Start Action

trdd
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Start Action

Post by trdd »

Start Action:
Participants must drop a golf ball into the Device from a point completely above the Device. The golf ball must fall into the Device and initiate the next action.

Post here any comments associated with the Start Action
Phenakism
Division: B
State: CA

Re: Start Action

Post by Phenakism »

Since you cannot use any part more than once, does that mean that the golf ball cannot do anything other then be dropped? For example, say you wanted the golf ball from the start action to fall down a funnel and roll down a slide to activate a lever. Would that be legal?
COMPS (Mira Loma, Christensen, Regs, States [nvm]):
Mission Possible 4-8-1 (send golf balls pls)
Game On 8-1-1
Heredity 4-2-2

Current ~ Mission Possible, Heredity, Game On
Send golf balls
xma1995so

Post by xma1995so »

Phenakism wrote: November 15th, 2019, 5:33 pm Since you cannot use any part more than once, does that mean that the golf ball cannot do anything other then be dropped? For example, say you wanted the golf ball from the start action to fall down a funnel and roll down a slide to activate a lever. Would that be legal?
I think as long as you didn't utilize the weight of start action golf ball in your lever action, just activation is legal. The same should be applicable to all other actions that have golf ball included. It is clearly defined that the golf ball of current action needs to trigger next action. But the ball in current action can't be part of next action.
Phenakism

Post by Phenakism »

xma1995so wrote: November 16th, 2019, 11:29 am
Phenakism wrote: November 15th, 2019, 5:33 pm Since you cannot use any part more than once, does that mean that the golf ball cannot do anything other then be dropped? For example, say you wanted the golf ball from the start action to fall down a funnel and roll down a slide to activate a lever. Would that be legal?
I think as long as you didn't utilize the weight of start action golf ball in your lever action, just activation is legal. The same should be applicable to all other actions that have golf ball included. It is clearly defined that the golf ball of current action needs to trigger next action. But the ball in current action can't be part of next action.
That makes a lot more sense, thank you!
COMPS (Mira Loma, Christensen, Regs, States [nvm]):
Mission Possible 4-8-1 (send golf balls pls)
Game On 8-1-1
Heredity 4-2-2

Current ~ Mission Possible, Heredity, Game On
Send golf balls
nateDC
Division: C
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by nateDC »

Keep in mind though that you have to be able to retrieve that golf ball to use it for the Final Action.... ;)
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...
scioly1
State: CO

Post by scioly1 »

One question, is there any restrictions on how far above the device the golf ball has to be?
nateDC
Division: C
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by nateDC »

scioly1 wrote: December 4th, 2019, 8:05 am One question, is there any restrictions on how far above the device the golf ball has to be?
No, but the ball must start completely outside the device. I would advise trying to drop your golf ball as close to the device as possible to maximize accuracy.
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...
kiwibird
State: NC

Post by kiwibird »

Can the golf ball in the start and final action be tied to a string when you drop it?
stringman

Post by stringman »

kiwibird wrote: January 26th, 2020, 12:52 pm Can the golf ball in the start and final action be tied to a string when you drop it?
I don't think so, because if the start golf ball had a string tied around that was attached to the device, then technically the golf ball is not above the device because the string is part of the device (and thereby subject to the 60 cm requirement as well). As for the final action, I would say definitely not because the rules clearly state that the golf ball must only be touching the tee to get the points.

Return to “Mission Possible B”