Parachute help por favor

EnvyLoveScience
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Parachute help por favor

Post by EnvyLoveScience » February 12th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Heyyy, my partner and i are having complications with our parachute. When we launch, our parachute does not open up when it falls, The ball also lands on top of the parachute, which pulls it down. Right now we think it may be too big. We used a clear trash bag that was very light weight. Can we know a good parachute size to compliment it? Thank you. 8-)

CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Parachute help por favor

Post by CookiePie1 » February 12th, 2020, 2:49 pm

EnvyLoveScience wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 2:11 pm
Heyyy, my partner and i are having complications with our parachute. When we launch, our parachute does not open up when it falls, The ball also lands on top of the parachute, which pulls it down. Right now we think it may be too big. We used a clear trash bag that was very light weight. Can we know a good parachute size to compliment it? Thank you. 8-)
Hey,

If you could give us some more details on what exactly is happening, we might be better suited to help you. Are you using the tube deisgn? how long are your cords in relation to the parachute radius? Is the canopy lighter or heavier than the ping pong ball?
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

EnvyLoveScience

Post by EnvyLoveScience » February 12th, 2020, 11:40 pm

Thank you for responding, we are using a wide nose cone and placing our parachute on top. The cords are are double the length of our radius and our parachute material is lighter than our ping pong ball.

CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 » February 13th, 2020, 6:01 am

EnvyLoveScience wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 11:40 pm
Thank you for responding, we are using a wide nose cone and placing our parachute on top. The cords are are double the length of our radius and our parachute material is lighter than our ping pong ball.
is your rocket flipping midflight? that could be causing your parachute to deploy upside down.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

jaggie34
State: FL

Post by jaggie34 » February 13th, 2020, 11:41 am

EnvyLoveScience wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 2:11 pm
This sounds odd, but try flipping the parachute and ball, i.e. if rn you have the parachute on top of the ball, put the ball on top of the parachute. It sounds counter intuitive, but it might work if you try it
Boca Raton Community High School
Events: Circuit Lab, Machines, Ping Pong Parachute, Codebusters
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion (until they come back :D )
I like circuits :idea:
Click here to meet my hero!

EnvyLoveScience

Post by EnvyLoveScience » February 13th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Thank you we will try putting the ball on top. Our rocket is not flipping mid-flight. In fact one of the parachute's sides is folding in.

sciencenerd123

Post by sciencenerd123 » February 15th, 2020, 8:51 am

EnvyLoveScience wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 1:11 pm
Thank you we will try putting the ball on top. Our rocket is not flipping mid-flight. In fact one of the parachute's sides is folding in.
I'm responding late, hopefully your problem is already solved, but if one of your sides are folding in then that could mean that your chords aren't even, maybe check to see if your strings are all the same size, but hopefully, the issue is already fixed, :)

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”