Scoring

donutsandcupcakes

Scoring

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

I'm kinda confused about this so someone pls help

Scenario:
Let's say our rocket touches the ceiling for the first launch so that launch is put in tier 3, and then for our second launch lets say we get a score of 13 seconds. So will our final score be tier 1 13 seconds or will our final score be tier 3?
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Scoring

Post by sciolyperson1 »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 29th, 2020, 4:00 am I'm kinda confused about this so someone pls help

Scenario:
Let's say our rocket touches the ceiling for the first launch so that launch is put in tier 3, and then for our second launch lets say we get a score of 13 seconds. So will our final score be tier 1 13 seconds or will our final score be tier 3?
tier 1, 13 sec
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

Thank u
SciDragon
Division: B
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SciDragon »

If you are tiered on one launch, it doesn't matter for the other launch. They pick whichever one is best.
Wolf865
State: TN

Post by Wolf865 »

Just to understand the Tier system. If you're kicked into Tier 2 or 3, all that does is reduce your actual time by 20% and 40% respectively? So a time of 10 seconds would become 8 or 6 seconds based on the Tier reduction? Or are the time reductions different?
jaggie34
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by jaggie34 »

No, everyone in tier 1 beats everyone in tier 2, and everyone in tier 2 beats everyone in tier 3
Boca Raton High School -> Georgia Tech
It's About Time writer/co-writer: Golden Gate, Georgia States
Ping Pong Parachute co-ES: MIT
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion!
and Circuit Lab too I guess
Wolf865

Post by Wolf865 »

So a 2 second flight in Tier 1 would still beat out a 10 second flight that was demoted to Tier 2 or 3? Can you point me to the rules on the Tiers that fully explains the scoring? I'm new to all this.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

Wolf865 wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 7:06 pm So a 2 second flight in Tier 1 would still beat out a 10 second flight that was demoted to Tier 2 or 3? Can you point me to the rules on the Tiers that fully explains the scoring? I'm new to all this.
Yes. Can't find the exact rules right now but here's how tiers work:

-Each tier is ranked separately within their tier. A score of 10 still beats a score of 1, as long as they are in the same tier.
-Merge the tiers starting from tier 1, 2, 3, etc.

A raw scoresheet might look like this:
1st: AHS (Tier 1, 100 points)
2nd: BHS (Tier 1, 50 points)
3rd: CHS (Tier 2, 1 point)
4th: DHS (Tier 3, 1000 points)
5th: EHS (Tier 4, 10000 points)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
Wolf865

Post by Wolf865 »

Still not wrapping my head around this scoring system. Can you give some examples? Say we get a 10 second Tier 1 flight time. Next person gets a longer time but they hit the rafters (Tier 3). Is there any way they could place higher than us? What about the person who’s parachute came back down with their rocket (Tier 2)? Would really like to see the scoring rules that the judges use but haven’t been able to locate them.
NewFlyer20002

Post by NewFlyer20002 »

Wolf865 wrote: March 9th, 2020, 7:11 am Still not wrapping my head around this scoring system. Can you give some examples? Say we get a 10 second Tier 1 flight time. Next person gets a longer time but they hit the rafters (Tier 3). Is there any way they could place higher than us? What about the person who’s parachute came back down with their rocket (Tier 2)? Would really like to see the scoring rules that the judges use but haven’t been able to locate them.
I belive the "Tiered" events all follow the same format. First, all Tier 1 scores are ranked. The next scoring are all the Tier 2 scores, followed by the Tier 3. Therefore, a Tier 3 ranked "build" will never place ahead of a Tier 1 or Tier 2 score, regardless if the time/points of Tier 3 is better than Tier 1 or Tier 2. In your example, First goes to Tier 1 (10 seconds), Second goes to Tier 2 (3 seconds), third goes to Tier 3 (65 seconds).

Cheers,
NeewFlyer20002

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”