Action ii: Wheel and axle

trdd
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Action ii: Wheel and axle

Post by trdd »

Action ii:
Rotate a wheel and axle to raise a golf ball at least 10 vertical cm, so that the golf ball at the end of the lift initiates the next action.

Use this post to comment on this task.
AwersomeUser
Division: B
Been thanked: 0

Re: Action ii: Wheel and axle

Post by AwersomeUser »

Can I use two wheels and an axle? What if the ball goes up by 10 cm, and then also move horizontally?
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

AwersomeUser wrote: September 27th, 2019, 5:48 pm Can I use two wheels and an axle? What if the ball goes up by 10 cm, and then also move horizontally?
The ball can do whatever you like horizontally, but it has to be raised in height by 10cm by a wheel and axle. If you're actually moving it at an angle up a guide, that's OK, but you can't count the same task as the inclined plane in task vi.
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

AwersomeUser wrote: September 27th, 2019, 5:48 pm Can I use two wheels and an axle? What if the ball goes up by 10 cm, and then also move horizontally?
I don't know why you would need two wheels and an axle unless you are thinking of rolling a set of wheels which might not satisfy the wheel and axle usage as a simple machine. Usually wheel and axle means you turn a wheel and the axle moves or vice versa. For example, you could wrap a string around an axle and when the string is pulled, the wheel turns and pulls another string. Mechanical advantage can be gained depending on how it is used.

Return to “Mission Possible B”