Mission Possible B

User avatar
nateDC
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: November 30th, 2018, 4:13 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Right where I am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by nateDC » December 10th, 2019, 10:10 am

Havocgamer49 wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 1:48 pm
builder83 wrote:
LittleMissNyan wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 9:05 am
Are you allowed to have the golf ball from the Starting action go through a scorable action and then the Final Action, or would that not be allowed?
I don't think you can.

3.a.iv. Talks about each moveable object only being used once. I had a similar question. The only object allowed to be used twice is that initial/final golf ball, so using it 3 times probably does not work.
Actually, at Chattahoochee Invitational, our school's C team had a start action which triggered the water action, the water action raised the start ball 5cm and then the start ball went and completed the final action.

The judges allowed this, and they placed 14th, so I think it is allowed, but maybe those judges did not know the rules clearly?

Just putting those facts out there.
I’m reasonably confident that that should not have been allowed. The start action golf ball cannot be used in a scorable action.
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...

Ltrikie415
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: January 8th, 2020, 10:54 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by Ltrikie415 » January 29th, 2020, 11:44 am

In section 5.h page 3 of Scoring, can someone give an example of what they mean by this section. I don’t know what a non spring timer is. Is this a separate non-scorable action so device run longer to reach the target time?

knightmoves
Member
Member
Posts: 280
Joined: April 26th, 2018, 6:40 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by knightmoves » January 29th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Ltrikie415 wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 11:44 am
In section 5.h page 3 of Scoring, can someone give an example of what they mean by this section. I don’t know what a non spring timer is. Is this a separate non-scorable action so device run longer to reach the target time?
A non-spring timer is the action from rule 4c. It may be one of your scoreable actions, but doesn't have to be. It's a thing that uses up time so that the run time of your device gets close to the target time. You can't use springs.

One example that has been used in the past is a hopper of sand, water, ball bearings, or something. The previous action opens a gate / valve, and the sand / water / ball bearings slowly run out of the hopper and fill some kind of scale pan, which operates a lever when it gets heavy enough.

In this year's rules, the pendulum clock looks like an obvious candidate to be the non-spring timer.

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by builder83 » February 14th, 2020, 10:22 am

I only use 2 walls. 1 end cap, and 1 wall down the middle of the devise. It is not transparent. I don't have any walls on the 3 remaining sides or top. I assume this is fine but just checking. Rules don't really state much for a center barrier/wall.

Flavorflav
Member
Member
Posts: 1376
Joined: February 5th, 2006, 7:06 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by Flavorflav » February 24th, 2020, 5:41 am

I can't imagine anyone having a problem with that.

knightmoves
Member
Member
Posts: 280
Joined: April 26th, 2018, 6:40 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by knightmoves » February 25th, 2020, 8:47 am

Flavorflav wrote:
February 24th, 2020, 5:41 am
I can't imagine anyone having a problem with that.
Agreed. The rules say:
"All actions used for scoring must be visible and/or verifiable. The top and at least two vertical walls
must be open or transparent for viewing all actions."

builder83's device has the top and two sides open on each half of his device. One could argue that he actually had three vertical walls open, as the rules seem to use the word "wall" as a synonym for side.

Vive
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: July 27th, 2018, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by Vive » February 25th, 2020, 10:16 am

One can call 'that wall' as a partition .

kjlokesh
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: September 11th, 2019, 6:22 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by kjlokesh » February 25th, 2020, 10:27 am

knightmoves wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 12:48 pm
Ltrikie415 wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 11:44 am
In section 5.h page 3 of Scoring, can someone give an example of what they mean by this section. I don’t know what a non spring timer is. Is this a separate non-scorable action so device run longer to reach the target time?
A non-spring timer is the action from rule 4c. It may be one of your scoreable actions, but doesn't have to be. It's a thing that uses up time so that the run time of your device gets close to the target time. You can't use springs.

One example that has been used in the past is a hopper of sand, water, ball bearings, or something. The previous action opens a gate / valve, and the sand / water / ball bearings slowly run out of the hopper and fill some kind of scale pan, which operates a lever when it gets heavy enough.

In this year's rules, the pendulum clock looks like an obvious candidate to be the non-spring timer.
if you are using pendulum clock , make sure it runs consistently and without a touch. I believe if you touch then you will lose the timer bonus and action point. We use water raising the golf ball as timer.

mynameisbob
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: January 17th, 2018, 9:58 am
Division: B
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by mynameisbob » February 26th, 2020, 7:17 pm

Do you get disqualified if your build is past 60 cm or just get points taken off?

User avatar
waterboy
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: March 8th, 2019, 12:47 pm
Division: B
State: IN
Location: TJMS
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by waterboy » February 26th, 2020, 7:31 pm

mynameisbob wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 7:17 pm
Do you get disqualified if your build is past 60 cm or just get points taken off?
Rule 6.b.i states, "Deduct 25 points: For each dimension of the Device that exceeds 60 cm"
You only get a deduction. In the rules, it never even says anything about getting tiered for any of the mission possible event parameters or construction parameters.
Circuit Lab, Density Lab, Machines, Mission Possible :geek: :geek:

Remembering Gerard Putz

Post Reply

Return to “Mission Possible B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest