What is Parachute breaks?

donutsandcupcakes

What is Parachute breaks?

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

Hi,

So in the rules, it says that we have to bring 2 rockets, 2 parachutes, etc. So my question is that if I'm testing my rocket A at the comp. and let's say a fin comes out after launch 1, am I ALLOWED to use tape to fix my fin then use the same rocket for launch 2 or do I have to use my rocket B? So basically my question is "Am I allowed to fix my rocket after launch A so that I can use the same rocket AGAIN for launch B?"

Hopefully, I worded that rt...
Wolf865
State: TN
Has thanked: 0

Re: What is Parachute breaks?

Post by Wolf865 »

You MAY bring up to 2 rockets, or fire 1 rocket twice. You have 5 minutes, I would think you'd have the option to fix the fin and fire it a second time as long as the repair is inspected by the judge to ensure it meets requirements and it's within your 5 minute time allotment. If it's not specifically addressed in the rules (https://store.soinc.org/us/page/manuals ... llfilter=1) then you should have some leeway.
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 16th, 2020, 11:21 am Hi,

So in the rules, it says that we have to bring 2 rockets, 2 parachutes, etc. So my question is that if I'm testing my rocket A at the comp. and let's say a fin comes out after launch 1, am I ALLOWED to use tape to fix my fin then use the same rocket for launch 2 or do I have to use my rocket B? So basically my question is "Am I allowed to fix my rocket after launch A so that I can use the same rocket AGAIN for launch B?"

Hopefully, I worded that rt...
As a supervisor I see no reason for you to not reuse the same rocket after repairs are made in the allotted time. As long as said rocket is within the construction parameters there should be no issue. Now I would still ask the supervisor as each one has a slightly different view on the rules, but otherwise I would say you are fine.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
donutsandcupcakes

Thank you everyone for your responses but I have another question(relates to the previous one):

Scenario:
Me and my partner check-in with 2 rockets, a tube design(rocket A) and a non-tube design(rocket B). We launch rocket A and the let's say the bottle gets a crack in it, can we/ are we allowed to take out the tube from rocket A and put it on rocket B and launch rocket B with the tube for our second launch?
DerechosRYummy
Division: C
State: VA
Been thanked: 0

Post by DerechosRYummy »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 5:50 am Thank you everyone for your responses but I have another question(relates to the previous one):

Scenario:
Me and my partner check-in with 2 rockets, a tube design(rocket A) and a non-tube design(rocket B). We launch rocket A and the let's say the bottle gets a crack in it, can we/ are we allowed to take out the tube from rocket A and put it on rocket B and launch rocket B with the tube for our second launch?
I would say that the best solution is to just submit a clarification, as each state usually interprets things differently. I'm from VA, and I'm planning on asking my coach to submit a question about this. A clarification seems like the best option, so that you can get a definite answer from your state.
donutsandcupcakes

DerechosRYummy wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 9:03 am
donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 5:50 am Thank you everyone for your responses but I have another question(relates to the previous one):

Scenario:
I would say that the best solution is to just submit a clarification, as each state usually interprets things differently. I'm from VA, and I'm planning on asking my coach to submit a question about this. A clarification seems like the best option, so that you can get a definite answer from your state.
Thanks, I posted my question on my state's twitter page, hoping to get a response soon, I will update everyone (but it might not be the same for other states) but fingers crossed its allowed
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 9:14 am

Scenario:
Thanks, I posted my question on my state's twitter page, hoping to get a response soon, I will update everyone (but it might not be the same for other states) but fingers crossed its allowed
Yeah, I'll do the same. If they say no, the best option might just be to make 2 copies of your competition parachute and rocket (tube has worked much better for us, so all of our rockets have tubes). If something breaks during the tournament, you'll have a second rocket/parachute, so it won't really matter.
donutsandcupcakes

DerechosRYummy wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 9:41 am

Yeah, I'll do the same. If they say no, the best option might just be to make 2 copies of your competition parachute and rocket (tube has worked much better for us, so all of our rockets have tubes). If something breaks during the tournament, you'll have a second rocket/parachute, so it won't really matter.
Agree!
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 24th, 2020, 2:39 am
Agree!
I talked to my coaches today and they said that we'll probably be able to make repairs, but they don't think that it's a question meant for clarifications. I'm going to bring 2 of the same design just to be safe.
donutsandcupcakes

DerechosRYummy wrote: February 24th, 2020, 3:46 pm
donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 24th, 2020, 2:39 am

Agree!
I talked to my coaches today and they said that we'll probably be able to make repairs, but they don't think that it's a question meant for clarifications. I'm going to bring 2 of the same design just to be safe.
I haven't gotten a response yet(they liked my comment but didn't respond :lol: ), yeah 2 rockets would be safer.

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”