Rule 5.g: Hitting the ceiling

GodOfCars
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Rule 5.g: Hitting the ceiling

Post by GodOfCars »

I had a doubt about the rule about the rocket hitting the ceiling. Say the Event Supervisor defines the ceiling as the lowest hanging object from the ceiling (ex: nets or something like that) and a team goes up, launches their rocket, but the rocket exceeds the height of the "ceiling" (defined as the height of the lowest hanging object), but the rocket does not hit the ceiling or any part of the ceiling, would this launch still be categorized under tier 3?
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Rule 5.g: Hitting the ceiling

Post by lumosityfan »

I think that the reason the Event Supervisor would define that as such is because some people without it might argue that because the ceiling is just the flat part of the roof that if it hits that extension that it would still count; that way, it can be further clarified. Thus, if the rocket goes above that heigth but doesn't touch the ceiling itself, it would not be tier 3 but rather tier 1; it would not have any performance violations.
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
Airco2020

Post by Airco2020 »

GodOfCars wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 1:35 pm I had a doubt about the rule about the rocket hitting the ceiling. Say the Event Supervisor defines the ceiling as the lowest hanging object from the ceiling (ex: nets or something like that) and a team goes up, launches their rocket, but the rocket exceeds the height of the "ceiling" (defined as the height of the lowest hanging object), but the rocket does not hit the ceiling or any part of the ceiling, would this launch still be categorized under tier 3?
This will depend on the ES. Ask them for clarification before you launch. I had one venue where they created an "artificial" ceiling that was not the real ceiling. But they told us before. There was a net at about 20' and they defined that as the ceiling. All other events I've been at have used actual physical "ceiling" as the ceiling.
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

at Penn, there were crazy low rafters and stuff so you were allowed to go above. I think the point of the rule was to try and prevent teams from damaging the ceiling by launching too hard, but yes clarify with the ES.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
GodOfCars

Post by GodOfCars »

Airco2020 wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 2:06 pm
GodOfCars wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 1:35 pm I had a doubt about the rule about the rocket hitting the ceiling. Say the Event Supervisor defines the ceiling as the lowest hanging object from the ceiling (ex: nets or something like that) and a team goes up, launches their rocket, but the rocket exceeds the height of the "ceiling" (defined as the height of the lowest hanging object), but the rocket does not hit the ceiling or any part of the ceiling, would this launch still be categorized under tier 3?
This will depend on the ES. Ask them for clarification before you launch. I had one venue where they created an "artificial" ceiling that was not the real ceiling. But they told us before. There was a net at about 20' and they defined that as the ceiling. All other events I've been at have used actual physical "ceiling" as the ceiling.
Was this at UChicago Invitational?
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State
Airco2020

Post by Airco2020 »

GodOfCars wrote: March 4th, 2020, 9:08 am
Yup : :x
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad

Post by TheChiScientist »

Airco2020 wrote: March 4th, 2020, 9:41 am
GodOfCars wrote: March 4th, 2020, 9:08 am

Yup : :x
Lol. You guys have nothing to worry about concerning the IL state tournament.The Armory's Ceiling will be near impossible to hit... (I swear if someone manages that I'll be shocked...)
Concerning DuPage's regional these ES's there will be 100% using the defeniton of actual ceiling. Also anything in contact with the ceiling (Ex: Hoops, Beams, etc) will count as ceiling so keep that in mind.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”