Analog Temperature Sensor Calibration

fyuan483
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: January 13th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Analog Temperature Sensor Calibration

Post by fyuan483 » February 4th, 2020, 3:53 am

yashp13 wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 7:43 pm
fyuan483 wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 7:37 pm
yashp13 wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 3:16 pm


The analog input determines both the voltage and the output temperature. Depending on what microcontroller board you are using: Arduino, Raspberry Pi, or TI Innovator, I could further help you figure out the process. However, to give you an idea to go about this using the TI Innovator, I suggest you look at: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... cher_0.pdf

That website guides you along the process of calibration with the TI innovator, but you could easily apply this to the Arduino or Raspberry Pi.
actually, i read the example program 1 that gives the linear equation of analog input and temperature. but i am not really understanding how the voltage formula can be derived too. sorry for asking too much. thanks
This is where it matters what board you are using. If you are using a TI Innovator, the ADC used 14-bit, so the formula for converting the analog-in to voltages is

Code: Select all

(X/(2^14-1))*3.3
where X is the analog-in value.

If you are using Arduino, it has an ADC that uses 10-bit, so its formula would be

Code: Select all

(X/(2^10-1))*3.3
oh ok i understand now. thank you so much again.

fyuan483
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: January 13th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Analog Temperature Sensor Calibration

Post by fyuan483 » February 4th, 2020, 2:18 pm

hi. when i use hot glue to stick the temperature sensor in the straw, does the temperature sensor need to touch the water? thank you for the help.

yashp13
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: November 4th, 2019, 3:08 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Analog Temperature Sensor Calibration

Post by yashp13 » February 4th, 2020, 2:28 pm

fyuan483 wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 2:18 pm
hi. when i use hot glue to stick the temperature sensor in the straw, does the temperature sensor need to touch the water? thank you for the help.
The temperature sensor does not need to touch the water, however, I would advise you to not layer it too much, as that can skew the temperature readings since part of it will get dissipated. Also, I would not recommend using hot glue but instead trying JB Weld or some type of waterproof silicone sealant that can handle hot temperatures.

fyuan483
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: January 13th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Analog Temperature Sensor Calibration

Post by fyuan483 » February 4th, 2020, 3:01 pm

yashp13 wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 2:28 pm
fyuan483 wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 2:18 pm
hi. when i use hot glue to stick the temperature sensor in the straw, does the temperature sensor need to touch the water? thank you for the help.
The temperature sensor does not need to touch the water, however, I would advise you to not layer it too much, as that can skew the temperature readings since part of it will get dissipated. Also, I would not recommend using hot glue but instead trying JB Weld or some type of waterproof silicone sealant that can handle hot temperatures.
ok. thank you so much again!

yashp13
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: November 4th, 2019, 3:08 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Analog Temperature Sensor Calibration

Post by yashp13 » February 4th, 2020, 3:50 pm

fyuan483 wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 3:01 pm
yashp13 wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 2:28 pm
fyuan483 wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 2:18 pm
hi. when i use hot glue to stick the temperature sensor in the straw, does the temperature sensor need to touch the water? thank you for the help.
The temperature sensor does not need to touch the water, however, I would advise you to not layer it too much, as that can skew the temperature readings since part of it will get dissipated. Also, I would not recommend using hot glue but instead trying JB Weld or some type of waterproof silicone sealant that can handle hot temperatures.
ok. thank you so much again!
no problem!

fyuan483
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: January 13th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Analog Temperature Sensor Calibration

Post by fyuan483 » February 4th, 2020, 6:47 pm

hi i am sorry again but there is one equation to find the voltage, one to find the temperature, and another equation that converts voltage to temperature?

fyuan483
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: January 13th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Analog Temperature Sensor Calibration

Post by fyuan483 » February 6th, 2020, 6:23 pm

hi. for my y-intercept i do not get a value in the hundreds and i tried to use the points in the example to get their equation but it also didn’t work so i am confused now. can someone help me? thank you!

fyuan483
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: January 13th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Analog Temperature Sensor Calibration

Post by fyuan483 » February 7th, 2020, 5:43 pm

hi. i am not really sure on how to get the LED lights and their temperature ranges. i am using the LM19 with the ti innovator hub and the ti-84 plus ce calculator. can anyone give me some help or tips?

Post Reply

Return to “Detector Building C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest