Division: C
State: MI

Re: Parachute Payload System

Post by xiangyu » January 10th, 2020, 9:51 am

will0416 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 5:39 am
gmui wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 9:35 pm
Has anyone competed at an invitational using this approach and can confirm it was considered legal?

That would certainly make this easier if that's true - i.e. tube opening being sufficient and allowed?
was legal at northview. I don't see why the event supervisors at that regionals mandated a nose "cone", the tube definitely passes both the bluntness and bottle cap test
Did anyone appeal? Idk how the appeal process works but it seems only fair to give teams a chance to explain...
2020 Events: Wright Stuff, Gravity Vehicle. Circuit Lab, Boomilever, Ping-Pong Parachute, WIDI

Inv.1/Inv.2/Reg
WS: 4/1st :D /
WIDI: 13/2nd :o /
Boom: 1st/1st :D /
Circuit: 15/7 :) /
GV: - /5 :? /
PPP: - /6 :cry: /

Medal & Ribbon Count: 8
East Grand Rapids High School Team Captain

builderguy135
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 » January 10th, 2020, 4:59 pm

will0416 wrote:
gmui wrote:
Has anyone competed at an invitational using this approach and can confirm it was considered legal?

That would certainly make this easier if that's true - i.e. tube opening being sufficient and allowed?
was legal at northview. I don't see why the event supervisors at that regionals mandated a nose "cone", the tube definitely passes both the bluntness and bottle cap test
they pulled a "spirit of the rules" card on me, lol.
HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019
2020 Sounds MIT and Princeton Champion
2020 Events: PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/PaRaSiToLoGy

gmui
Division: B
State: NY

Post by gmui » January 10th, 2020, 5:58 pm

builderguy135 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 4:59 pm
will0416 wrote:
gmui wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I'd assume that invitationals are more lenient with the rules but that's why I wouldn't risk going with an 'open tube' nose cone as it's too up for interpretation on whether the edge is considered blunt or not. That's probably the more difficult part of this event though so I kind of get that it wasn't intended to be that easy.

xiangyu

Post by xiangyu » January 10th, 2020, 6:32 pm

gmui wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 5:58 pm
builderguy135 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 4:59 pm
will0416 wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I'd assume that invitationals are more lenient with the rules but that's why I wouldn't risk going with an 'open tube' nose cone as it's too up for interpretation on whether the edge is considered blunt or not. That's probably the more difficult part of this event though so I kind of get that it wasn't intended to be that easy.
I think if we just bring an extra actual nosecone we'll be safe right? If the judge won't allow the open tube design we can just quickly put that extra nosecone on top...
2020 Events: Wright Stuff, Gravity Vehicle. Circuit Lab, Boomilever, Ping-Pong Parachute, WIDI

Inv.1/Inv.2/Reg

megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Post by megrimlockawesom » January 13th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Micker wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 2:59 pm
In the rules it says “the ping pong ball attached to the parachute assembly makes up the parachute payload system.” Does this mean that taping things like coins or extra weight onto the ball is not allowed? I’m having in issue where the ping pong ball isn’t heavy enough to drag down the parachute and it ends up flopping on its side. However, when I taped more weight onto the ball, it was much more stable when falling.
I would assume that would be a violation of the rules, yes.

If your ping pong ball is too heavy, try using heavier adhesives to attach the string to the ball.
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute

SPP SciO

Post by SPP SciO » January 14th, 2020, 3:56 am

For whatever it’s worth - Our teams have had success making a “basket” for the ball out of a small piece of plastic. We found that not having to tape shroud lines directly to the ball reduced tangles or twisting and deployment was more consistent. Dry cleaning bags and thin cotton string have been the preferred materials for us.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

will0416
State: OH

Post by will0416 » January 14th, 2020, 10:13 am

SPP SciO wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 3:56 am
For whatever it’s worth - Our teams have had success making a “basket” for the ball out of a small piece of plastic. We found that not having to tape shroud lines directly to the ball reduced tangles or twisting and deployment was more consistent. Dry cleaning bags and thin cotton string have been the preferred materials for us.
I don't think that most event supervisors would consider that a "payload system". Relying on that basket as a stability booster at a competition could be a toss-up between a construction violation or not based on my interpretation of rule 2b.
Last edited by will0416 on January 14th, 2020, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mason ‘22
2019 Nats:
Code - 4
Mission - 4

xiangyu

Post by xiangyu » January 14th, 2020, 11:53 am

will0416 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 10:13 am
SPP SciO wrote:
I don't think that most event supervisors would consider that a "payload system". Relying on that basket as a stability booster at a competition could be a toss-up between a construction violation or not based on my interpretation of rule 2a.
Also based on my interpretation of rule 2b, you have to tape string directly to ping pong.

Inv.1/Inv.2/Reg

SPP SciO

Post by SPP SciO » January 14th, 2020, 4:13 pm

xiangyu wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 11:53 am
will0416 wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:
I don't think that most event supervisors would consider that a "payload system". Relying on that basket as a stability booster at a competition could be a toss-up between a construction violation or not based on my interpretation of rule 2a.
Also based on my interpretation of rule 2b, you have to tape string directly to ping pong.
Interesting interpretation. They haven’t used that in an official competition so it hasn’t been an issue yet. Rule 2b doesn’t mention string whatsoever though - just “parachute”. I had been interpreting “tape only” to mean no glue or ball-altering hardware.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

will0416
State: OH

Post by will0416 » January 14th, 2020, 5:39 pm

SPP SciO wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 4:13 pm
xiangyu wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 11:53 am
will0416 wrote:

Interesting interpretation. They haven’t used that in an official competition so it hasn’t been an issue yet. Rule 2b doesn’t mention string whatsoever though - just “parachute”. I had been interpreting “tape only” to mean no glue or ball-altering hardware.
I think xiangyu's train of thought was that the rule describing that parachutes "must be attached to ping pong balls with tape only" implied that you have to attach your string (or whatever you are using to connect the parachute to the ball) to the ping pong ball directly rather than to a vessel carrying the ball. I interpreted the rule similarly, focusing more on the part describing the attachment to the ping pong balls rather than the part addressing the tape.
Mason ‘22
2019 Nats:
Code - 4
Mission - 4

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”