HELP NEEDED ASAP COMP NEXT WEEK

sciolynoob
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: November 21st, 2019, 7:33 pm
Division: C
State: CA

HELP NEEDED ASAP COMP NEXT WEEK

Post by sciolynoob » January 4th, 2020, 5:02 pm

Hi,
We have some questions, our comp is next week. First off, our parachute isn't deploying properly. It gets stuck inside the cone. Even if it comes out, it still doesn't release. We are folding it into thirds right now. In addition, we are struggling with fins. What size is optimal? All the results are really inconsistent. Finally, does a funnel facing up with a cone on top of it fit the rules?


Thanks

EKT26
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: October 25th, 2019, 4:32 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Out here

Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP COMP NEXT WEEK

Post by EKT26 » January 4th, 2020, 6:01 pm

From one noob to another

Don’t use folds. We had release issues too with folds). The industries that use folds have parachutes deploying at much higher falling velocities and would only work at ridiculously high competitions (Cornell)

I would not use a nose cone. Again it’s just another complication used in different contexts.

Honestly idk about fin-size but if your bottles have launching stability issues fins are an easy way to make them bottom heavy. Fins should definitely not come out more than a bottle’s diameter.

The idea with the tube and the upside down thingamabob is legal. (#1 Most Important Tip For any event: Know your rules!)
Kellenberg: 2020
Bro. Fox Latin School: 2017-2019

Astronomy, Machines, Disease Detectives, and Ping-Pong Parachute are where I’m at.

User avatar
megrimlockawesom
Member
Member
Posts: 83
Joined: October 14th, 2017, 5:44 pm
Division: C
State: NC

Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP COMP NEXT WEEK

Post by megrimlockawesom » January 13th, 2020, 4:45 pm

sciolynoob wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 5:02 pm
Hi,
We have some questions, our comp is next week. First off, our parachute isn't deploying properly. It gets stuck inside the cone. Even if it comes out, it still doesn't release. We are folding it into thirds right now. In addition, we are struggling with fins. What size is optimal? All the results are really inconsistent. Finally, does a funnel facing up with a cone on top of it fit the rules?


Thanks
I know it's probably too late for you but for fins, I would make multiple rockets for different sets of fins and see which one works best.

What do you mean by "it gets stuck inside the cone" what kind of design are you using?
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute

LisaKAPham
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: September 2nd, 2019, 11:50 am

Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP COMP NEXT WEEK

Post by LisaKAPham » January 13th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Honestly you really don't need fins. You also really don't need to fold the parachute just place it on the bottle. Finally DONT put something on top of your parachute. it won't be able to open.

sciolynoob
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: November 21st, 2019, 7:33 pm
Division: C
State: CA

Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP COMP NEXT WEEK

Post by sciolynoob » January 13th, 2020, 8:40 pm

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the help!! With help of the wind, we got first place!! We ended up using triangular fins and just put the parachute in, without folding it. We got 33 seconds in NorCal, so outside.

User avatar
xiangyu
Member
Member
Posts: 214
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 8:32 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Location: Where you can't find me.

Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP COMP NEXT WEEK

Post by xiangyu » January 14th, 2020, 11:57 am

sciolynoob wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 8:40 pm
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the help!! With help of the wind, we got first place!! We ended up using triangular fins and just put the parachute in, without folding it. We got 33 seconds in NorCal, so outside.
Waaiiittt, the event was held outside? I thought it has to be indoors hmmm :?: . 33 seconds sounds pretty good, how high did you launch your rocket? (since it's outside...)

Xiangyu
2020 Events: Wright Stuff, Gravity Vehicle. Circuit Lab, Boomilever, Ping-Pong Parachute, WIDI, Machines

Inv.1/Inv.2/Reg
WS: 4/
WIDI: 13/
Boom: 1/
Circuit: 15/
GV: - /
PPP: - /

Medal Count: 4
East Grand Rapids High School Team Captain

sciolynoob
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: November 21st, 2019, 7:33 pm
Division: C
State: CA

Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP COMP NEXT WEEK

Post by sciolynoob » January 14th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Since NorCal has liability issues, ping pong parachute is held outdoors. This should only be for NorCal though. As for the height, I don't remember, but it was around 30 feet I think. We most definitely were not the highest that day.

User avatar
builderguy135
Member
Member
Posts: 572
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP COMP NEXT WEEK

Post by builderguy135 » January 14th, 2020, 2:01 pm

xiangyu wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 11:57 am
sciolynoob wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 8:40 pm
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the help!! With help of the wind, we got first place!! We ended up using triangular fins and just put the parachute in, without folding it. We got 33 seconds in NorCal, so outside.
Waaiiittt, the event was held outside? I thought it has to be indoors hmmm :?: . 33 seconds sounds pretty good, how high did you launch your rocket? (since it's outside...)

Xiangyu
Don't take this too seriously, it's likely not as impressive as it seems. I once saw a parachute fly away after launching it outside (I have videos lol). Also, there's no height limit either
HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019
2020 Sounds MIT and Princeton Champion
2020 Events: PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/PaRaSiToLoGy

User avatar
CookiePie1
Member
Member
Posts: 307
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: Am I here? Or there? Or both...?

Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP COMP NEXT WEEK

Post by CookiePie1 » January 14th, 2020, 4:05 pm

honestly, launching outside is so inconsistent and very susceptible to changing winds and other factors. There's also the risk that it will rain (like in NJ 2017 states)
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

sciolynoob
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: November 21st, 2019, 7:33 pm
Division: C
State: CA

Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP COMP NEXT WEEK

Post by sciolynoob » January 14th, 2020, 4:41 pm

CookiePie1 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 4:05 pm
honestly, launching outside is so inconsistent and very susceptible to changing winds and other factors. There's also the risk that it will rain (like in NJ 2017 states)
There was a div b team whos ping pong parachute got blown upwards and it went over the street bc of wind lol

Post Reply

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests