Ping Pong Parachute B/C

SergioEdwards
Division: B
State: IN

Re: Ping Pong Parachute B/C

Post by SergioEdwards »

CookiePie1 wrote: March 4th, 2020, 9:39 pm
ajimenez wrote: March 4th, 2020, 8:30 pm
SergioEdwards wrote: September 5th, 2019, 10:36 am I actually did this event as a trial two years ago and we were only allowed to load to 40psi. I found that this gets it up pretty high and we got about 13-15 second launches. I'm hoping to get 30ish second launches this year! good luck everyone!
I am helping to coach this event and we are not getting over 5 seconds. Can you provide any tips? What is more important the bottle or the parachute?
Generally, my first priority would be to get your rocket to a point where it deploys consistlently, 100% of the time regardless of the room height or psi used. Then, you can work on optimizing your parachute to get the slowest descent rate possible.

What design are you using right now?
The design we used has a short bottle with the parachute in a canister with a removable lid, this allows the rocket to arc and the ping pong ball to deploy mid apex. I've found that with this design you can launch at almost any PSI. You might have to weight on a certain side to get the rocket to go to one side 100% of the time. Keep me updated on how your launches go!
Airco2020
Has thanked: 0

Post by Airco2020 »

ajimenez wrote: March 4th, 2020, 8:30 pm
SergioEdwards wrote: September 5th, 2019, 10:36 am I actually did this event as a trial two years ago and we were only allowed to load to 40psi. I found that this gets it up pretty high and we got about 13-15 second launches. I'm hoping to get 30ish second launches this year! good luck everyone!
I am helping to coach this event and we are not getting over 5 seconds. Can you provide any tips? What is more important the bottle or the parachute?
I think the best solutions send the rocket up straight and fall back down straight to get out of the way of the chute. Draping the chute over the rocket nose allows it to open when the rocket falls.
ajimenez
State: UT
Been thanked: 0

Post by ajimenez »

Right now we have a 1 liter bottle with no fins, a upside down up that has a funnel attached with string that sits in the cup. When the rocket falls the funnel falls out causing the parachute to deploy. The parachute is a circle with a 2" hole, about 24" with 8 shroud lines 30" long made from thin plastic.
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

ajimenez wrote: March 5th, 2020, 4:14 pm Right now we have a 1 liter bottle with no fins, a upside down up that has a funnel attached with string that sits in the cup. When the rocket falls the funnel falls out causing the parachute to deploy. The parachute is a circle with a 2" hole, about 24" with 8 shroud lines 30" long made from thin plastic.
I see. Have you been having good success with deployment? It sounds like your rocket might not always fly straight due to the lack of fins. As for the parachute, if it can fall stably without the middle hole, it might be good to get rid of it.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
ajimenez
State: UT

Post by ajimenez »

That's a negative on the successful deployment. We have tried folding, rolling up, sitting on top and draping over but nothing has been consistent. In our tests yesterday we had deployment a few time but it was very late almost halfway thru fall about 10-12 feet off the ground.
Airco2020

Post by Airco2020 »

ajimenez wrote: March 5th, 2020, 9:33 pm That's a negative on the successful deployment. We have tried folding, rolling up, sitting on top and draping over but nothing has been consistent. In our tests yesterday we had deployment a few time but it was very late almost halfway thru fall about 10-12 feet off the ground.
A lot of people are having success with the tube method. There are some Div B videos on YouTube I think I saw that will give you an idea of how it works.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

One rule that was being enforced at NJ states was the rule that said you can only launch a rocket if it had a log (implying you need a separate log for each rocket you bring) and they refused to let us use our second rocket. I reread the rules and can confirm that this is true, but has anyone had this enforced anywhere else at any competition?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

well, you wouldn't even have to deal with that if you did your flight log correctly. Lmao it doesn't even matter if the data is real, it just has to be there. But that's a spirit of the competition thing I assume.
These users thanked the author CookiePie1 for the post:
builderguy135 (March 10th, 2020, 5:21 pm)
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

CookiePie1 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 5:14 pm well, you wouldn't even have to deal with that if you did your flight log correctly. Lmao it doesn't even matter if the data is real, it just has to be there. But that's a spirit of the competition thing I assume.
Yea as a Supervisor I would only check for the log. As long as it seems to be in order there is no reason to stop launch unless the rocket violates construction parameters.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Kyky
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Kyky »

builderguy135 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 4:29 pm One rule that was being enforced at NJ states was the rule that said you can only launch a rocket if it had a log (implying you need a separate log for each rocket you bring) and they refused to let us use our second rocket. I reread the rules and can confirm that this is true, but has anyone had this enforced anywhere else at any competition?
Yes, I know that this was enforced at FM invy. I can't say that I saw it elsewhere, because for the majority, I saw a lot of teams only bring one rocket. And at regs, it does not seem to be enforced.
Eagle Hill Middle School
2019 Events: Herp <3 , WIDI, Game On, sorta Road
2020 Events: Orni, WIDI, PPP :P
2021 Events: :(

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”