Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Detector Building C

Post by Umaroth »

someone1580 wrote: September 14th, 2019, 1:15 pm On Amazon, there is an "Elegoo Starter Kit" which is basically the same as Arduino but a different name brand. Can I use that for the competition or are we restricted to using an Arduino/Raspberry Pi/TI Innovator microcontroller board?
Any microcontroller is allowed
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
hbonnes
State: MT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by hbonnes »

Would it be alright to create our own waterproofing on a thermistor? As far as I know the rules states you can not use preconstructed ones which I assume allows you to make your own?
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

hbonnes wrote: September 17th, 2019, 11:59 pm Would it be alright to create our own waterproofing on a thermistor? As far as I know the rules states you can not use preconstructed ones which I assume allows you to make your own?
Yes, this is allowed. In fact, the event expects you to have waterproofing: in competition, the event supervisor will be testing the durability of your device by submerging it underwater. As part of your design log, you'll be describing how you made your detector waterproof, so this will help the event supervisor to tell that you made the waterproofing yourself and that you didn't use a thermistor with waterproofing already applied by the manufacturer.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
YeagerTheCat

Post by YeagerTheCat »

Absolutely. It is part of the fun/misery :-)
hbonnes

Post by hbonnes »

I figured, wording just had me confused!
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

gz839918 wrote: September 18th, 2019, 7:08 am
hbonnes wrote: September 17th, 2019, 11:59 pm Would it be alright to create our own waterproofing on a thermistor? As far as I know the rules states you can not use preconstructed ones which I assume allows you to make your own?
Yes, this is allowed. In fact, the event expects you to have waterproofing: in competition, the event supervisor will be testing the durability of your device by submerging it underwater. As part of your design log, you'll be describing how you made your detector waterproof, so this will help the event supervisor to tell that you made the waterproofing yourself and that you didn't use a thermistor with waterproofing already applied by the manufacturer.
Is this even on the rules? I know this was a thing for the trial event but I don't see anything on the official rules about having to withstand a water test.
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Umaroth »

dxu46 wrote: September 18th, 2019, 4:45 pm
Is this even on the rules? I know this was a thing for the trial event but I don't see anything on the official rules about having to withstand a water test.
I mean if the probe is measuring the temperature of water I'd assume it would have to be waterproof to put it in safely...
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
lindsmaurer
State: OH

Post by lindsmaurer »

Umaroth wrote: September 18th, 2019, 5:05 pm
dxu46 wrote: September 18th, 2019, 4:45 pm

I mean if the probe is measuring the temperature of water I'd assume it would have to be waterproof to put it in safely...
Dxu is right that there’s no boiling water test or durability test anymore, but it still has to be waterproof...
Solon HS Captain
DMAH
Sassy #137
1-3 placements: 58
Medals + ribbons: 109

Fossils: X/2/3
Code: 2/1/10
Sounds: 1/2/11
Detector: 1/2/X
Circuits: 8/X/X
Gravity: 7/X/X
GLM: X\X\X
hbonnes

Post by hbonnes »

If I were to have my the microcontroller and displays in a small box for example, and have the sensor with a wire with the sensor coming out of the box with the minimum 30cm waterproofed, would this be a valid build? The wording "The sensor and wires/cables, together, must be a minimum of 30.0 cm in length" makes me think something like this may be valid, but some clarification would be nice!
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

hbonnes wrote: September 18th, 2019, 9:08 pm If I were to have my the microcontroller and displays in a small box for example, and have the sensor with a wire with the sensor coming out of the box with the minimum 30cm waterproofed, would this be a valid build? The wording "The sensor and wires/cables, together, must be a minimum of 30.0 cm in length" makes me think something like this may be valid, but some clarification would be nice!
Why wouldn't it be valid? It fits the rules. You've got 30cm of sensor / wire / cable that fits through a 5cm hole. Nothing in the rules says that you have to use a laptop or calculator for programming and display - just that you can if you like. If you want to build a device with pushbuttons to adjust the temperature ranges, you are free to do so.

Return to “Detector Building C”