Direction Confusion

rowhen2023
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0

Direction Confusion

Post by rowhen2023 »

My partner and i are new to this competition, and in the directions it’s states that you are allowed to only use tape to attach the ping pong ball the the parachute. Does this mean we can still use string?
xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Direction Confusion

Post by xiangyu »

Strings are fine. Parachute assembly include the actual canopy and the shroud lines.
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

rowhen2023 wrote: February 1st, 2020, 3:56 pm My partner and i are new to this competition, and in the directions it’s states that you are allowed to only use tape to attach the ping pong ball the the parachute. Does this mean we can still use string?
I'm pretty sure that when they say u can use only tape, they mean that u cant use glue on your parachute and ping pong ball. You can have strings but it can be attached to parachute and ping pong ball ONLY using TAPE.

Hope that helps
DerechosRYummy
State: VA
Been thanked: 0

Post by DerechosRYummy »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 7:37 am
rowhen2023 wrote: February 1st, 2020, 3:56 pm My partner and i are new to this competition, and in the directions it’s states that you are allowed to only use tape to attach the ping pong ball the the parachute. Does this mean we can still use string?
I'm pretty sure that when they say u can use only tape, they mean that u cant use glue on your parachute and ping pong ball. You can have strings but it can be attached to parachute and ping pong ball ONLY using TAPE.

Hope that helps
According to the event supervisor from VA, this means that the strings cannot directly touch the ball. We wrap the end of the strings in tape and then attach it to the ball with more tape, which barely adds any weight. Some states may interpret differently though...
donutsandcupcakes

DerechosRYummy wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 7:17 pm

Hope that helps
According to the event supervisor from VA, this means that the strings cannot directly touch the ball. We wrap the end of the strings in tape and then attach it to the ball with more tape, which barely adds any weight. Some states may interpret differently though...
Wait really? So I can be DQ for taping strings directly... thanks for letting me know, now I can make the rest of my parachutes correctly!
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 5:17 am

Hope that helps
Wait really? So I can be DQ for taping strings directly... thanks for letting me know, now I can make the rest of my parachutes correctly!
In VA, I think that they can DQ for taping strings directly, but it's not actually a clarification. I'd wrap the ends of the string in tape to be safe, but just make sure that the strings aren't going to fall off.
donutsandcupcakes

DerechosRYummy wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 8:56 am

In VA, I think that they can DQ for taping strings directly, but it's not actually a clarification. I'd wrap the ends of the string in tape to be safe, but just make sure that the strings aren't going to fall off.
Thanks, the parachute always took long to build now there is extra work :cry:
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 9:12 am
Yup...Btw do your strings ever get tangled? Cuz sometimes ours will and we have to take off the tape, untangle the ends, and then redo the taping (that happened at a tournament :cry:)
donutsandcupcakes

DerechosRYummy wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 9:37 am

Yup...Btw do your strings ever get tangled? Cuz sometimes ours will and we have to take off the tape, untangle the ends, and then redo the taping (that happened at a tournament :cry:)
Ours do get tangled but after so many tangles we now know how to untangle it without taking out tape so that helps, but sometimes the tangles r so bad that we HAVE to take the tape out. But people suggest taping strings on ping pong individually (it reduces tangling and it makes it easier to untangle).
That's one of the things I was worried about, do they give you enough time to untangle your parachute?
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 24th, 2020, 2:38 am
DerechosRYummy wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 9:37 am
Ours do get tangled but after so many tangles we now know how to untangle it without taking out tape so that helps, but sometimes the tangles r so bad that we HAVE to take the tape out. But people suggest taping strings on ping pong individually (it reduces tangling and it makes it easier to untangle).
That's one of the things I was worried about, do they give you enough time to untangle your parachute?
I'm assuming by they you mean the event supervisor? At one of our tournaments, we had really bad tangles right before we were going to go, so we just spent about 5 minutes to repair, and then went to the event supervisor. I'd recommend making sure that your parachute is untangled before going up to the event supervisor, as you might not have enough repair time.

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”