Detector Building C

rayner

Re: Detector Building C

Postby rayner » November 2nd, 2019, 11:07 am

10/13/2019
MAY STUDENTS ADD A MODULAR ANALOG-TO-DIGITAL CONVERTOR (ADC) TO THEIRMICROCONTROLLER?
No. External signal conditioning boards are not allowed.

So even though it makes no sense to limit the use of external ADCs (they are not external signal conditioniners), I guess they are now explicitly prohibited? Does that mean that no one can use a Rasberry PI since it doesn't have an onboard ADC?

builder2703

Postby builder2703 » November 3rd, 2019, 2:55 pm

Can we use the DIKAVS 3950 NTC 10K Precision Epoxy Thermistor Temperature Sensor.

jinhusong
Division: C
State: CA

Postby jinhusong » November 3rd, 2019, 3:32 pm

No. It is already water-proof.

Jinhu

pepperonipi
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: FL

Postby pepperonipi » November 3rd, 2019, 3:59 pm

10/13/2019
MAY STUDENTS ADD A MODULAR ANALOG-TO-DIGITAL CONVERTOR (ADC) TO THEIRMICROCONTROLLER?

So even though it makes no sense to limit the use of external ADCs (they are not external signal conditioniners), I guess they are now explicitly prohibited? Does that mean that no one can use a Rasberry PI since it doesn't have an onboard ADC?
I think someone at Science Olympiad HQ made a big mistake with this decision. This decision makes no sense, because as you said, external ADCs aren't even external signal conditioners. The Arduino has its own built-in ADC, and since the Raspberry Pi doesn't have an onboard ADC, it limits many building avenues with it.
⋆͛*͛ ͙͛ ⁑͛⋆͛*͛ ͙͛ヽ(°∀°人´ヮ´)ノ⋆͛*͛ ͙͛ ⁑͛⋆͛*͛ ͙͛
Holidays are snow much fun...

Boca Raton Community High School
Relevant Wiki Pages:
My Wiki Page | School Wiki Page

My Events
2019: Code Busters, Fermi Questions, Thermodynamics
2019 Trials: What the Function (MIT), Detector Building (Nationals)
2020: Detector Building, Ornithology

kendreaditya
State: PA

Postby kendreaditya » November 4th, 2019, 10:40 am

10/13/2019

I think someone at Science Olympiad HQ made a big mistake with this decision. This decision makes no sense, because as you said, external ADCs aren't even external signal conditioners. The Arduino has its own built-in ADC, and since the Raspberry Pi doesn't have an onboard ADC, it limits many building avenues with it.
I sent in an FAQ to confirm their statement, and its been more than 2 weeks and they still have not responded.

YeagerTheCat

Postby YeagerTheCat » November 4th, 2019, 11:38 am

No. It is already water-proof.

Jinhu
Ahhh ... I think personally this is perfectly fine. There are a pile of thermistors in epoxy packaging. Just because it is epoxy dipped doesn't mean it is really waterproof :-)

YtC

YeagerTheCat

Postby YeagerTheCat » November 4th, 2019, 11:40 am

10/13/2019

You know that is really interesting - I don't think I have ever checked a pi for it and I always thought it had something 8 or 10 bit on there. Guess it makes sense that it doesn't. Yes this would knock out RPis if that was true.

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby nicholasmaurer » November 4th, 2019, 3:35 pm

10/13/2019

The challenge is that the average ES cannot tell the difference between a student who buys a probe with a pre-built board that does the temperature curve math for them vs. a student who is simply using an ADC. By forcing students to use only microcontrollers and basic components, they know students are building and calibrating their own devices from scratch. I don't like the limitations this FAQ imposes, but I think it was probably necessary.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

TheMysteriousMapMan
State: MI

Postby TheMysteriousMapMan » November 4th, 2019, 3:51 pm

With these clarifications, would an Arduino Uno still work? I'm better with the microcontroller software/circuit construction than the microcontroller hardware.
2020 Prospective Events: Astronomy, Detector Building, Sounds of Music.
Possible Events: Chem Lab, Codebusters, Experimental Design.

Unsuccessful Assassinator of Game 143.

Image I found it too!

kendreaditya
State: PA

Postby kendreaditya » November 4th, 2019, 4:58 pm

With these clarifications, would an Arduino Uno still work? I'm better with the microcontroller software/circuit construction than the microcontroller hardware.
Yes, with the spesifcations, the Uno is legal.

Return to “Detector Building C”