Ping Pong Parachute B/C

megrimlockawesom
Division: C
State: NC

Re: Ping Pong Parachute B/C

Post by megrimlockawesom » January 12th, 2020, 11:35 am

HippoLowercase wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 5:00 pm
Does anyone know how to reinforce the parachute to keep it from folding inwards?
It's all about how you position your strings on the parachute, the material you use to adhere said strings, and the length of the strings
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute

megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Post by megrimlockawesom » January 12th, 2020, 11:36 am

donutsandcupcakes wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 9:44 am
I'm sure someone probably already asked this but what are some successful materials to use for the fins. We are using plastic folders to cut out the fins, and we are making our fins pretty small, and I've noticed that other teams use bigger fins. So could someone pls suggest a succesful materiala and size for the fins. I understand if you dont wanna give away ur design, but any information will be of great help.

Thx,
donutsandcupcakes:)
Styrofoam plates, laminated with clear packaging tape
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute

donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes » January 12th, 2020, 3:04 pm

Sorry for asking so many questions, its just that I'm confused. My team as of now is using normal scotch tape but at our invitational we saw people using duct tape? Is that advisable or is there a type of tape you think works best for ppp?

will0416
State: OH

Post by will0416 » January 12th, 2020, 3:07 pm

donutsandcupcakes wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 3:04 pm
Sorry for asking so many questions, its just that I'm confused. My team as of now is using normal scotch tape but at our invitational we saw people using duct tape? Is that advisable or is there a type of tape you think works best for ppp?
If your scotch tape is sticking fine, you're definitely better off using that instead of heavy duty duct tape. The difference in mass might be minimal (unless your rocket is some monster tape tower) but it's a good idea to reduce mass as much as possible.
Mason ‘22
2019 Nats:
Code - 4
Mission - 4

donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes » January 12th, 2020, 4:12 pm

will0416 wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 3:07 pm
donutsandcupcakes wrote:
If your scotch tape is sticking fine, you're definitely better off using that instead of heavy duty duct tape. The difference in mass might be minimal (unless your rocket is some monster tape tower) but it's a good idea to reduce mass as much as possible.
Just making sure duct tape is allowed rt?

CookiePie1
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 » January 12th, 2020, 4:45 pm

donutsandcupcakes wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 4:12 pm
will0416 wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 3:07 pm
donutsandcupcakes wrote:
Just making sure duct tape is allowed rt?
yeah totally.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

vehicleguy

Post by vehicleguy » January 13th, 2020, 6:55 am

What is the ideal ration of string length to parachute diameter? I can't find it anywhere, and I'm sure it has a crucial role in flight times.
2020- Gravity Vehicle-Ornithology-PPP-Wright Stuff
2019- Battery Buggy-ELG-Exp D-Herp-Potions-Roller Coaster
Feel free to PM me about any of my events.
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy

will0416
State: OH

Post by will0416 » January 13th, 2020, 7:16 am

vehicleguy wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 6:55 am
What is the ideal ration of string length to parachute diameter? I can't find it anywhere, and I'm sure it has a crucial role in flight times.
lol figuring that out is like half the event
Mason ‘22
2019 Nats:
Code - 4
Mission - 4

donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes » January 14th, 2020, 3:19 pm

vehicleguy wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 6:55 am
I read somewhere that ur strings should be the same length as the diameter of your parachute... but im not sure how true that is..

donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes » January 14th, 2020, 3:23 pm

I've noticed how some people put holes in the middle of thier parachute, could someone pls explain why people make a hole in the center of the parachute? Doesn't the hole make the parachute descend faster?

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”