Ping Pong Parachute B/C

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Ping Pong Parachute B/C

Post by windu34 »

Ping Pong Parachute B/C: Prior to the tournament, teams will design, build and bring up to two bottle rockets to the tournament to launch a ping pong ball attached to a parachute to stay aloft for the greatest amount of time.

Indoor Bottle Rocket Wiki

Past Threads: 2018
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ping Pong Parachute B/C

Post by andrewwski »

Looks like the rules do not give a maximum allowable pressure? This is going to need to be addressed.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

andrewwski wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 11:41 am Looks like the rules do not give a maximum allowable pressure? This is going to need to be addressed.
Well 4.b. requires that teams justify their pressure selection using past trials (which should indicate their device can tolerate that pressure), and 5.c. requires the ES to verify they actually pressurized the device to the stated pressure. Also, since hitting the ceiling incurs a large penalty (Tier 3), I don't think in most spaces that an extremely high pressure would offer any advantage...
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jaggie34
State: GA

Post by jaggie34 »

I'm curious, how long does everyone think top times will end up being?
Boca Raton High School -> Georgia Tech
It's About Time writer/co-writer: Golden Gate, Georgia States
Ping Pong Parachute co-ES: MIT
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion!
and Circuit Lab too I guess
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

nicholasmaurer wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 11:56 am
andrewwski wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 11:41 am Looks like the rules do not give a maximum allowable pressure? This is going to need to be addressed.
Well 4.b. requires that teams justify their pressure selection using past trials (which should indicate their device can tolerate that pressure), and 5.c. requires the ES to verify they actually pressurized the device to the stated pressure. Also, since hitting the ceiling incurs a large penalty (Tier 3), I don't think in most spaces that an extremely high pressure would offer any advantage...
That doesn't stop a team from trying a pressure that is too high during their testing. An exploding bottle can be dangerous, a maximum pressure would not give teams incentive to try any higher.

As an event supervisor, I'm also not going to trust the logs that any teams bring. I know especially at invitationals and regionals, a lot of them are made up (some of them probably the morning of).

There's also going to be statistical variation in the actual pressure that a bottle fails at, and there may even be weakening over multiple cycles. Just because a bottle handles 100 psi once doesn't mean it will continue to.
jaggie34

Post by jaggie34 »

andrewwski wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 1:21 pm
That doesn't stop a team from trying a pressure that is too high during their testing. An exploding bottle can be dangerous, a maximum pressure would not give teams incentive to try any higher.

As an event supervisor, I'm also not going to trust the logs that any teams bring. I know especially at invitationals and regionals, a lot of them are made up (some of them probably the morning of).

There's also going to be statistical variation in the actual pressure that a bottle fails at, and there may even be weakening over multiple cycles. Just because a bottle handles 100 psi once doesn't mean it will continue to.
Hopefully the pressure that teams will submit wont be great enough to cause the bottle to fail
Boca Raton High School -> Georgia Tech
It's About Time writer/co-writer: Golden Gate, Georgia States
Ping Pong Parachute co-ES: MIT
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion!
and Circuit Lab too I guess
Unome

Post by Unome »

I thought much the same thing (in a less sophisticated internal monologue :P ) when I heard about this at SOSI.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

jaggie34 wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 1:16 pm I'm curious, how long does everyone think top times will end up being?
A time of around 7? Seconds I think won first at nj states (trial event).
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

sciolyperson1 wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 3:23 pm
jaggie34 wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 1:16 pm I'm curious, how long does everyone think top times will end up being?
A time of around 7? Seconds I think won first at nj states (trial event).
That was 40 psi. Only went up a few feet. It's gonna be much higher this year, expect 10-20 second times.

Also, some launchers won't even go up to 100 psi. The one I used last year to practice only got up to 75, which already goes extremely high with 1 liter bottles. (50 feet?)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

Unome wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 3:10 pm

I thought much the same thing (in a less sophisticated internal monologue :P ) when I heard about this at SOSI.
So - this (lack of maximum pressure specification) is intentional?

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”