How to run the event?

jinhusong
Division: C
State: CA

How to run the event?

Post by jinhusong »

I have some questions about the details of running the event:

1. When to record the device reading and thermometer reading?
My plan is within the 2 minutes, students tell me that their reading is ready (stabilized), then I wait 15 seconds to record them, maybe a photo snapshot. Just try to avoid students picking the instant time that two readings match.

2. Is stirring allowed or recommended or required, for both thermometer and device? This should make difference for thermistor.

3. Any recommendation for water containers? The 75 degree C water is still quite hot, prefer heavy container not easy to spill.

Thanks,

Jinhu
Tendan
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to run the event?

Post by Tendan »

jinhusong wrote: November 11th, 2019, 10:41 am I have some questions about the details of running the event:

1. When to record the device reading and thermometer reading?
My plan is within the 2 minutes, students tell me that their reading is ready (stabilized), then I wait 15 seconds to record them, maybe a photo snapshot. Just try to avoid students picking the instant time that two readings match.

2. Is stirring allowed or recommended or required, for both thermometer and device? This should make difference for thermistor.

3. Any recommendation for water containers? The 75 degree C water is still quite hot, prefer heavy container not easy to spill.

Thanks,

Jinhu
1. The supervisors at our first competition didn't show us the calibration thermometer's temperature until after the detector's reading was recorded. That way we couldn't pick and choose the best reading.

2. We stirred our water a bit, but I don't know if it's allowed or if the supervisors even noticed.

3. Something like a soup thermos should be fine.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
jinhusong

Post by jinhusong »

Thanks.

Jinhu
lifeof3.141592
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Post by lifeof3.141592 »

Can a student change their equation for different temperature ranges? (E.g changing equation from T = 4V + 3 to T = 5V + 8 if latter station has hotter/colder water)

Can they use their own thermometer to do so?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

lifeof3.141592 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:21 am Can a student change their equation for different temperature ranges? (E.g changing equation from T = 4V + 3 to T = 5V + 8 if latter station has hotter/colder water)
Yes.
lifeof3.141592 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:21 am Can they use their own thermometer to do so?
See 5.b.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Umaroth »

bernard wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:53 am
lifeof3.141592 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:21 am Can a student change their equation for different temperature ranges? (E.g changing equation from T = 4V + 3 to T = 5V + 8 if latter station has hotter/colder water)
Yes.
lifeof3.141592 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:21 am Can they use their own thermometer to do so?
See 5.b.
Also worth noting that this refers to during the calibration period and that the equation cannot be changed during the time after the calibration period when you are testing your device.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

Thank you for taking the time to think this through - I've had many ES's who haven't so far this year.

If possible, avoid showing the teams the calibration temperature, for the reasons you stated. Then just record the temperature on the official score sheet.

I wouldn't stir the water yourself, but allow teams to do so.

In regards to the way to hold the water, I would recommend a thermos of some sort - that way the water doesn't cool too quickly. A large size isn't required - you could get decent ones from Goodwill.
lifeof3.141592
State: IL

Post by lifeof3.141592 »

Umaroth wrote: February 16th, 2020, 10:39 am
Yes.
See 5.b.
Also worth noting that this refers to during the calibration period and that the equation cannot be changed during the time after the calibration period when you are testing your device.
can we dip our finger into the water during the actual testing if we can't look at the calibration thermometer
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

lifeof3.141592 wrote: February 17th, 2020, 8:10 am
Umaroth wrote: February 16th, 2020, 10:39 am
Yes.

See 5.b.
can we dip our finger into the water during the actual testing if we can't look at the calibration thermometer
No - why would you be allowed to dip your finger into the water? It is potentially 75 °C - exposure to 80 °C water can burn you in less than a second (source here).

Return to “Detector Building C”