The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Vive
Been thanked: 0

Re: The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Post by Vive »

Whats the winning score for Mission at Centerville?
kjlokesh
Has thanked: 0

Post by kjlokesh »

1500+ first place, 2nd and 3rd were 1400+
Vive

Post by Vive »

That's a great score! Do you know which team ?
Krish2007
Division: C
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Krish2007 »

Vive wrote: February 10th, 2020, 1:05 pm That's a great score! Do you know which team ?
Solon was the 1st place team, with Watts and Baker in second and third respectively. If you want to see all of the placings from centerville, I tried to keep track of them here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
kjlokesh wrote: February 10th, 2020, 12:53 pm 1500+ first place, 2nd and 3rd were 1400+
I was the 4th place team that got about a 1350 in mission, so maybe if that domino hadn't fell out and we had touched one less time we would have gotten second or third.
Seven Lakes High School '25
Beckendorff Junior High '21
kjlokesh

Post by kjlokesh »

We received 150 points penalty for the Electricity not used other than action 3.c.x. which was supervisors mistake. Orelse we would have been placed first. We noticed this only after award ceremony.

Lesson learnt. Educate the kids to review the score sheet before you leave the event.
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

So, rule 4c speaks of bonus points for a designated timer which cannot use springs for power. What if we don't want these bonus points and we don't designate an action as a timer, can we have a step that uses springs for power? The answer is yes, since rule 3.a.v allows for springs. But, then we noticed the penalty in 6.d.i. Will this penalty be applied to any spring powered action that takes longer than 10 seconds or only to those used as spring timing actions? For example, if we have a step that takes 20 seconds using spring power, but we don't designate it as a timer for the bonus points, will we get this penalty? I know this is not official, but any thoughts would be helpful. It seems like a double whammy if we (1) don't get bonus points because it uses spring power and (2) we get a penalty instead???
builder83

Post by builder83 »

goodcheer wrote: February 13th, 2020, 7:22 am So, rule 4c speaks of bonus points for a designated timer which cannot use springs for power. What if we don't want these bonus points and we don't designate an action as a timer, can we have a step that uses springs for power? The answer is yes, since rule 3.a.v allows for springs. But, then we noticed the penalty in 6.d.i. Will this penalty be applied to any spring powered action that takes longer than 10 seconds or only to those used as spring timing actions? For example, if we have a step that takes 20 seconds using spring power, but we don't designate it as a timer for the bonus points, will we get this penalty? I know this is not official, but any thoughts would be helpful. It seems like a double whammy if we (1) don't get bonus points because it uses spring power and (2) we get a penalty instead???
Like you said, it cannot be used as a timer because it has a spring. It also takes more than 10 seconds so it will receive a penalty too because it is a timing action to increase the duration of the device. To avoid the penalty, you can keep spring but have it last less than 10 seconds.
whatdoiputhere
State: IL

Post by whatdoiputhere »

My timer action consists of a golf ball hitting a wooden bar so that a clip that is pinching a surgical house is no longer pinching it, allowing water to flow. This water is the same water I used in action 3.c.x. The water then raises a golf ball which is floating on ping pong balls, and that golf ball hits a golf ball resting above it to move that second golf ball. However, when the golf balls collide to start the next action, the water does not stop, and instead it keeps flowing until all of the water from the basin in action 3.c.x has drained into the pipe. I have two questions about this:
1. Am I allowed to use the water from the basin in action 3.c.x, or does this violate rule 3.a.iv?
2. Is it ok that the water keeps flowing into the timer action after the timer action has resolved and the next action has been triggered?
If there is anything else related that I should know or any problems you see, don't hesitate to tell me.
Events: Mission Possible, Ornithology, Game On
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

whatdoiputhere wrote: February 27th, 2020, 2:46 pm My timer action consists of a golf ball hitting a wooden bar so that a clip that is pinching a surgical house is no longer pinching it, allowing water to flow. This water is the same water I used in action 3.c.x.
Rule 3a (iv): Each movable/adjustable physical object in the Device must be utilized by at most one assigned action (except the golf ball in the Start and Final Actions).

You have a problem. You can't re-use the water.
2. Is it ok that the water keeps flowing into the timer action after the timer action has resolved and the next action has been triggered?
My opinion is that this is fine, but I've seen ES take an aggressive view of what makes a parallel action.
whatdoiputhere
State: IL

Post by whatdoiputhere »

All right, looks like I have some work to do.
Events: Mission Possible, Ornithology, Game On

Return to “Mission Possible B”