Bottle Rocket Launcher

Locked
throwaway
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: February 22nd, 2020, 6:34 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bottle Rocket Launcher

Post by throwaway » February 22nd, 2020, 6:37 pm

Hi does anyone know what type of launcher Scioly uses to launch the rockets? I tried searching online, but all I could find was something similar called the aqua pod which uses water and is used for 2 liter bottles. Does anybody have a link or product name I could search to buy a launcher?

User avatar
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 406
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Bottle Rocket Launcher

Post by CookiePie1 » February 22nd, 2020, 7:49 pm

throwaway wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 6:37 pm
Hi does anyone know what type of launcher Scioly uses to launch the rockets? I tried searching online, but all I could find was something similar called the aqua pod which uses water and is used for 2 liter bottles. Does anybody have a link or product name I could search to buy a launcher?
well, NJ states actually uses the aquapod launcher. However I think the "standard" or most widely used one is the Nerds Inc Model Z launcher. https://www.nerdsinc.com/products/model-z
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

User avatar
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 723
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 136 times
Been thanked: 96 times
Contact:

Re: Bottle Rocket Launcher

Post by builderguy135 » February 22nd, 2020, 8:57 pm

CookiePie1 wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 7:49 pm
throwaway wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 6:37 pm
Hi does anyone know what type of launcher Scioly uses to launch the rockets? I tried searching online, but all I could find was something similar called the aqua pod which uses water and is used for 2 liter bottles. Does anybody have a link or product name I could search to buy a launcher?
well, NJ states actually uses the aquapod launcher. However I think the "standard" or most widely used one is the Nerds Inc Model Z launcher. https://www.nerdsinc.com/products/model-z
is it just me, or are the aquapod launchers "weaker" than the model zs?
West Windsor - Plainsboro High School North '22
PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/Cyber/DigiStruc
7x National Medalist, 2x MIT SoM Champion
Test Writer and Event Supervisor, BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage

User avatar
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 406
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Bottle Rocket Launcher

Post by CookiePie1 » February 23rd, 2020, 11:56 am

builderguy135 wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 8:57 pm
CookiePie1 wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 7:49 pm
throwaway wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 6:37 pm
Hi does anyone know what type of launcher Scioly uses to launch the rockets? I tried searching online, but all I could find was something similar called the aqua pod which uses water and is used for 2 liter bottles. Does anybody have a link or product name I could search to buy a launcher?
well, NJ states actually uses the aquapod launcher. However I think the "standard" or most widely used one is the Nerds Inc Model Z launcher. https://www.nerdsinc.com/products/model-z
is it just me, or are the aquapod launchers "weaker" than the model zs?
Yeah, correction, NJ uses the aquaPORT II, not the aquapod.

idk, they both seem to be pretty high quality. In terms of price, the Aquaport II (used in NJ) is ridiculous. $235? that's crazy. But to me, the nerds inc one is very nicely built and compact. That's the one i'd prefer, but our school is kinda broke so we just have some random leaky ziptie launcher. lmao it doesn't hold pressure above 40 or so psi. maybe next year or during the summer we can invest in a model z.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

User avatar
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 723
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 136 times
Been thanked: 96 times
Contact:

Re: Bottle Rocket Launcher

Post by builderguy135 » February 23rd, 2020, 11:58 am

CookiePie1 wrote:
February 23rd, 2020, 11:56 am
builderguy135 wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 8:57 pm
CookiePie1 wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 7:49 pm


well, NJ states actually uses the aquapod launcher. However I think the "standard" or most widely used one is the Nerds Inc Model Z launcher. https://www.nerdsinc.com/products/model-z
is it just me, or are the aquapod launchers "weaker" than the model zs?
Yeah, correction, NJ uses the aquaPORT II, not the aquapod.

idk, they both seem to be pretty high quality. In terms of price, the Aquaport II (used in NJ) is ridiculous. $235? that's crazy. But to me, the nerds inc one is very nicely built and compact. That's the one i'd prefer, but our school is kinda broke so we just have some random leaky ziptie launcher. lmao it doesn't hold pressure above 40 or so psi. maybe next year or during the summer we can invest in a model z.
Whoops, meant the aquaport ii lol.
West Windsor - Plainsboro High School North '22
PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/Cyber/DigiStruc
7x National Medalist, 2x MIT SoM Champion
Test Writer and Event Supervisor, BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage

User avatar
Wolf865
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: February 5th, 2020, 6:09 pm
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket Launcher

Post by Wolf865 » February 27th, 2020, 7:49 pm

The one I saw them using was the one with the short white dome with the metal stub w/ o-rings. Have a competition this Saturday, can let you know if they use something different.

User avatar
Wolf865
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: February 5th, 2020, 6:09 pm
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket Launcher

Post by Wolf865 » February 27th, 2020, 8:10 pm

As for a launcher I just built 3 of them from scratch for around $30 each and that included a built in pressure gauge. I’m sure there are better ones out there but these are working great for us. Plans are on YouTube now, you can search for it under "pingponglauncher" or Wolf865. You can take it apart for easy transport and storage. Has an adjustable slide in case you need to change tension on the bottle ring. Pressurizes only the launch tube, not the base. Easier way to create the bulge in the tube using your cooktop. There are some improvements to it that I haven’t posted yet. Changed over to using zip ties to spring load the cylinder that locks the rocket onto the tube and better way to attach the pressure gauge. Will try to get those edited in soon. Not that familiar with creating info videos so at mercy of my teenage sons availability.
Last edited by Wolf865 on March 2nd, 2020, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Wolf865
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: February 5th, 2020, 6:09 pm
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket Launcher

Post by Wolf865 » February 27th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Also going to check into using water hose quick connects to make it easier to break the tower into 2 pieces for breakdown/assembly. Right now it requires tools to take apart the upper/lower tower sections and want to get away from that.

User avatar
Wolf865
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: February 5th, 2020, 6:09 pm
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket Launcher

Post by Wolf865 » March 1st, 2020, 5:49 pm

Went to the regionals yesterday. The launcher they were using was fabricated out of aluminum, a little bigger than a big box of matches, open on both ends and it had a sliding lid with a U-shape cut out of one end to slide around the bottle ring. The pressure post was fabricated pretty much like one I saw at an invitation. It consisted of a short beveled metal post with 3 o-rings on the upper half. The sliding lid was what kept the rocket on the launcher while pressurizing. Interestingly enough, for whatever reason a lot of the rockets would not come off the post when they were released! They tried lubricating the rings and post but it was still hit/miss as to whether a rocket would launch. Same launcher they used last year without any problems? The refs finally resorted to borrowing mine in order to get the testing done.

User avatar
Wolf865
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: February 5th, 2020, 6:09 pm
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket Launcher

Post by Wolf865 » March 1st, 2020, 5:59 pm

Very similar to the Nerds $225 model but appeared to have been fabricated in house with extra o-rings.

Locked

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests