Final Action BONUS (150 points)

trdd
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Final Action BONUS (150 points)

Post by trdd »

Final Action BONUS (150 points):
If the part of the Device that delivered the ball to the tee is then automatically moved away so the ball is clearly unobstructed in all directions, an additional 150 points will be awarded. The ball must stay on the tee and no part of the Device (Except the tee and tee holder) can be within 10 cm of the ball in any direction. This can occur after timing stops.

Use this post to comment on this action.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Final Action BONUS (150 points)

Post by nicholasmaurer »

trdd wrote: September 5th, 2019, 5:11 am Final Action BONUS (150 points):
If the part of the Device that delivered the ball to the tee is then automatically moved away so the ball is clearly unobstructed in all directions, an additional 150 points will be awarded. The ball must stay on the tee and no part of the Device (Except the tee and tee holder) can be within 10 cm of the ball in any direction. This can occur after timing stops.

The lack of a time limit on this worries me...
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Thank you for creating these topics, trdd.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
trdd

Post by trdd »

nicholasmaurer wrote: September 5th, 2019, 9:12 am
trdd wrote: September 5th, 2019, 5:11 am Final Action BONUS (150 points):

The lack of a time limit on this worries me...
Good catch! They probably missed this one. Maybe they should add that "this can occur after timing stops but it should take no longer than 15 additional seconds." ...or something along those lines.
trdd

Post by trdd »

haystackx
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by haystackx »

Under the Final Action section, in part ii., it states: “If the part of the Device that delivered the ball to the tee is then automatically moved away...an additional 150 points will be awarded. I understand what this means, but in the same paragraph, it states, “...no part of the Device (except the tee and the tee holder) can be within 10 cm of the ball...”

I’m not sure if it is talking about the Device as the entire contraption or the Device as in the the thing that delivers the ball. Because I feel like 10 cm in any direction of the entire device is really hard to accomplish and I would have to make a separate section just for the bonus points. Does anyone know if the Device means the thing that delivers the initial ball or the entire Device itself, like how ’Device’ is used in the starting action section?
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

haystackx wrote: December 6th, 2019, 5:18 pm Under the Final Action section, in part ii., it states: “If the part of the Device that delivered the ball to the tee is then automatically moved away...an additional 150 points will be awarded. I understand what this means, but in the same paragraph, it states, “...no part of the Device (except the tee and the tee holder) can be within 10 cm of the ball...”

I’m not sure if it is talking about the Device as the entire contraption or the Device as in the the thing that delivers the ball. Because I feel like 10 cm in any direction of the entire device is really hard to accomplish and I would have to make a separate section just for the bonus points. Does anyone know if the Device means the thing that delivers the initial ball or the entire Device itself, like how ’Device’ is used in the starting action section?
We interpreted it that nothing besides the tee and holder can be within that radius, including stuff like walls. (Originally thought it was just the part but then we read it again.... rip bonus for tomorrow)
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
nateDC
Division: C
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by nateDC »

LittleMissNyan wrote: December 6th, 2019, 6:39 pm
haystackx wrote: December 6th, 2019, 5:18 pm Under the Final Action section, in part ii., it states: “If the part of the Device that delivered the ball to the tee is then automatically moved away...an additional 150 points will be awarded. I understand what this means, but in the same paragraph, it states, “...no part of the Device (except the tee and the tee holder) can be within 10 cm of the ball...”

We interpreted it that nothing besides the tee and holder can be within that radius, including stuff like walls. (Originally thought it was just the part but then we read it again.... rip bonus for tomorrow)
This interpretation should be correct.
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...
Ltrikie415
Division: B
State: CA

Post by Ltrikie415 »

Can I just cut a 10 cm square hole out of the wall next to the tee if it butts up against the wall?
kinghong1970
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by kinghong1970 »

this was clarified by National over at their site in FAQ's

(Section: 3 / Paragraph: d / Sub-Paragraph: ii / Line: 1)
10/08/2019
IF THE TEE HOLDER IS MOUNTED ONTO THE WALL OR BASE OF THE DEVICE, DOES THE WALL AND BASE COUNT AS PART OF THE DEVICE AND SUBJECT TO THE 10CM CLEARANCE REQUIREMENT OF THE RULE?

The wall or base may be considered as part of the "tee holder" and would not be subject to the 10cm clearance requirement. However, the top of the tee must still be at least 2.5 cm above any part of the "tee holder".

Return to “Mission Possible B”