Detector Building C

Umaroth
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Kraemer Room 504, Troy Room 909, or studying at my dining table

Re: Detector Building C

Postby Umaroth » September 14th, 2019, 1:30 pm

On Amazon, there is an "Elegoo Starter Kit" which is basically the same as Arduino but a different name brand. Can I use that for the competition or are we restricted to using an Arduino/Raspberry Pi/TI Innovator microcontroller board?
Any microcontroller is allowed
Troy SciOly 2019-2020
Kraemer SciOly Padre 2018-2019
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-2019
Kraemer SciOly Pretty-Much Head Coach 2019-2020
2020 Tryouts: Circuit, Code, Detector, DP, GeoMaps, Machines
SOLVI Events: Code, Detector, DP, GeoMaps, Machines

Umaroth's Userpage

hbonnes
State: MT

Postby hbonnes » September 17th, 2019, 11:59 pm

Would it be alright to create our own waterproofing on a thermistor? As far as I know the rules states you can not use preconstructed ones which I assume allows you to make your own?

gz839918
Division: Grad
State: NC

Postby gz839918 » September 18th, 2019, 7:08 am

Would it be alright to create our own waterproofing on a thermistor? As far as I know the rules states you can not use preconstructed ones which I assume allows you to make your own?
Yes, this is allowed. In fact, the event expects you to have waterproofing: in competition, the event supervisor will be testing the durability of your device by submerging it underwater. As part of your design log, you'll be describing how you made your detector waterproof, so this will help the event supervisor to tell that you made the waterproofing yourself and that you didn't use a thermistor with waterproofing already applied by the manufacturer.
I ❤ sounds of music! About me
Physics and biology events

UNC-Chapel Hill ’23

YeagerTheCat

Postby YeagerTheCat » September 18th, 2019, 7:11 am

Absolutely. It is part of the fun/misery :-)

hbonnes

Postby hbonnes » September 18th, 2019, 10:26 am

I figured, wording just had me confused!

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Postby dxu46 » September 18th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Yes, this is allowed. In fact, the event expects you to have waterproofing: in competition, the event supervisor will be testing the durability of your device by submerging it underwater. As part of your design log, you'll be describing how you made your detector waterproof, so this will help the event supervisor to tell that you made the waterproofing yourself and that you didn't use a thermistor with waterproofing already applied by the manufacturer.
Is this even on the rules? I know this was a thing for the trial event but I don't see anything on the official rules about having to withstand a water test.

Umaroth
State: CA
Location: Kraemer Room 504, Troy Room 909, or studying at my dining table

Postby Umaroth » September 18th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Is this even on the rules? I know this was a thing for the trial event but I don't see anything on the official rules about having to withstand a water test.
I mean if the probe is measuring the temperature of water I'd assume it would have to be waterproof to put it in safely...
Troy SciOly 2019-2020
Kraemer SciOly Padre 2018-2019
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-2019
Kraemer SciOly Pretty-Much Head Coach 2019-2020
2020 Tryouts: Circuit, Code, Detector, DP, GeoMaps, Machines
SOLVI Events: Code, Detector, DP, GeoMaps, Machines

Umaroth's Userpage

lindsmaurer
State: OH

Postby lindsmaurer » September 18th, 2019, 5:38 pm

I mean if the probe is measuring the temperature of water I'd assume it would have to be waterproof to put it in safely...
Dxu is right that there’s no boiling water test or durability test anymore, but it still has to be waterproof...
Solon MS/ DMAH
2020:
Circuit Lab 
Codebusters
Detector Building
Fossils
Gravity Vehicle 

2019:
Circuit Lab
Road Scholar
Mystery Architecture
Herp (invite season only)
Battery (invite season only)
[b]Regionals/States/Nats:[/b]
Circuit: 1/1/_
Road: 3/1/_
Mystery: 1/2/_

hbonnes

Postby hbonnes » September 18th, 2019, 9:08 pm

If I were to have my the microcontroller and displays in a small box for example, and have the sensor with a wire with the sensor coming out of the box with the minimum 30cm waterproofed, would this be a valid build? The wording "The sensor and wires/cables, together, must be a minimum of 30.0 cm in length" makes me think something like this may be valid, but some clarification would be nice!

knightmoves

Postby knightmoves » September 19th, 2019, 6:51 am

If I were to have my the microcontroller and displays in a small box for example, and have the sensor with a wire with the sensor coming out of the box with the minimum 30cm waterproofed, would this be a valid build? The wording "The sensor and wires/cables, together, must be a minimum of 30.0 cm in length" makes me think something like this may be valid, but some clarification would be nice!
Why wouldn't it be valid? It fits the rules. You've got 30cm of sensor / wire / cable that fits through a 5cm hole. Nothing in the rules says that you have to use a laptop or calculator for programming and display - just that you can if you like. If you want to build a device with pushbuttons to adjust the temperature ranges, you are free to do so.

Return to “Detector Building C”