Rocket Assembly, Am I able to use paper towel holder

rowhen2023
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0

Rocket Assembly, Am I able to use paper towel holder

Post by rowhen2023 »

For our rocket we used a full bottle, than the top half of another bottle and attached it to the bottom of the first. We then attached a paper towel holder to the half cut battle cap and used that to put out parachute on. I just wanted to make sure it was allowed to have that on our rocket. And what to the directions mean by nothing inside the cap of the bottle?
lumps
Division: B
State: CA

Re: Rocket Assembly, Am I able to use paper towel holder

Post by lumps »

I can't answer the first question since I'm really not sure what's allowed myself, but I can answer the second. That just means that the nose cone of the bottle should be blunt so that if the rocket falls down, a sharp edge won't be hurting anybody. The bottle cap rule is a way to test if the nose cone is blunt enough. Take the bottle cap and just put it all over the nose cone, and if any part of it touches the inside, that means it is too sharp. hope that helps :)
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

rowhen2023 wrote: February 5th, 2020, 12:53 pm For our rocket we used a full bottle, than the top half of another bottle and attached it to the bottom of the first. We then attached a paper towel holder to the half cut battle cap and used that to put out parachute on. I just wanted to make sure it was allowed to have that on our rocket. And what to the directions mean by nothing inside the cap of the bottle?
as long as everything touching the bottle is attached with tape and it passes the bottle cap rule as lumps described, it is perfectly legal.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

CookiePie1 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 11:50 am
rowhen2023 wrote: February 5th, 2020, 12:53 pm For our rocket we used a full bottle, than the top half of another bottle and attached it to the bottom of the first. We then attached a paper towel holder to the half cut battle cap and used that to put out parachute on. I just wanted to make sure it was allowed to have that on our rocket. And what to the directions mean by nothing inside the cap of the bottle?
as long as everything touching the bottle is attached with tape and it passes the bottle cap rule as lumps described, it is perfectly legal.
It's also possible to try a similar strategy with a tubes by resting the ping pong ball directly at the top of the tube. It doesn't fall off during launch and when used correctly can deploy very fast. It also reduces rocket tilt during launch.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

builderguy135 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 12:10 pm
CookiePie1 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 11:50 am
It's also possible to try a similar strategy with a tubes by resting the ping pong ball directly at the top of the tube. It doesn't fall off during launch and when used correctly can deploy very fast. It also reduces rocket tilt during launch.
we've tried that before but our main issue with that is the reliability. If your rocket tends to fly sideways the deployment isn't always guaranteed in the way you want it to.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Post by megrimlockawesom »

I would use a tube light protector over the paper towel holder but it is still legal.
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”