Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Re: Detector Building C

Post by gz839918 »

lindsmaurer wrote: September 18th, 2019, 5:38 pm
Umaroth wrote: September 18th, 2019, 5:05 pm
dxu46 wrote: September 18th, 2019, 4:45 pm Is this even on the rules? I know this was a thing for the trial event but I don't see anything on the official rules about having to withstand a water test.
I mean if the probe is measuring the temperature of water I'd assume it would have to be waterproof to put it in safely...
Dxu is right that there’s no boiling water test or durability test anymore, but it still has to be waterproof...
The end of your detector "must be immersible up to 15.0 cm of water" by rule 3.b. I'm sorry if I confused anybody for saying durability would be "tested," because durability is no longer its own component, as dxu correctly pointed out. I guess the implication is that if your device melts or breaks due to water during the event, your device would be flagged with a construction violation.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
TheMysteriousMapMan
Division: C
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheMysteriousMapMan »

I know it's all just nomenclature, but is Detector Building a Lab or a Build event? Are all events with both a hands-on and a theory portion a lab, or does it have to do whether it is a prebuild?
2020 Events: Astronomy, Experimental Design, Detector Building, Ornithology, Sounds of Music.

Unsuccessful Assassinator of Game 143.

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

TheMysteriousMapMan wrote: September 21st, 2019, 11:45 am I know it's all just nomenclature, but is Detector Building a Lab or a Build event? Are all events with both a hands-on and a theory portion a lab, or does it have to do whether it is a prebuild?
I am not sure why it's classified under builds. Probably because under trial rules it was mostly pure build. It's under Tech rather than Physics, although I wouldn't be surprised if it got traded into Physics eventually (if/when Tech finds another event to fill the Robot Arm hole). As the rules are now, I would classify it as a lab event.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jinhusong
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

This list is so quiet, so I am just going to post something.

This year, I will coach 3 C teams (same school) for building events.

Here are some my thoughts, any feedback are welcome.

1. Calibration Curve fit: thermistor with full Steinhart–Hart equation, 4 points. TMP36/M35: also 4 points to the 3rd degree of polynomial.

2. ADC: Arduino built-in ADC only 10 bits, too tight for 0.1 degree C, so plan to use 16 Bit ADC (ADS1115).

3. ~1000 readings to average.

4. Advanced circuit for probe electronics.

5. Arduino will be used. Just because more kids are familiar with Arduino and cheaper to buy. External ADC will be used, so Raspberry Pi is also possible.

Will ask kids to study how thermistor and TMP36 work, how ADC works, how LED works. They already know Arduino.

Tiger (Jinhu)
jinhusong
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

FAQ:

(Section: 3 / Paragraph: b / Line: 1)
10/09/2019
ARE WE ALLOWED TO USE MORE THAN ONE TEMPERATURE SENSOR AND USE AN AVERAGE READING OF THEM, OR IS THERE A LIMIT OF ONLY ONE INPUT DEVICE?
No, only one sensor per device is allowed.

==============
I was thinking use different thermistors for reading temperature close to 0 degree C and 75 degree C. Well, just have to pick one, maybe 10kohm or 20kohm.

Tiger
pepperonipi
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

jinhusong wrote: October 9th, 2019, 2:36 pm FAQ:

10/09/2019
ARE WE ALLOWED TO USE MORE THAN ONE TEMPERATURE SENSOR AND USE AN AVERAGE READING OF THEM, OR IS THERE A LIMIT OF ONLY ONE INPUT DEVICE?

==============
I was thinking use different thermistors for reading temperature close to 0 degree C and 75 degree C. Well, just have to pick one, maybe 10kohm or 20kohm.

Tiger
Yeah, I feel that using multiple thermistors would defeat the purpose of the event. At that point, I feel some teams may attempt to just very finely tune lots of individual thermistors, which takes away a lot of the challenge...
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
lindsmaurer
State: OH

Post by lindsmaurer »

pepperonipi wrote: October 9th, 2019, 2:55 pm
jinhusong wrote: October 9th, 2019, 2:36 pm FAQ:

10/09/2019

==============

Tiger
Yeah, I feel that using multiple thermistors would defeat the purpose of the event. At that point, I feel some teams may attempt to just very finely tune lots of individual thermistors, which takes away a lot of the challenge...
Yeah but it’s also kind of disappointing... I was also going to use one NTC and one PTC thermistor for different ranges
Solon HS Captain
DMAH
Sassy #137
1-3 placements: 58
Medals + ribbons: 109

Fossils: X/2/3
Code: 2/1/10
Sounds: 1/2/11
Detector: 1/2/X
Circuits: 8/X/X
Gravity: 7/X/X
GLM: X\X\X
kendreaditya
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Post by kendreaditya »

jinhusong wrote: October 5th, 2019, 8:29 pm 1. Calibration Curve fit: thermistor with full Steinhart–Hart equation, 4 points. TMP36/M35: also 4 points to the 3rd degree of polynomial.
So in #1, you said "full Steinhart–Hart equation, 4 points", does the 4 points mean, input 4 points instead of 3? Because in my findings, I have discovered that it decreases accuracy.

Edit: It sounds like it shouldn't, but it does, I have no idea why
pepperonipi
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

jinhusong wrote: October 5th, 2019, 8:29 pm 2. ADC: Arduino built-in ADC only 10 bits, too tight for 0.1 degree C, so plan to use 16 Bit ADC (ADS1115).
Isn't this not allowed, according to the FAQ?
(Section: 3 / Paragraph: a / Line: 1)
10/13/2019
MAY STUDENTS ADD A MODULAR ANALOG-TO-DIGITAL CONVERTOR (ADC) TO THEIRMICROCONTROLLER?

No. External signal conditioning boards are not allowed.
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
kendreaditya
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Post by kendreaditya »

pepperonipi wrote: October 14th, 2019, 9:44 am
jinhusong wrote: October 5th, 2019, 8:29 pm 2. ADC: Arduino built-in ADC only 10 bits, too tight for 0.1 degree C, so plan to use 16 Bit ADC (ADS1115).
Isn't this not allowed, according to the FAQ?
(Section: 3 / Paragraph: a / Line: 1)
10/13/2019
MAY STUDENTS ADD A MODULAR ANALOG-TO-DIGITAL CONVERTOR (ADC) TO THEIRMICROCONTROLLER?

No. External signal conditioning boards are not allowed.
That's kinda weird cause it does not say anywhere in the rules that you can't. Plus, Raspberry Pi's don't have a built-in ADC, so you are forced to only use a digital sensor if you go that route.

Return to “Detector Building C”