The competition: participant may designate a Timer

knightmoves

Re: The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Post by knightmoves »

Krish2007 wrote: October 28th, 2019, 4:42 pm In the rules, it never says that, but the proctors at UT Austin said you can't get credit for both the timer and the action you're using as a timer. So you won't get credit for the water task if you count it as a timer.
Event Supervisors should not make up rules. Do you know if that decision went to arbitration? I'd love to know in which line of the rules the Event Supervisor found this interpretation.

The rules say that "participants may designate a timer, an action taking over 10 seconds that does not use electricity or springs for power, to be eligible for bonus points". Nowhere does it say that the action they designate as a timer may not be one of the 12 unique scorable actions from 3c. Each scorable action may only earn points once in the ASL (rule 3e(iii)), but the timer bonus is not "in the ASL".

(From the example ASL on the soinc website (2019 C rules), "1. Do not list bonus points for timing.". Also note that in that case task 7 was identified as both meeting scorable action (i) and as the timer. )

I don't think there is any way in which the ES can have been correct in his ruling here.
Vive
Been thanked: 0

Post by Vive »

I totally agree with knightmoves comments. Better if the query is posted on FAQs.
Krish2007
Division: C
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Krish2007 »

Event Supervisors should not make up rules. Do you know if that decision went to arbitration? I'd love to know in which line of the rules the Event Supervisor found this interpretation.

The rules say that "participants may designate a timer, an action taking over 10 seconds that does not use electricity or springs for power, to be eligible for bonus points". Nowhere does it say that the action they designate as a timer may not be one of the 12 unique scorable actions from 3c. Each scorable action may only earn points once in the ASL (rule 3e(iii)), but the timer bonus is not "in the ASL".

(From the example ASL on the soinc website (2019 C rules), "1. Do not list bonus points for timing.". Also note that in that case task 7 was identified as both meeting scorable action (i) and as the timer. )

I don't think there is any way in which the ES can have been correct in his ruling here.
I completely agree with you knightmoves. There is no clarification on this in the rules and even on the sample ASL it uses the timer as a scorable action. I'm sorry to have created any confusion, I simply wished to state something that I thought would help. The ES was wrong and the inquiry proves that I was wrong. So again I'm really sorry to have confused or mislead anyone about this.
Link to the inquiry: https://www.soinc.org/can-any-scorable- ... used-timer
Seven Lakes High School '25
Beckendorff Junior High '21
Devinszhang
Has thanked: 0

Post by Devinszhang »

I am confused again. So the timer is really the 13th scorable action that has variable points based on the time it runs?
nateDC
State: MD

Post by nateDC »

Devinszhang wrote: December 6th, 2019, 9:22 am I am confused again. So the timer is really the 13th scorable action that has variable points based on the time it runs?
The timer is any action you choose to designate, scorable or non-scorable, that takes over 10 seconds to run. It is not a 13th action, rather it can be one of your scorable actions or a completely unique action you construct.
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...
Devinszhang

Post by Devinszhang »

Got it. Thanks!
Vive

Post by Vive »

nateDC wrote: December 6th, 2019, 10:20 am
Devinszhang wrote: December 6th, 2019, 9:22 am I am confused again. So the timer is really the 13th scorable action that has variable points based on the time it runs?
The timer is any action you choose to designate, scorable or non-scorable, that takes over 10 seconds to run. It is not a 13th action, rather it can be one of your scorable actions or a completely unique action you construct.
Can we designate two scorable timers?
Krish2007
State: TX

Post by Krish2007 »

Vive wrote: December 16th, 2019, 12:20 pm
nateDC wrote: December 6th, 2019, 10:20 am
Can we designate two scorable timers?
In the rules, it specifically says that participants may design a scorable timer. You can have a many "timers" as you want, but you will only get points for one
Seven Lakes High School '25
Beckendorff Junior High '21
Vive

Post by Vive »

Thanks. Yes, it says 'a' times
kjlokesh

Post by kjlokesh »

Just attended the ceterville competetion, which was conducted by the person who wrote the Mission Possible rules. you can designate a scorable action as a timer. We used the slow raising golf ball as timer and received the points.

Return to “Mission Possible B”