Carbonated Beverage Bottle

Wolf865
State: TN
Has thanked: 0

Carbonated Beverage Bottle

Post by Wolf865 »

Are they strict on the requirement that the bottle must have contained a carbonated beverage? I can see the logic that you'd think carbonated bottles are made to withstand more pressure but our non-carbonated bottles are holding up just as well. If we document in our record book that bottle X has withstood umpteen pounds of pressure without failure. Also, can someone provide some links to where we can download some record log templates so we don't go out and reinvent the wheel? Thx!
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Re: Carbonated Beverage Bottle

Post by JonB »

Wolf865 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 10:21 pm Are they strict on the requirement that the bottle must have contained a carbonated beverage? I can see the logic that you'd think carbonated bottles are made to withstand more pressure but our non-carbonated bottles are holding up just as well. If we document in our record book that bottle X has withstood umpteen pounds of pressure without failure. Also, can someone provide some links to where we can download some record log templates so we don't go out and reinvent the wheel? Thx!
They should be strict about this rule, and they usually are. Just because the non-carbonated bottle is holding the pressure this time, doesn't mean it will hold it next time.
smayya337
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by smayya337 »

Wolf865 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 10:21 pm Are they strict on the requirement that the bottle must have contained a carbonated beverage? I can see the logic that you'd think carbonated bottles are made to withstand more pressure but our non-carbonated bottles are holding up just as well. If we document in our record book that bottle X has withstood umpteen pounds of pressure without failure. Also, can someone provide some links to where we can download some record log templates so we don't go out and reinvent the wheel? Thx!
I know teams that have been tiered for not using a carbonated bottle, so yeah, they're strict, and it's really not worth the risk. As JonB mentioned, the carbonated bottle is probably less susceptible to failure over time given the high pressures, so it's still a better choice in terms of longevity. (Besides, carbonated bottles are cheap and easy to find!) Just make sure the bottle has the correct dimensions - some teams at CMU got DQed because their neck heights were greater than 1.6 cm, even though they were using common carbonated beverage bottles.
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Yes. The rules require you to present the label to the ES for a reason. My experience is that people who show up with bottles from still drinks don't get allowed to compete, and get participation points only.
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

knightmoves wrote: February 17th, 2020, 9:54 am
Yes. The rules require you to present the label to the ES for a reason. My experience is that people who show up with bottles from still drinks don't get allowed to compete, and get participation points only.
I can't tell you how many smart water bottles i've seen. And it's so sad...:(
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
TheChiScientist
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

CookiePie1 wrote: February 17th, 2020, 9:56 am
As a State Supervisor for PPP we will enforce the carbonated water bottle rule. It's plain simple. We don't want a rocket becoming a frag grenade on the launchpad. Smart Water is a non carbonated bottle and we have to tell them it is against the rules. Double check that your materials are allowed by the rules.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

TheChiScientist wrote: February 18th, 2020, 7:19 am

As a State Supervisor for PPP we will enforce the carbonated water bottle rule. It's plain simple. We don't want a rocket becoming a frag grenade on the launchpad. Smart Water is a non carbonated bottle and we have to tell them it is against the rules. Double check that your materials are allowed by the rules.
I am also a State Event Supervisor for PPP and we will be enforcing this strictly in Ohio as well.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
DerechosRYummy
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DerechosRYummy »

nicholasmaurer wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 5:46 pm
TheChiScientist wrote: February 18th, 2020, 7:19 am

I am also a State Event Supervisor for PPP and we will be enforcing this strictly in Ohio as well.
I know that several Virginia teams have been DQed for using non-carbonated bottles (someone even tried bringing a normal deer park bottle). Don't risk getting DQed, even if your event supervisor at an invite said that the bottle is fine, as the next event supervisor might not.

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”