Detector Building C

rabbitman
Has thanked: 0

Re: Detector Building C

Post by rabbitman »

Umaroth wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 4:25 pm
smallboar wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 3:26 pm I'm new to this event, what microprocessor is easier to learn/use, Ti or arduino?
Do yourself a favor and use arduino, it's more practical and useful for the future. The only reason TI is suggested is because they're the sponsors.
only the absolute best are capable of wielding the legendary power of the TI Innovator
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

I have found that extremely FALSE.

JKJK

You can do perfectly fine with it, it's just the fact that you're going to have to fine tune it like any other detector.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
pepperonipi
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

rabbitman wrote: February 24th, 2020, 2:29 pm
Umaroth wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 4:25 pm
smallboar wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 3:26 pm I'm new to this event, what microprocessor is easier to learn/use, Ti or arduino?
Do yourself a favor and use arduino, it's more practical and useful for the future. The only reason TI is suggested is because they're the sponsors.
only the absolute best are capable of wielding the legendary power of the TI Innovator
We tried it and I did not like the fact that the TI Innovator basically has little to no community behind it, which can certainly make it a little hard to get answers to coding questions or overall use questions. It was certainly usable, but I do not regret switching back to Arduino.
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
lindsmaurer
State: OH

Post by lindsmaurer »

I've always used arduino because that's the same design that I used back when this was a trial, and it's accurate while being fairly simple to make.
Solon HS Captain
DMAH
Sassy #137
1-3 placements: 58
Medals + ribbons: 109

Fossils: X/2/3
Code: 2/1/10
Sounds: 1/2/11
Detector: 1/2/X
Circuits: 8/X/X
Gravity: 7/X/X
GLM: X\X\X
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Is there any reason why a thermistor would display a different voltage for the same temperature than it did two weeks ago? This seems to have happened with my device and now I'm not sure I can trust it to not change before the competition
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
jinhusong
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

Did you measure or calculate the resistance? Maybe your battery is low?
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

I thought low battery would only impact a linear analog to digital sensor, not a thermistor? I tried switching batteries and the readings all remained the same. For reference, two weeks ago the device would read a voltage of 395 for 15 degrees, but now it reads a voltage of 380 for 15 degrees. Nothing was changed. I didn't measure the resistance to begin with, I just related voltage directly to temperature with a 5 part piecewise function.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
Jashan12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jashan12 »

What is a solid score on the reading temperature section (out of 60)?
jinhusong

Post by jinhusong »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 3:04 pm I thought low battery would only impact a linear analog to digital sensor, not a thermistor? I tried switching batteries and the readings all remained the same. For reference, two weeks ago the device would read a voltage of 395 for 15 degrees, but now it reads a voltage of 380 for 15 degrees. Nothing was changed. I didn't measure the resistance to begin with, I just related voltage directly to temperature with a 5 part piecewise function.
You can try with another thermistor to see if any change. Normally, change thermistor will not change the voltage that much.

Better do debug, assuming you are using the standard voltage-divide circuit, like a 10k ohm reference resistor serial with a 10k thermistor.
Use multimeter to check voltage at each points on the circuit of the thermistor and compare with the value from calculation (you can calculate the supposed voltage from the temperature and the reference resistor).

BTW, voltage "395", raw ADC integer?
What voltage you power the thermistor circuit? What is the range and bits of your ADC (Arduino UNO is 10bits, range is 5.0V, 1.1V, or user input) ? Any change of these will affect the voltage reading.
nisha01
Been thanked: 0

Post by nisha01 »

Hello, I am currently working with the TI LM 19 as my sensor. I waterproofed it with a hard plastic straw, saran wrap, and tape. However, when I did my voltage versus temperature graph, the reading was not close to being linear, and the best line of fit did not seem like a good option to get the right temperature since it was very broad. Also, when I calculated my temperature with my negative slope and a y-intercept in the 200s, I noticed the temperature is extremely off.

Would you recommend switching thermistors, or what are the other errors that could be made? Please let me know, my competition is in very few days.

Return to “Detector Building C”