Mission Possible B

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Mission Possible B

Post by windu34 »

Mission Possible B: Prior to the competition, participants design, build, test and document a Rube Goldberg-like device that completes required Start and Final Actions through a series of specific actions.

Mission Possible Wiki Wiki

Mission Possible Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by Umaroth »

I don't know about everyone else, but I really like this year's rules compared to the old div b ones, this year is much closer to the div c mission. I wish I were still in div b to do this.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Umaroth wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 10:49 pm I don't know about everyone else, but I really like this year's rules compared to the old div b ones, this year is much closer to the div c mission. I wish I were still in div b to do this.
That's probably because you didn't see the 2014-2015 iteration of the Mission C rules, which were transfer-based like the 2016-2017 B rules.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Manas101
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Manas101 »

I don't get some parts of the rules.
1. Are the scorable actions the only actions that counts?
2. What exactly are non-scorable actions?
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Umaroth »

Manas101 wrote: September 29th, 2019, 11:05 am I don't get some parts of the rules.
1. Are the scorable actions the only actions that counts?
2. What exactly are non-scorable actions?
1. Yes, scorable actions, plus the timing action, start action, and end action are the only ones that can count for points.
2. Non-scorable actions are those that are not listed under scorable actions but are used to bridge scorables actions. For example, if you use the sailboat task to push a golf ball, which then hits the dominoes for the domino task, the rolling golf ball would be a non-scorable action because it led up to the next action, but it is not listed as an action that can get you points.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

Are you allowed to have the golf ball from the Starting action go through a scorable action and then the Final Action, or would that not be allowed?
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
builder83
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by builder83 »

LittleMissNyan wrote: October 24th, 2019, 9:05 am Are you allowed to have the golf ball from the Starting action go through a scorable action and then the Final Action, or would that not be allowed?
I don't think you can.

3.a.iv. Talks about each moveable object only being used once. I had a similar question. The only object allowed to be used twice is that initial/final golf ball, so using it 3 times probably does not work.
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

Ok now that I actually know what I'm doing
Let's say there is a block of wood with a hole drilled in it for the tee, and then I hot glue a cardboard tube onto. Would the tube and the wood block be considered the tee holder or just the wood block? Do they have to be made of the same material?
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
nateDC
State: MD

Post by nateDC »

LittleMissNyan wrote: December 8th, 2019, 2:31 pm Ok now that I actually know what I'm doing
Let's say there is a block of wood with a hole drilled in it for the tee, and then I hot glue a cardboard tube onto. Would the tube and the wood block be considered the tee holder or just the wood block? Do they have to be made of the same material?
The tube wouldn't be able to be higher than a certain amount on the tee, but if it's attached to the tee holder, then it's part of the tee holder. Unsure was the tube would do for you, but here you go.
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...
Havocgamer49
State: NC

Post by Havocgamer49 »

builder83 wrote:
LittleMissNyan wrote: October 24th, 2019, 9:05 am Are you allowed to have the golf ball from the Starting action go through a scorable action and then the Final Action, or would that not be allowed?
I don't think you can.

3.a.iv. Talks about each moveable object only being used once. I had a similar question. The only object allowed to be used twice is that initial/final golf ball, so using it 3 times probably does not work.
Actually, at Chattahoochee Invitational, our school's C team had a start action which triggered the water action, the water action raised the start ball 5cm and then the start ball went and completed the final action.

The judges allowed this, and they placed 14th, so I think it is allowed, but maybe those judges did not know the rules clearly?

Just putting those facts out there.
Havocgamer49's Userpage
Jay M Robinson Varsity Team 2017-2020
2017-2018 Events: Disease Detectives, Rocks and Minerals
2018-2019 Events: Disease Detectives, Duct Tape Challenge, Fossils
2019-2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Fossils, Mission Possible, Reach for the Stars

Return to “Mission Possible B”