Action vi: Up the inclined plane

trdd
Member
Member
Posts: 64
Joined: September 13th, 2018, 7:24 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Action vi: Up the inclined plane

Post by trdd » September 5th, 2019, 4:57 am

Action vi:
Push or pull a golf ball up an inclined plane with an ideal mechanical advantage (IMA) more or equal to 2. After rising at least 10 vertical cm, the golf ball must initiate the next action.

Use this post to comment on this task.

trdd
Member
Member
Posts: 64
Joined: September 13th, 2018, 7:24 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Action vi: Up the inclined plane

Post by trdd » September 5th, 2019, 5:14 am

Similar to last year's Division C task but replacing the 500 gram object with a golf ball. In this video you can see how this task was achieved: https://youtu.be/c7zmzxid9SQ

User avatar
Havocgamer49
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: September 16th, 2019, 3:28 pm
Division: B
State: NC
Location: In a galaxy far, far away
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Action vi: Up the inclined plane

Post by Havocgamer49 » January 2nd, 2020, 11:11 am

Is there any chance you could explain in more detail what you did in your machine for the inclined plane action, as all I can see is a pencil falling down and a weight being pulled. I do not understand how the weight is pulled or how the pencil restrains the weight from being pulled earlier.

Thanks in advance,

- A fellow Science Olympian
Havocgamer49's Userpage
Jay M Robinson Varsity Team 2017-2020
2017-2018 Events: Disease Detectives, Rocks and Minerals
2018-2019 Events: Disease Detectives, Duct Tape Challenge, Fossils
2019-2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Fossils, Mission Possible, Reach for the Stars

9mr.joebob0
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: January 2nd, 2020, 9:28 pm
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Action vi: Up the inclined plane

Post by 9mr.joebob0 » January 2nd, 2020, 9:33 pm

Havocgamer49 wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 11:11 am
Is there any chance you could explain in more detail what you did in your machine for the inclined plane action, as all I can see is a pencil falling down and a weight being pulled. I do not understand how the weight is pulled or how the pencil restrains the weight from being pulled earlier.

Thanks in advance,

- A fellow Science Olympian
From what I can tell, its a retractable key chain that is being prevented from moving by the the pencil, so when the pencil is pulled away it goes up right away.
2019-2020 Events: Mission Possible, ELG, Circuit Lab

Places at inv/inv/inv/regionals
Mission Possible: 6/?/?/?
ELG: 1/?/?/?
Circuit Lab: 10/?/?/?

User avatar
Havocgamer49
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: September 16th, 2019, 3:28 pm
Division: B
State: NC
Location: In a galaxy far, far away
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Action vi: Up the inclined plane

Post by Havocgamer49 » January 3rd, 2020, 4:48 pm

9mr.joebob0 wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 9:33 pm
Havocgamer49 wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 11:11 am
Is there any chance you could explain in more detail what you did in your machine for the inclined plane action, as all I can see is a pencil falling down and a weight being pulled. I do not understand how the weight is pulled or how the pencil restrains the weight from being pulled earlier.

Thanks in advance,

- A fellow Science Olympian
From what I can tell, its a retractable key chain that is being prevented from moving by the the pencil, so when the pencil is pulled away it goes up right away.
Ahh I see, thanks. Me and my partner already tried using a retractable key chain, but we couldn't find anything to restrain it from happening, guess we'll try that pencil out...
Havocgamer49's Userpage
Jay M Robinson Varsity Team 2017-2020
2017-2018 Events: Disease Detectives, Rocks and Minerals
2018-2019 Events: Disease Detectives, Duct Tape Challenge, Fossils
2019-2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Fossils, Mission Possible, Reach for the Stars

User avatar
Havocgamer49
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: September 16th, 2019, 3:28 pm
Division: B
State: NC
Location: In a galaxy far, far away
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Action vi: Up the inclined plane

Post by Havocgamer49 » January 14th, 2020, 4:47 pm

I have another question, sorry if I seem like I'm asking too many of them.

Can I roll a golf ball down a ramp, and then pull that golf ball back up that same plank and count it as the inclined plane action?

I am concerned that there would be something in the rules that says that one cannot use the same ramp for 2 different things.

Thanks again,

- Your fellow Science Olympian
Havocgamer49's Userpage
Jay M Robinson Varsity Team 2017-2020
2017-2018 Events: Disease Detectives, Rocks and Minerals
2018-2019 Events: Disease Detectives, Duct Tape Challenge, Fossils
2019-2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Fossils, Mission Possible, Reach for the Stars

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Action vi: Up the inclined plane

Post by builder83 » January 15th, 2020, 6:20 am

Havocgamer49 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 4:47 pm
I have another question, sorry if I seem like I'm asking too many of them.

Can I roll a golf ball down a ramp, and then pull that golf ball back up that same plank and count it as the inclined plane action?

I am concerned that there would be something in the rules that says that one cannot use the same ramp for 2 different things.

Thanks again,

- Your fellow Science Olympian
There is something in the rules. No moveable object can be used in multiple tasks, except the initial golf ball that is used for the start/final task.

GPRSTEM
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 6:33 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Action vi: Up the inclined plane

Post by GPRSTEM » January 15th, 2020, 6:34 am

builder83 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 6:20 am
Havocgamer49 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 4:47 pm
I have another question, sorry if I seem like I'm asking too many of them.

Can I roll a golf ball down a ramp, and then pull that golf ball back up that same plank and count it as the inclined plane action?

I am concerned that there would be something in the rules that says that one cannot use the same ramp for 2 different things.

Thanks again,

- Your fellow Science Olympian
There is something in the rules. No moveable object can be used in multiple tasks, except the initial golf ball that is used for the start/final task.
The inclined plane can be the same for both the actions but not the golf ball or any other moving object on the plane.

User avatar
Havocgamer49
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: September 16th, 2019, 3:28 pm
Division: B
State: NC
Location: In a galaxy far, far away
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Action vi: Up the inclined plane

Post by Havocgamer49 » January 15th, 2020, 6:45 am

builder83 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 6:20 am
Havocgamer49 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 4:47 pm
I have another question, sorry if I seem like I'm asking too many of them.

Can I roll a golf ball down a ramp, and then pull that golf ball back up that same plank and count it as the inclined plane action?

I am concerned that there would be something in the rules that says that one cannot use the same ramp for 2 different things.

Thanks again,

- Your fellow Science Olympian
There is something in the rules. No moveable object can be used in multiple tasks, except the initial golf ball that is used for the start/final task.
But my ramp is not "movable" as it is fixed to the wall. And I am only planning to use this ramp for the golf ball to go down and come back up.
Havocgamer49's Userpage
Jay M Robinson Varsity Team 2017-2020
2017-2018 Events: Disease Detectives, Rocks and Minerals
2018-2019 Events: Disease Detectives, Duct Tape Challenge, Fossils
2019-2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Fossils, Mission Possible, Reach for the Stars

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Action vi: Up the inclined plane

Post by builder83 » January 15th, 2020, 6:51 am

Havocgamer49 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 6:45 am
builder83 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 6:20 am
Havocgamer49 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 4:47 pm
I have another question, sorry if I seem like I'm asking too many of them.

Can I roll a golf ball down a ramp, and then pull that golf ball back up that same plank and count it as the inclined plane action?

I am concerned that there would be something in the rules that says that one cannot use the same ramp for 2 different things.

Thanks again,

- Your fellow Science Olympian
There is something in the rules. No moveable object can be used in multiple tasks, except the initial golf ball that is used for the start/final task.
But my ramp is not "movable" as it is fixed to the wall. And I am only planning to use this ramp for the golf ball to go down and come back up.
If you are only using that golf ball for 1 task you are fine. If not, the golf ball is a moveable object being used for multiple tasks and would only count towards 1 scorable action. Any fixed object, like the ramp, can be used in as many tasks as you want.

Post Reply

Return to “Mission Possible B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest