Action v: Screw and wingnut

trdd
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Action v: Screw and wingnut

Post by trdd »

Action v:
Rotate a screw to move a wingnut threaded on the screw at least 2 horizontal cm. After moving at least 2 horizontal cm the wingnut must contact and object which initiates the next action.

Use this post to comment on this task.
trdd

Re: Action v: Screw and wingnut

Post by trdd »

Similar to last year's Division C but with more specific definition on the screw and the nut.
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

Would this task be applicable for a timer, or does it have to be something else?
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
AwesomeSauceis1
Division: C
State: CA

Post by AwesomeSauceis1 »

LittleMissNyan wrote: September 13th, 2019, 1:52 pm Would this task be applicable for a timer, or does it have to be something else?

Based on last year's Div. C rules, a timer can be a scorable or non-scorable action, so yes.
builder83

Post by builder83 »

LittleMissNyan wrote: September 13th, 2019, 1:52 pm Would this task be applicable for a timer, or does it have to be something else?
With no motor, how much time do you think you can get out of this? I cannot imagine more than 10 seconds.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

builder83 wrote: September 15th, 2019, 1:17 pm
With no motor, how much time do you think you can get out of this? I cannot imagine more than 10 seconds.

Is there a rule stopping people from using a normal sand timer of some sort?
When buying screws, buy one with a small number of threads per inch, and as large of a diameter as you can, to minimize the amount of energy needed to rotate the screw.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
GPRSTEM

Post by GPRSTEM »

I don't understand this rule clarification --> https://www.soinc.org/mission-possible

(Section: 3 / Paragraph: c / Sub-Paragraph: v / Line: 1)
10/29/2019
CAN THE WINGNUT HAVE ROTATIONAL MOTION (I.E. THE WINGNUT ROTATES WITH THE ROTATING SCREW) OR MUST IT ONLY HAVE LINEAR MOTION (I.E. THE ROTATING SCREW ONLY PUSHES THE WINGNUT ALONG ITS THREADS)?
The wing nut needs to move linearly. The threaded wing nut must move along a threaded rod or screw.
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by LittleMissNyan »

GPRSTEM wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 3:58 pm I don't understand this rule clarification --> https://www.soinc.org/mission-possible

(Section: 3 / Paragraph: c / Sub-Paragraph: v / Line: 1)
10/29/2019
CAN THE WINGNUT HAVE ROTATIONAL MOTION (I.E. THE WINGNUT ROTATES WITH THE ROTATING SCREW) OR MUST IT ONLY HAVE LINEAR MOTION (I.E. THE ROTATING SCREW ONLY PUSHES THE WINGNUT ALONG ITS THREADS)?
The wing nut needs to move linearly. The threaded wing nut must move along a threaded rod or screw.
Linear = moving left or right on the threaded rod
Rotational = spinning around on the rod
See here you need another rod to make the wing nut move linearly, instead of spinning around and around on the rod.
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
GPRSTEM

Post by GPRSTEM »

But the rule says that the wingnut has to be threaded on the rotating screw and the wingnut has to move 2cm horizontal distance. The rule clarification and the rule seem to be different.

How can a wingnut be threaded on a rotating screw and move only linearly. I can understand the concept behind introducing another object but it seems too complex for division b.
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by LittleMissNyan »

GPRSTEM wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 8:05 am But the rule says that the wingnut has to be threaded on the rotating screw and the wingnut has to move 2cm horizontal distance. The rule clarification and the rule seem to be different.

How can a wingnut be threaded on a rotating screw and move only linearly. I can understand the concept behind introducing another object but it seems too complex for division b.
Actually, the wingnut system was how each team's Battery Buggy (a Div B event from last year) stopped. The wingnut will move linearly because the other rod/surface bumping up against a wing of the wingnut will prevent it from spinning around, so it's forced to move along the rod, therefore linearly. The link I posted has a diagram of this.
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt

Return to “Mission Possible B”