Parachute Payload System

kulwadee
Division: B
State: NC

Parachute Payload System

Post by kulwadee » November 25th, 2019, 5:11 pm

I am a new coach to this event. In the past, students have attached a plastic tube to the top of their rocket and then placed the ping pong onto the tube. This year's rules do not specify that they can do that. Does that mean that the students cannot attach a long plastic tube to the top anymore? If not, do they need to figure out another way to deploy the parachute? If there is no tube, then how can they place their ping pong on top of the rocket? It says that the nose of the rocket needs to be rounded, so that means that the ping pong can't really sit on top of the nose.

sciolyperson1
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Parachute Payload System

Post by sciolyperson1 » November 25th, 2019, 5:43 pm

kulwadee wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 5:11 pm
I am a new coach to this event. In the past, students have attached a plastic tube to the top of their rocket and then placed the ping pong onto the tube. This year's rules do not specify that they can do that. Does that mean that the students cannot attach a long plastic tube to the top anymore? If not, do they need to figure out another way to deploy the parachute? If there is no tube, then how can they place their ping pong on top of the rocket? It says that the nose of the rocket needs to be rounded, so that means that the ping pong can't really sit on top of the nose.
No rules prevent your students from placing a tube on top of the rocket.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
sciolyperson1's Userpage
Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

MIT:
Gravity - 1st '20

'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP
Vehicle event medalling streak - 0 :(
Rate my tests!

CookiePie1

Post by CookiePie1 » November 25th, 2019, 6:03 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 5:43 pm
kulwadee wrote:
i hate to say it, but the long-tube-that-goes-all-the-way-up-to-the-celing design hasn't worked particularly well in practice, from what I've seen the past two years...
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

sciolyperson1

Post by sciolyperson1 » November 25th, 2019, 6:05 pm

CookiePie1 wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 6:03 pm
sciolyperson1 wrote:
kulwadee wrote:
i hate to say it, but the long-tube-that-goes-all-the-way-up-to-the-celing design hasn't worked particularly well in practice, from what I've seen the past two years...
Obviously not that tall but something like a 50cm tube is fine.
sciolyperson1's Userpage
Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

MIT:
Gravity - 1st '20

Rate my tests!

Airco2020

Post by Airco2020 » November 25th, 2019, 6:07 pm

CookiePie1 wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 6:03 pm
sciolyperson1 wrote:
kulwadee wrote:
I think that strategy might be good if the launch is psi limited like 20lbs, but this year you can hit the ceiling in most places so I don't think there is a benefit.

scienceolympiadams

Post by scienceolympiadams » December 29th, 2019, 3:07 pm

As a team is building the ping pong parachute we keep getting stuck on a few things which is a deployment mechanism for the parachute.

Can the payload system has some kind of a nonmetal timer or a rubber band usage to deploy the Ping parachute?

We saw some of the images in the PowerPoint given not sure if those are allowed within the rules. Can The payload system deployment to launch the parachute. Any clarification or help would be appreciated

sciolyperson1

Post by sciolyperson1 » December 29th, 2019, 7:19 pm

scienceolympiadams wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 3:07 pm
As a team is building the ping pong parachute we keep getting stuck on a few things which is a deployment mechanism for the parachute.
Can the payload system has some kind of a nonmetal timer or a rubber band usage to deploy the Ping parachute?
You wouldn't need timers, you just need to design the rocket so that once the rocket starts falling, the parachute deploys. It could potentially be a part of the rocket that falls off, allowing the parachute to fall out and deploy or something similar.
We saw some of the images in the PowerPoint given not sure if those are allowed within the rules. Can The payload system deployment to launch the parachute.
What do you mean by this?
sciolyperson1's Userpage
Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

MIT:
Gravity - 1st '20

Rate my tests!

CookiePie1

Post by CookiePie1 » December 31st, 2019, 8:38 am

I'm fairly certain that a rubber band would be considered an elastic flight assist. If anything, it's an alternate source of energy and wouldn't be allowed.
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

Micker
State: IL

Post by Micker » January 4th, 2020, 2:59 pm

In the rules it says “the ping pong ball attached to the parachute assembly makes up the parachute payload system.” Does this mean that taping things like coins or extra weight onto the ball is not allowed? I’m having in issue where the ping pong ball isn’t heavy enough to drag down the parachute and it ends up flopping on its side. However, when I taped more weight onto the ball, it was much more stable when falling.

CookiePie1

Post by CookiePie1 » January 5th, 2020, 5:08 pm

you can't use coins because they're metal. but you can try things like clay or stuff as long as it's taped on.

-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”