the rocket off an approximately 12-15 foot ledge. My parachute times are about 7-9 seconds so i'll need o work on that.
Chaparral Middle School -> Troy High School
Background in: Wright Stuff, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible, Wind Power, Experimental Design, Elastic Launched Glider, Fossils, Mystery Architecture
Builder Cult Satanic Group .CO :twisted:
Co-Sassy of Game 138: Tanks and Turrets
xiangyu

Post by xiangyu »

DatSciolyBoi wrote: October 21st, 2019, 2:42 pm I haven't gotten my hands on a launcher yet, so i'm just dropping the rocket off an approximately 12-15 foot ledge. My parachute times are about 7-9 seconds so i'll need o work on that.
Really? That seems really good to me! I've been getting about ~4ish second dropping off from that same height. I know you probably don't want to give much away, but are there any tips/other info you are willing to share?
vehicleguy

Post by vehicleguy »

xiangyu wrote: October 21st, 2019, 3:47 pm
DatSciolyBoi wrote: October 21st, 2019, 2:42 pm I haven't gotten my hands on a launcher yet, so i'm just dropping the rocket off an approximately 12-15 foot ledge. My parachute times are about 7-9 seconds so i'll need o work on that.
Really? That seems really good to me! I've been getting about ~4ish second dropping off from that same height. I know you probably don't want to give much away, but are there any tips/other info you are willing to share?
This is a basic tip that applies to all builds, but perfection is key, especially for ppp. The more exact your parachute measurements are, the better it will perform.
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
2022 Events: Chem Lab, Envi Chem, It's About Time, Orni, PPP, Wright Stuff
2022 States: 3rd Envi Chem, 3rd Orni, 4th Wright Stuff
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy
xiangyu

Post by xiangyu »

vehicleguy wrote: October 21st, 2019, 4:35 pm
This is a basic tip that applies to all builds, but perfection is key, especially for ppp. The more exact your parachute measurements are, the better it will perform.
What do you mean by parachute measurement? Is there a specific size that we should make the parachute as close as possible to? Is it about making the parachute as close to a certain shape as possible? Like for some of my other events I understand the importance of percision (like wright stuff with plane weight and CG etc), but I'm having a hard time basing the parachute design off a certain factor.

Do you kind of see what I mean? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Warmat100
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Warmat100 »

what type of bottle is going to be the best at things ex. sprite, coke, smart water?
DatSciolyBoi
State: CA

Post by DatSciolyBoi »

xiangyu wrote: October 21st, 2019, 6:48 pm
vehicleguy wrote: October 21st, 2019, 4:35 pm

What do you mean by parachute measurement? Is there a specific size that we should make the parachute as close as possible to? Is it about making the parachute as close to a certain shape as possible? Like for some of my other events I understand the importance of percision (like wright stuff with plane weight and CG etc), but I'm having a hard time basing the parachute design off a certain factor.

Do you kind of see what I mean? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
It's literally nothing but trial and error. Try out different diameters and shapes, circles seem to be the best. And with a hole cut in the middle, you can help the air go through better which keeps the parachute straight. And this might seem weird, but when you drop the parachute off the ledge, do it with the parachute in the rocket, you're trying your best to recreate that moment when the rocket hits the climax and the parachute system deploys. Other than that, there's not much to tell you. Just keep testing it over and over, it's good exercise running up and down the stairs lol.

Ps: Have someone catch the rocket when it falls, you don't want to damage the nose cone just yet

Pps: *You prolly already know this, but when cutting the parachute, fold the plastic so that you only need to cut a quarter of a circle, then the 4 sections are all the same sizes*
Chaparral Middle School -> Troy High School
Background in: Wright Stuff, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible, Wind Power, Experimental Design, Elastic Launched Glider, Fossils, Mystery Architecture
Builder Cult Satanic Group .CO :twisted:
Co-Sassy of Game 138: Tanks and Turrets
xiangyu

Post by xiangyu »

DatSciolyBoi wrote: October 21st, 2019, 9:30 pm
It's literally nothing but trial and error. Try out different diameters and shapes, circles seem to be the best. And with a hole cut in the middle, you can help the air go through better which keeps the parachute straight. And this might seem weird, but when you drop the parachute off the ledge, do it with the parachute in the rocket, you're trying your best to recreate that moment when the rocket hits the climax and the parachute system deploys. Other than that, there's not much to tell you. Just keep testing it over and over, it's good exercise running up and down the stairs lol.

Ps: Have someone catch the rocket when it falls, you don't want to damage the nose cone just yet

Pps: *You prolly already know this, but when cutting the parachute, fold the plastic so that you only need to cut a quarter of a circle, then the 4 sections are all the same sizes*
Ok, thanks for your help! I'll play around with different shapes and sizes this weekend. I'll keep you updated.
eagerlearner102

Post by eagerlearner102 »

Are any of you guys building a launch pad?
Also, would looking at bottle rocket B resources be helpful or no for ping pong parachute C?
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
eagerlearner102

Post by eagerlearner102 »

What are your guy's opinion about buying manual instruction books about building rockets? How helpful are they?
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”