Nerd Inc. Launcher Problems

xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Nerd Inc. Launcher Problems

Post by xiangyu »

Hi everyone, I recent purchased the Nerd Inc Model Z Launcher and it seems that the green button switch leaks air? This means I have to pump really hard and then immediately press launch and activate the pneumatic cylinder in order to get the rocket into the air as otherwise, the air would leak out completely in under 5 seconds. Does anyone else have the problem when they first got it? Am I doing something wrong with setting it up?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Xiangyu
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Nerd Inc. Launcher Problems

Post by sciolyperson1 »

xiangyu wrote: February 19th, 2020, 3:18 pm Hi everyone, I recent purchased the Nerd Inc Model Z Launcher and it seems that the green button switch leaks air? This means I have to pump really hard and then immediately press launch and activate the pneumatic cylinder in order to get the rocket into the air as otherwise, the air would leak out completely in under 5 seconds. Does anyone else have the problem when they first got it? Am I doing something wrong with setting it up?

Xiangyu
LISO Launcher was leaking air during competition as well. Launchers at MIT, Conestoga, Princeton were fine.
Last edited by sciolyperson1 on February 19th, 2020, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

We don't have the nerds inc launcher but they used it at princeton. The ES was able to have a pretty lengthy delay between pressurizing and launching so maybe something is wrong with your launcher in particular.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

sciolyperson1 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 6:25 pm
xiangyu wrote: February 19th, 2020, 3:18 pm Hi everyone, I recent purchased the Nerd Inc Model Z Launcher and it seems that the green button switch leaks air? This means I have to pump really hard and then immediately press launch and activate the pneumatic cylinder in order to get the rocket into the air as otherwise, the air would leak out completely in under 5 seconds. Does anyone else have the problem when they first got it? Am I doing something wrong with setting it up?

Xiangyu
LISO Launcher was leaking air during competition as well. Launchers at MIT, Conestoga, Princeton were fine.
uhhhh one of the Princeton launchers was good,, the other not so much~~big leaky leaky
NewFlyer20002
Has thanked: 0

Post by NewFlyer20002 »

Xiangyu
Hi Xiangyu,

We don't have a problem with ours. We have noticed on ours that we need it to be pressurized at least 25 psi for the green button to work. Did you trouble shoot by checking:
1) that the pump is securely connected to the schrader valve.
2) whether there is a leak in the white tubing.
3) the connection of the white tubing to the Nerds launcher

If these look good then I am out of ideas and would contact Nerds directly.

Good luck,
NewFlyer20002
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

NewFlyer20002 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Xiangyu
Hi Xiangyu,

We don't have a problem with ours. We have noticed on ours that we need it to be pressurized at least 25 psi for the green button to work. Did you trouble shoot by checking:
1) that the pump is securely connected to the schrader valve.
2) whether there is a leak in the white tubing.
3) the connection of the white tubing to the Nerds launcher

If these look good then I am out of ideas and would contact Nerds directly.

Good luck,
NewFlyer20002

Agreed- ours is similar. That system needs to have a relatively high pressure in order for the green button to work. Try adding more pressure, try the button again. If nothing, then... make sure that the O-rings on the nozzle (where the bottle is) are lubricated. Often, after a good amount of launches, the bottle would just stick and not launch. Get some rubber lubrication from your Wright Stuff competitors, add it to the two O-rings and this might fix the problem if it is related to the bottle sticking (which makes it seem like the green button doesn't work).
donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

Is this the launcher which is going to be used at regionals?
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 20th, 2020, 12:20 pm Is this the launcher which is going to be used at regionals?
which regional? You might wanna try emailing your regional director and asking, as all regionals are different and SOINC doesn't regulate which launchers are required at the regional and state level.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
xiangyu
State: MI

Post by xiangyu »

Thank you everyone for your replies. I contacted Nerds Inc directly and it turned out to be a faulty valve. I will be replacing it soon.
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
TheChiScientist
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

Best launch PSI is 45-60 for the green button. Otherwise their may be inconsistencies. FYI for y'all that want some good insight.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”