Adding Weight to the Ping Pong Ball

GodOfCars
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Adding Weight to the Ping Pong Ball

Post by GodOfCars »

So on the FAQ section on soinc.org, they said that no weight of any kind may be added to the ping pong ball. To get around this, could we add weight to the bottom of the shroud lines of the parachute, but not directly on the ball and explain to the ES that we added weight to the parachute instead of the ball?
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Adding Weight to the Ping Pong Ball

Post by CookiePie1 »

yeah, i guess as long as it doesn't touch the ping pong ball and fits within all other parameters. Anything that's not explicitly prohibited is allowed as long as it doesn't violate the spirit of the competition and is not dangerous.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by xiangyu »

GodOfCars wrote: March 7th, 2020, 7:25 pm So on the FAQ section on soinc.org, they said that no weight of any kind may be added to the ping pong ball. To get around this, could we add weight to the bottom of the shroud lines of the parachute, but not directly on the ball and explain to the ES that we added weight to the parachute instead of the ball?
Here's another idea - use heavier/more tape to attach the strings to the ball...
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Post by megrimlockawesom »

Yeah normally i would advise against adding weight, but if you really need it then use lots of electrical tape
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute
GodOfCars

Post by GodOfCars »

Would it still be legal to add really heavy tape to the pp ball? I would imagine so, because it is tape after all, but could the ES argue that it is a kind of weight?
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

GodOfCars wrote: March 10th, 2020, 3:47 pm Would it still be legal to add really heavy tape to the pp ball? I would imagine so, because it is tape after all, but could the ES argue that it is a kind of weight?
As you said, tape is, well, tape. There's no way that an ES can tell you that you can use one type of tape but not another
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad

Post by TheChiScientist »

CookiePie1 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 3:55 pm
GodOfCars wrote: March 10th, 2020, 3:47 pm Would it still be legal to add really heavy tape to the pp ball? I would imagine so, because it is tape after all, but could the ES argue that it is a kind of weight?
As you said, tape is, well, tape. There's no way that an ES can tell you that you can use one type of tape but not another
It's a loophole but I can't stop you from doing it cuz the rules don't prohibit it.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”