Final Action: Putting the initial dropped ball to the tee

trdd
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Final Action: Putting the initial dropped ball to the tee

Post by trdd »

Final Action:
After all other planned scorable actions have been attempted, the golf ball from the Start Action must be moved at least 20 horizontal cm from its original resting position and placed on the golf tee so that it stays on the tee for at least 3 seconds. (250 points). To get the points, the ball must only be touching the tee and nothing else.

Use this post to comment on this action.
trdd

Re: Final Action: Putting the initial dropped ball to the tee

Post by trdd »

LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

The Rules wrote:The golf tee may have any length, but the diameter must be no greater than 1.25 cm (1/2 inch).
Where do you get a 1/2 inch golf tee? I did some searching and 1 1/2 is considered small for a golf tee.
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

LittleMissNyan wrote: September 13th, 2019, 1:49 pm
The Rules wrote:The golf tee may have any length, but the diameter must be no greater than 1.25 cm (1/2 inch).
Where do you get a 1/2 inch golf tee? I did some searching and 1 1/2 is considered small for a golf tee.
Per the rule, the 1.25cm dimension refers to the diameter not the height.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

nicholasmaurer wrote: September 13th, 2019, 2:58 pm
LittleMissNyan wrote: September 13th, 2019, 1:49 pm
Per the rule, the 1.25cm dimension refers to the diameter not the height.
oof on me
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Task IX Is pulling a wedge from a golf ball and rolling it 20 cm. I am assuming you cannot use that action and combine it with this one (where the ball ends up on the tee). So using 1 wedge, 1 20 cm ramp, 1 golf tee to count for both task IX and final task.
trdd

Post by trdd »

builder83 wrote: September 15th, 2019, 1:21 pm Task IX Is pulling a wedge from a golf ball and rolling it 20 cm. I am assuming you cannot use that action and combine it with this one (where the ball ends up on the tee). So using 1 wedge, 1 20 cm ramp, 1 golf tee to count for both task IX and final task.
That would be considered a parallel action. In that case either your final or your Task ix would not be scored (One of them would not be scored). You cannot combine tasks. However, you could have the 20cm ramp from task ix connected to another 20 cm ramp such that when the ball from task ix finises the first 20 cm ramp hits the ball from the start task to another ramp that goes to the final.
torqueburner
Division: C
State: PA

Post by torqueburner »

trdd wrote: September 19th, 2019, 6:15 am
builder83 wrote: September 15th, 2019, 1:21 pm . . .So using 1 wedge, 1 20 cm ramp, 1 golf tee to count for both task IX and final task.
That would be considered a parallel action. In that case either your final or your Task ix would not be scored (One of them would not be scored). You cannot combine tasks. . .
Though a parallel action is not explicitly defined in the rules, it typically refers to a situation where the chain of actions splits and then rejoins later in the sequence. As a result, if one of the actions after the split failed, the other could still keep the sequence going. So what you describe would not be considered a parallel action. However, trdd is quite correct that you cannot do this. It would violate rule 3.a.ii, which requires actions to be consecutive. It would also run afoul of rule 3.a.iv, since the ramp and golf ball would have been utilized by more than one action. In addition, the final task requirements specify that the ball on the tee must be the ball from the initial task.
kinghong1970
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by kinghong1970 »

so rule regarding Final Action states:

d.i. After all other planned scorable actions have been attempted, the golf ball from Start Action in 3.b. must be moved at least 20 horizontal cm from it's original resting position and placed on the golf tee...

am i correct in interpreting this rule such that the final action will make the ball move 20cm horizontally but not before the final action is triggered?

thanks in advance.

Al
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

kinghong1970 wrote: September 24th, 2019, 1:34 pm so rule regarding Final Action states:

d.i. After all other planned scorable actions have been attempted, the golf ball from Start Action in 3.b. must be moved at least 20 horizontal cm from it's original resting position and placed on the golf tee...

am i correct in interpreting this rule such that the final action will make the ball move 20cm horizontally but not before the final action is triggered?
Yes. You don't have a time machine, so the final action certainly can't make anything happen before the final action is triggered.

Putting the rules together, you drop a golf ball into your device, which initiates your next action. The golf ball then stops moving. When all your actions are complete, the final action is to move that golf ball at least 20cm horizontally from wherever it was stopped (and any distance you like vertically) to place it on the golf tee. So you can't, for example, count this 20cm motion as the roll from 3c(ix) or 3c(xi).

Return to “Mission Possible B”