Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Ping Pong Parachute B/C

Post by CookiePie1 »

Airco2020 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 12:54 pm
donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 20th, 2020, 12:47 pm
knightmoves wrote: February 20th, 2020, 12:43 pm

It'll be whatever the assigned event supervisor brings. But knowing "what kind" won't help you, as the differences will be down to that particular launcher, rather than the type of launcher. Just practice lots with your rocket, and you'll be in good shape.
Ok thanks and ANOTHER question, sorry :shock: , but what psi works best for you, since my rocket is kinda heavy I feel that 55 is always a minimum for me
You need to test and log your PSI/Height so you know when you get to competition. I'd work on reducing weight. You can only go to 65psi, so if you have a venue with a 30+ ft ceiling you won't be able to reach it which puts you at a big disadvantage.
Yes, the psi required for your rocket is unique to your rocket. For example, at Princeton, many teams were launching at upwards of 50, 55, even 60 psi but our rocket only needed about 40 to get close to the ceiling. So, tbh it doesn't really matter what psi others are using, you just need to calibrate your own rocket.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

CookiePie1 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 1:58 pm
Airco2020 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 12:54 pm
donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 20th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Ok thanks and ANOTHER question, sorry :shock: , but what psi works best for you, since my rocket is kinda heavy I feel that 55 is always a minimum for me
You need to test and log your PSI/Height so you know when you get to competition. I'd work on reducing weight. You can only go to 65psi, so if you have a venue with a 30+ ft ceiling you won't be able to reach it which puts you at a big disadvantage.
Yes, the psi required for your rocket is unique to your rocket. For example, at Princeton, many teams were launching at upwards of 50, 55, even 60 psi but our rocket only needed about 40 to get close to the ceiling. So, tbh it doesn't really matter what psi others are using, you just need to calibrate your own rocket.
Also want to point out that to us at least, the nerds inc launchers are very inconsistent between launches... 40 psi on one launch can go 15 ft while 40 psi on the second can go 25 ft.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
DaSun
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaSun »

Has anyone tried using toilet paper rolls for the fins yet? I'm not sure if they would be enough to stabilize the rocket during flight :oops:
THHS '21
2018: Microbe, Towers, Ecology
2019: Boomilever, Code Busters, WQ, WIDI
2020: Boomilever (1), Code Busters(1), PPP, WQ (1), WIDI (2)
2021: Code Busters, Digital Structures, WQ, WICI
HippoLowercase

Post by HippoLowercase »

How can you speed up the process of making a full parachute? Right now it takes me like 2 hours to make a 40-50 inch parachute. Is this average speed, or slow?
donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

Thank you, everyone, for your help, yet I have another question:

Scenario:
Me and my partner check-in with 2 rockets, a tube design(rocket A) and a non-tube design(rocket B). We launch rocket A and the let's say the bottle gets a crack in it, can we/ are we allowed to take out the tube from rocket A and put it on rocket B and launch rocket B with the tube for our second launch?
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

DaSun wrote: February 20th, 2020, 9:07 pm Has anyone tried using toilet paper rolls for the fins yet? I'm not sure if they would be enough to stabilize the rocket during flight :oops:
Yes I was wondering about this as well
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
HippoLowercase

Post by HippoLowercase »

Sometimes when my rocket launches, a hole tears in the plastic of my parachute. Is there any way to prevent this, or make it happen less often?
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

HippoLowercase wrote: February 25th, 2020, 5:58 pm Sometimes when my rocket launches, a hole tears in the plastic of my parachute. Is there any way to prevent this, or make it happen less often?
well, how are you loading up your parachutes? If they are resting against some jagged edges then they might be prone to break. Otherwise your material could be weak but I find this highly unlikely unless you're using something reallllly light and thin.
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

-Albert Einstein
HippoLowercase

Post by HippoLowercase »

CookiePie1 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 6:50 pm
HippoLowercase wrote: February 25th, 2020, 5:58 pm Sometimes when my rocket launches, a hole tears in the plastic of my parachute. Is there any way to prevent this, or make it happen less often?
well, how are you loading up your parachutes? If they are resting against some jagged edges then they might be prone to break. Otherwise your material could be weak but I find this highly unlikely unless you're using something reallllly light and thin.
I usually drape the plastic over the tube part of the rocket with the ping pong ball hanging off on the side of the rocket. It might be because of the plastic as well, but I'm not fully sure on what really thin is. I feel like the plastic I'm using is fairly light and thin though.
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

HippoLowercase wrote: February 25th, 2020, 7:35 pm
CookiePie1 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 6:50 pm
I usually drape the plastic over the tube part of the rocket with the ping pong ball hanging off on the side of the rocket. It might be because of the plastic as well, but I'm not fully sure on what really thin is. I feel like the plastic I'm using is fairly light and thin though.
hm yeah that probably shouldn't be happening. does the tube have any sharp burrs or anything? and where does the tear occur?

-Albert Einstein

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”