Insulation Material/Waterproofing

MoMoney$$$;)0)
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Insulation Material/Waterproofing

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Hello. So I was wondering if any type of Insulation Material is even required since my probe works fine with soldered wires and heat wrap (and the wire is already insulated as/is so is there any type of requirement to have some sort of coating on the length of your whole probe, or is that not necessary. (Considering it's no needed). Also how would you exactly explain this since it's not like you put some type of special material on it to be thermally conductive, and electrically insulative. Thanks.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
ericlepanda
State: IL

Re: Insulation Material/Waterproofing

Post by ericlepanda »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 4:42 pm Hello. So I was wondering if any type of Insulation Material is even required since my probe works fine with soldered wires and heat wrap (and the wire is already insulated as/is so is there any type of requirement to have some sort of coating on the length of your whole probe, or is that not necessary. (Considering it's no needed). Also how would you exactly explain this since it's not like you put some type of special material on it to be thermally conductive, and electrically insulative. Thanks.
insulation of any kind isn't required in the rules, so you should be fine. Per the rules, you are allowed to have an insulated probe as long as the insulation wasn't applied by the manufacturer; buying pre-insulated sensors isn't allowed.
ntso
quack quack
sciencegirl03
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciencegirl03 »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 4:42 pm Hello. So I was wondering if any type of Insulation Material is even required since my probe works fine with soldered wires and heat wrap (and the wire is already insulated as/is so is there any type of requirement to have some sort of coating on the length of your whole probe, or is that not necessary. (Considering it's no needed). Also how would you exactly explain this since it's not like you put some type of special material on it to be thermally conductive, and electrically insulative. Thanks.
I agree that it shouldn't be necessary to thermally insulate your probe everywhere, but like you already did, you will need to electrically isolate your individual joints so they don't touch.

Too much insulation is not good anyway, since it reduces response time. Since the max temp is only 75 C, if your wires are insulated enough as they are then its good!
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

2019 Nationals:
Wright Stuff: 3rd
Protein Modeling: 4th
Geologic Mapping: 5th
MgEHS22

Post by MgEHS22 »

I have a similar question, would it work if I were to cover my thermistor in either a plastic bag, sorta like a medical thermometer cover, or if covered it in hot glue or spray-foam?
Thanks!
jinhusong
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

MgEHS22 wrote: January 12th, 2020, 10:23 pm I have a similar question, would it work if I were to cover my thermistor in either a plastic bag, sorta like a medical thermometer cover, or if covered it in hot glue or spray-foam?
Thanks!
They will all work, here is the but:
they may take quite long to get stable reading or reach thermo balance. Easy to test, so just try it out.

We just cover and seal the wire part and let the sensor head exposed to the water, plastic dip or liquid electric tape is better than hot glue.

Another way, you can buy some thermo glue which passes heat but not electricity.
browntown311
State: NM

Post by browntown311 »

I would just go with liquid electrical tape, it is relatively cheap, lightweight, waterproof, and electrically insulating.
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

JITARADA wrote: January 26th, 2020, 2:37 pm (Considering it's no needed). Also how would you exactly explain this since it's not like you put some type of special material on it to be thermally conductive, and electrically insulative. Thanks.
Epoxy is the way to go. Do your research and you'll find what you need.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
fyuan483
State: NY

Post by fyuan483 »

hi. to build our own “thermometer” we can place our sensor (TI LM19) into a straw and use hot glue to keep the TI LM19 in place right?
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

fyuan483 wrote: January 29th, 2020, 3:19 am hi. to build our own “thermometer” we can place our sensor (TI LM19) into a straw and use hot glue to keep the TI LM19 in place right?
Hi! Just a gentle reminder that you don't have to post the same thing in multiple places. To answer your question, since the LM-19 is an allowed sensor, I don't see why not.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
fyuan483
State: NY

Post by fyuan483 »

gz839918 wrote: January 31st, 2020, 11:12 am
fyuan483 wrote: January 29th, 2020, 3:19 am hi. to build our own “thermometer” we can place our sensor (TI LM19) into a straw and use hot glue to keep the TI LM19 in place right?
Hi! Just a gentle reminder that you don't have to post the same thing in multiple places. To answer your question, since the LM-19 is an allowed sensor, I don't see why not.
ok sorry thank you.

Return to “Detector Building C”