Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by OHIOscioly »

kjlokesh wrote: February 25th, 2020, 10:27 am
knightmoves wrote: January 29th, 2020, 12:48 pm
Ltrikie415 wrote: January 29th, 2020, 11:44 am In section 5.h page 3 of Scoring, can someone give an example of what they mean by this section. I don’t know what a non spring timer is. Is this a separate non-scorable action so device run longer to reach the target time?
A non-spring timer is the action from rule 4c. It may be one of your scoreable actions, but doesn't have to be. It's a thing that uses up time so that the run time of your device gets close to the target time. You can't use springs.

One example that has been used in the past is a hopper of sand, water, ball bearings, or something. The previous action opens a gate / valve, and the sand / water / ball bearings slowly run out of the hopper and fill some kind of scale pan, which operates a lever when it gets heavy enough.

In this year's rules, the pendulum clock looks like an obvious candidate to be the non-spring timer.
if you are using pendulum clock , make sure it runs consistently and without a touch. I believe if you touch then you will lose the timer bonus and action point. We use water raising the golf ball as timer.
I don’t believe that to be true.

“If a participant completes a scorable action or makes an adjustment that leads directly to the completion of that action, then that action will not count for points, even if it is part of the Final Action”

The specific wording makes me think a touch half way through would be a touch for like “jamming” and be a touch penalty but not be an adjustment that leads “directly to the completion”. Obviously this can only be answered by submitting it to sonic.org but we had to touch our pendulum half way through at U of M and got the points for it. Completion of an action is the triggering of the next action so as long as it isn’t like a touch that directly leads to the next action, it is just a touch.

Obviously it’s canon to avoid making the event supervisor have to think, but I’d argue it.
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

waterboy wrote: February 26th, 2020, 7:31 pm
mynameisbob wrote: February 26th, 2020, 7:17 pm Do you get disqualified if your build is past 60 cm or just get points taken off?
Rule 6.b.i states, "Deduct 25 points: For each dimension of the Device that exceeds 60 cm"
You only get a deduction. In the rules, it never even says anything about getting tiered for any of the mission possible event parameters or construction parameters.
However, 3.a.i does say that devices with a dimension over 1 meter will not be allowed to run. You raise an important point, though - in previous years, construction violations were dealt with by tiering. What is the appropriate penalty for a device which violates construction parameters in a way that is not elaborated in the rules, such as modifying a golf ball? Simply not counting the task would seem appropriate.
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Come on people we need to add to the best of 2020

Best of 2020

If you guys don't know how to add to the WIki, share me the photo privately, and I can add it on. :D
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
AwesomeSauceis1
Division: C
State: CA

Post by AwesomeSauceis1 »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 10:44 am Come on people we need to add to the best of 2020

Best of 2020

If you guys don't know how to add to the WIki, share me the photo privately, and I can add it on. :D
Ok if I have time I'll do my Machine, but my Mission is still viable in competition next year so no thanks.
These users thanked the author AwesomeSauceis1 for the post:
MoMoney$$$;)0) (March 23rd, 2020, 10:53 am)
kjlokesh

Post by kjlokesh »

OHIOscioly wrote: February 26th, 2020, 9:34 pm
kjlokesh wrote: February 25th, 2020, 10:27 am
knightmoves wrote: January 29th, 2020, 12:48 pm

A non-spring timer is the action from rule 4c. It may be one of your scoreable actions, but doesn't have to be. It's a thing that uses up time so that the run time of your device gets close to the target time. You can't use springs.

One example that has been used in the past is a hopper of sand, water, ball bearings, or something. The previous action opens a gate / valve, and the sand / water / ball bearings slowly run out of the hopper and fill some kind of scale pan, which operates a lever when it gets heavy enough.

In this year's rules, the pendulum clock looks like an obvious candidate to be the non-spring timer.
if you are using pendulum clock , make sure it runs consistently and without a touch. I believe if you touch then you will lose the timer bonus and action point. We use water raising the golf ball as timer.
I don’t believe that to be true.

“If a participant completes a scorable action or makes an adjustment that leads directly to the completion of that action, then that action will not count for points, even if it is part of the Final Action”

The specific wording makes me think a touch half way through would be a touch for like “jamming” and be a touch penalty but not be an adjustment that leads “directly to the completion”. Obviously this can only be answered by submitting it to sonic.org but we had to touch our pendulum half way through at U of M and got the points for it. Completion of an action is the triggering of the next action so as long as it isn’t like a touch that directly leads to the next action, it is just a touch.

Obviously it’s canon to avoid making the event supervisor have to think, but I’d argue it.
I reviewed this with the person who authored the rules at Centerville. He confirmed that you may multiple times ( upto 3) to complete an action. but when you touch to complete an action you will lose points for that action.

Return to “Mission Possible B”