Changes for next year

Godspeed
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Changes for next year

Post by Godspeed »

NewFlyer20002 wrote: March 18th, 2020, 8:16 am Getting the parachute to land outside a specific area would be a matter of luck. My guess is that the second year would be to limit the PSI used to launch, maximium diameter of parachute, minimum weight of ping pong ball. There may be a bonus for a minimum sized apex hole. These would be more relevant to testing and experimentation.

Newflyer20002
Yeah, I would also add that maybe weight could be a bonus. By that I mean that if you have a rocket that weighs under 100 grams, you get a bonus.

Also maybe length, because the tube design is very good, and if you were to limit the length, you wouldn't be able to use the tube design.
vehicleguy

Post by vehicleguy »

I think a good rule change would be banning resting the ping pong ball and parachute on top of the rocket. Teams would have to get more creative with deployment options.
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
2022 Events: Chem Lab, Envi Chem, It's About Time, Orni, PPP, Wright Stuff
2022 States: 3rd Envi Chem, 3rd Orni, 4th Wright Stuff
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy
GodOfCars
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Post by GodOfCars »

I actually believe that getting the parachute to land outside a certain diameter is relatively easy. I have noticed with every single parachute that I have made is that it drifts consistently. When dropping from 15 feet, I could get the parachute to drift nearly at a 45 degree angle. I think this bonus would not be a challenge.
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

GodOfCars wrote: March 18th, 2020, 1:15 pm I actually believe that getting the parachute to land outside a certain diameter is relatively easy. I have noticed with every single parachute that I have made is that it drifts consistently. When dropping from 15 feet, I could get the parachute to drift nearly at a 45 degree angle. I think this bonus would not be a challenge.
I think it would be easy to achieve this (which is why I don't support this bonus.)

Especially for people in NorCal, because they're parachutes could land 50 feet or so away from the launcher.

I think the best challenge would be if you cross a certain pressure, you will not receive bonus point.
GodOfCars
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Post by GodOfCars »

Godspeed wrote: March 18th, 2020, 1:35 pm
GodOfCars wrote: March 18th, 2020, 1:15 pm I actually believe that getting the parachute to land outside a certain diameter is relatively easy. I have noticed with every single parachute that I have made is that it drifts consistently. When dropping from 15 feet, I could get the parachute to drift nearly at a 45 degree angle. I think this bonus would not be a challenge.
I think it would be easy to achieve this (which is why I don't support this bonus.)

Especially for people in NorCal, because they're parachutes could land 50 feet or so away from the launcher.

I think the best challenge would be if you cross a certain pressure, you will not receive bonus point.
But this could be a little sketchy because the rules allow competitors to bring their own bike pump, and each bike pump is calibrated a little differently (I have experienced this first hand). So the idea would just be to get the bike pump that pumps very high PSI, but only read very low PSI.
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

GodOfCars wrote: March 18th, 2020, 1:44 pm

But this could be a little sketchy because the rules allow competitors to bring their own bike pump, and each bike pump is calibrated a little differently (I have experienced this first hand). So the idea would just be to get the bike pump that pumps very high PSI, but only read very low PSI.
This one time, we accidentally set our pump to read pressure in bars, and we didn't realize it. We put in 30 bars, thinking it was psi. The rocket survived, but it smashed into a light in the gym... thanfully nothing happened to the light (somehow.)
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

Godspeed wrote: March 18th, 2020, 5:41 pm

This one time, we accidentally set our pump to read pressure in bars, and we didn't realize it. We put in 30 bars, thinking it was psi. The rocket survived, but it smashed into a light in the gym... thanfully nothing happened to the light (somehow.)
Isn't 30 bar a few hundred psi?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

builderguy135 wrote: March 19th, 2020, 5:39 am
Godspeed wrote: March 18th, 2020, 5:41 pm

Yeah... I'm quite surprised that the rocket survived. 30 bar is 435 psi
kman1234t
Division: Grad

Post by kman1234t »

Godspeed wrote: March 19th, 2020, 3:03 pm
Godspeed wrote: March 18th, 2020, 5:41 pm This one time, we accidentally set our pump to read pressure in bars, and we didn't realize it. We put in 30 bars, thinking it was psi. The rocket survived, but it smashed into a light in the gym... thanfully nothing happened to the light (somehow.)
I am pretty sure most bike pumps don't go past 12 bar.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

kman1234t wrote: March 19th, 2020, 5:28 pm
Godspeed wrote: March 19th, 2020, 3:03 pm

I am pretty sure most bike pumps don't go past 12 bar.
I don't think they do... we may have broken the pump lol.

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”