Rocket Spinning Please Help

Post Reply
sciolynoob
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: November 21st, 2019, 7:33 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rocket Spinning Please Help

Post by sciolynoob » February 17th, 2020, 8:12 pm

We have built our rocket with a one litter bottle, and we have a paper cylinder on top. We have a paper cone, and the parachute and ball are stuffed inside. However, when we launch, it spins. This appears to be caused by the top of the rocket tipping over, which is probably because it is top heavy. Can anyone confirm our suspicions, and help us out a little bit. Will changing our fins help? We currently have 4 triangular fins that are around 5 inches long and 8 inches tall.

Note, we are in NorCal, so it is an outside event.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION:

Our rocket is flipping over such that the top(cone) part is on the bottom and underneath the fin portion.
Last edited by sciolynoob on February 17th, 2020, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
builderguy135
Member
Member
Posts: 657
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Rocket Spinning Please Help

Post by builderguy135 » February 17th, 2020, 8:37 pm

sciolynoob wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:12 pm
We have built our rocket with a one litter bottle, and we have a paper cylinder on top. We have a paper cone, and the parachute and ball are stuffed inside. However, when we launch, it spins. This appears to be caused by the top of the rocket tipping over, which is probably because it is top heavy. Can anyone confirm our suspicions, and help us out a little bit. Will changing our fins help? We currently have 4 triangular fins that are around 5 inches long and 8 inches tall.

Note, we are in NorCal, so it is an outside event.
The reason it's spinning is likely because of your fins (are they angled, even a little bit?)
HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019
2020 Sounds MIT and Princeton Champion
2020 (and probably 2021 :( ) Events: PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/PaRaSiToLoGy

Hartman
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 7:07 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocket Spinning Please Help

Post by Hartman » February 17th, 2020, 8:57 pm

sciolynoob wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:12 pm
We have built our rocket with a one litter bottle, and we have a paper cylinder on top. We have a paper cone, and the parachute and ball are stuffed inside. However, when we launch, it spins. This appears to be caused by the top of the rocket tipping over, which is probably because it is top heavy. Can anyone confirm our suspicions, and help us out a little bit. Will changing our fins help? We currently have 4 triangular fins that are around 5 inches long and 8 inches tall.

Note, we are in NorCal, so it is an outside event.
Spinning or flipping? If the bottle is spinning, it shouldn’t be too big a problem, but if it’s flipping, the rocket is just off balance or something.
Carbon Fiber and glue are all you need for flying events


My friend says build events are easy. Trying to prove him wrong.

Fill out my form: https://forms.gle/vMUhZausSwEquw5o6

sciolynoob
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: November 21st, 2019, 7:33 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocket Spinning Please Help

Post by sciolynoob » February 17th, 2020, 8:59 pm

builderguy135 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:37 pm
sciolynoob wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:12 pm
We have built our rocket with a one litter bottle, and we have a paper cylinder on top. We have a paper cone, and the parachute and ball are stuffed inside. However, when we launch, it spins. This appears to be caused by the top of the rocket tipping over, which is probably because it is top heavy. Can anyone confirm our suspicions, and help us out a little bit. Will changing our fins help? We currently have 4 triangular fins that are around 5 inches long and 8 inches tall.

Note, we are in NorCal, so it is an outside event.
The reason it's spinning is likely because of your fins (are they angled, even a little bit?)
Our fins are definitely angled! We will try to fix that. However, our rocket is rotating, sorry for the bad phrasing. It rotates such that the top of the rocket is on the bottom.

sciolynoob
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: November 21st, 2019, 7:33 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocket Spinning Please Help

Post by sciolynoob » February 17th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Hartman wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:57 pm
sciolynoob wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:12 pm
We have built our rocket with a one litter bottle, and we have a paper cylinder on top. We have a paper cone, and the parachute and ball are stuffed inside. However, when we launch, it spins. This appears to be caused by the top of the rocket tipping over, which is probably because it is top heavy. Can anyone confirm our suspicions, and help us out a little bit. Will changing our fins help? We currently have 4 triangular fins that are around 5 inches long and 8 inches tall.

Note, we are in NorCal, so it is an outside event.
Spinning or flipping? If the bottle is spinning, it shouldn’t be too big a problem, but if it’s flipping, the rocket is just off balance or something.
It is flipping over so the top(cone) is on the bottom.

Airco2020
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: February 11th, 2019, 12:43 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocket Spinning Please Help

Post by Airco2020 » February 17th, 2020, 9:18 pm

sciolynoob wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 9:02 pm
Hartman wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:57 pm
sciolynoob wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:12 pm
We have built our rocket with a one litter bottle, and we have a paper cylinder on top. We have a paper cone, and the parachute and ball are stuffed inside. However, when we launch, it spins. This appears to be caused by the top of the rocket tipping over, which is probably because it is top heavy. Can anyone confirm our suspicions, and help us out a little bit. Will changing our fins help? We currently have 4 triangular fins that are around 5 inches long and 8 inches tall.

Note, we are in NorCal, so it is an outside event.
Spinning or flipping? If the bottle is spinning, it shouldn’t be too big a problem, but if it’s flipping, the rocket is just off balance or something.
It is flipping over so the top(cone) is on the bottom.
You need to add weight to the top of the rocket. Look up center of gravity versus center of pressure. It's been talked about this season. Basically you need to move the CG toward the nose cone by adding weight toward the nose or reducing weight by the fins. Think of your rocket like a dart, weight up front, fins (center of pressure) in the back.

Post Reply

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest