Changes for next year

GodOfCars
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: January 12th, 2020, 2:35 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Location: In a galaxy far, far away...
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Changes for next year

Post by GodOfCars » March 16th, 2020, 9:49 am

Forums for some other builds have been discussing possible rule changes for next year. IDK if this is gonna happen, but does anyone have any ideas?
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State

User avatar
xiangyu
Member
Member
Posts: 254
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 8:32 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Location: Hiding from Corona
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Changes for next year

Post by xiangyu » March 16th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Add a bonus for getting the parachute to land outside the launch area (rule would determine what it is - such as a 5 m diameter circle around the launcher)
2020 Events: Wright Stuff, Gravity Vehicle. Circuit Lab, Boomilever, Ping-Pong Parachute, WIDI

RIP SO 2020

Medal & Ribbon Count: 8
East Grand Rapids High School Team Captain

sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 685
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: WW-P HSN
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: Changes for next year

Post by sciolyperson1 » March 16th, 2020, 3:20 pm

xiangyu wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 2:30 pm
Add a bonus for getting the parachute to land outside the launch area (rule would determine what it is - such as a 5 m diameter circle around the launcher)
That's just luck
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP

Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17


MIT: Gravity - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, WIDI -1st '20

Rate my tests!

User avatar
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 375
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: South Brunswick
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Changes for next year

Post by CookiePie1 » March 16th, 2020, 3:37 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 3:20 pm
xiangyu wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 2:30 pm
Add a bonus for getting the parachute to land outside the launch area (rule would determine what it is - such as a 5 m diameter circle around the launcher)
That's just luck
that could be very subjective in drafty rooms. Additionally, that favors faster falling parachutes.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

User avatar
xiangyu
Member
Member
Posts: 254
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 8:32 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Location: Hiding from Corona
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Changes for next year

Post by xiangyu » March 16th, 2020, 5:04 pm

The draft across the room is certainly hard to eliminate. But I was trying to think of something that makes teams add features to a parachute that allows it to move horizontally as it falls.
2020 Events: Wright Stuff, Gravity Vehicle. Circuit Lab, Boomilever, Ping-Pong Parachute, WIDI

RIP SO 2020

Medal & Ribbon Count: 8
East Grand Rapids High School Team Captain

User avatar
builderguy135
Member
Member
Posts: 663
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Changes for next year

Post by builderguy135 » March 17th, 2020, 5:45 am

xiangyu wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 5:04 pm
The draft across the room is certainly hard to eliminate. But I was trying to think of something that makes teams add features to a parachute that allows it to move horizontally as it falls.
That's also just rng. An initial push of the parachute by the rocket is impossible to eliminate.
Community '18, HSN '22
7-time Nats medalist
2020 Sounds MIT, Princeton, States Champion
2020 (and probably 2021 :( ) Events: PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code
My Userpage

User avatar
xiangyu
Member
Member
Posts: 254
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 8:32 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Location: Hiding from Corona
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Changes for next year

Post by xiangyu » March 17th, 2020, 7:04 am

builderguy135 wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 5:45 am
xiangyu wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 5:04 pm
The draft across the room is certainly hard to eliminate. But I was trying to think of something that makes teams add features to a parachute that allows it to move horizontally as it falls.
That's also just rng. An initial push of the parachute by the rocket is impossible to eliminate.
Well... you could design one of those gliding parachutes that will fall towards a certain side...
2020 Events: Wright Stuff, Gravity Vehicle. Circuit Lab, Boomilever, Ping-Pong Parachute, WIDI

RIP SO 2020

Medal & Ribbon Count: 8
East Grand Rapids High School Team Captain

User avatar
builderguy135
Member
Member
Posts: 663
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Changes for next year

Post by builderguy135 » March 17th, 2020, 9:06 am

xiangyu wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 7:04 am
builderguy135 wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 5:45 am
xiangyu wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 5:04 pm
The draft across the room is certainly hard to eliminate. But I was trying to think of something that makes teams add features to a parachute that allows it to move horizontally as it falls.
That's also just rng. An initial push of the parachute by the rocket is impossible to eliminate.
Well... you could design one of those gliding parachutes that will fall towards a certain side...
That initial push would likely be more than enough to influence the direction in which the parachute glides. Plus, it would be hard to have a space large enough to not only shoot upwards, but also glide horizontally without hitting a wall.
Community '18, HSN '22
7-time Nats medalist
2020 Sounds MIT, Princeton, States Champion
2020 (and probably 2021 :( ) Events: PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code
My Userpage

User avatar
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 375
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: South Brunswick
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Changes for next year

Post by CookiePie1 » March 17th, 2020, 1:13 pm

builderguy135 wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 9:06 am

That initial push would likely be more than enough to influence the direction in which the parachute glides. Plus, it would be hard to have a space large enough to not only shoot upwards, but also glide horizontally without hitting a wall.
Yes, many of the lecture halls and rooms that were used for ppp this year would not be suitable as the only level part of the room was too close to the wall. It would basically mandate the use of a gym which not all tournament locations have.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

NewFlyer20002
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: October 24th, 2018, 8:54 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Changes for next year

Post by NewFlyer20002 » March 18th, 2020, 8:16 am

Getting the parachute to land outside a specific area would be a matter of luck. My guess is that the second year would be to limit the PSI used to launch, maximium diameter of parachute, minimum weight of ping pong ball. There may be a bonus for a minimum sized apex hole. These would be more relevant to testing and experimentation.

Newflyer20002

Post Reply

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest