Varied Resistance for a Certain Temperature

thunderdog116
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Varied Resistance for a Certain Temperature

Post by thunderdog116 »

Hi, I've created a thermistor that's waterproofed and had been working well. Yet, now one day the thermistor for example outputs a value of 30000 ohms for 25 celcius, and then the next day might output 350000 ohms, which is very odd). Does this mean I should rebuild my device instead of focusing on calibration.
waterlubber
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Varied Resistance for a Certain Temperature

Post by waterlubber »

You probably have a loose wire or connection, or a busted thermistor. Thermistors should output the same resistance for the same temperature (and do quite reliably), so if you're getting results like that you need to find where your error is.
Kellenberg Div. C D (rip States 2020)
Circuit Lab, Chemistry Lab, Code Busters, Detector Building, Machines, Sounds of Music, Fermi Emeritus
93 medals.
Victim of the great CoVID Bamboozle of 2020.
rabbitman

Post by rabbitman »

I have the same problem, if someone has determined the cause, please consider sharing. I think it is because either my sensor is trash or my waterproofing is sketchy.
YeagerTheCat

Post by YeagerTheCat »

rabbitman wrote: I have the same problem, if someone has determined the cause, please consider sharing. I think it is because either my sensor is trash or my waterproofing is sketchy.
If the resistance drops, then you likely have water getting into your connections to the thermistor. If the resistance goes up, you likely have some issues with your connection to the thermistor (eg dodgy solder joint, wire issue). Thermistors are not indestructible but they are not weak either.

Hope this helps,

YtC
thunderdog116
State: VA

Post by thunderdog116 »

I realized when I moved the wiring connecting the circuit board to the arduino the readings changed. It was probably due to the connection to the circuit board, so I hot glued the wires to the circuit board so they would stay in place. Sorry, for the really late response.
arazborov
State: IL

Post by arazborov »

Hot gluing the wires to the circuit board (or breadboard) isn't such a great idea... If you are having this problem you should probably use jumpers or directly solder to the board (if you have some spares).
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

The thermistors that I use have really thin leads, and previously I had been connecting them to two male-female wires and coating this with waterproofing, but this doesn't seem to create a reliable connection. Would it be better to just solder the leads to wires? I'm worried that the heat required to apply the heat shrinks would melt the solder
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--

Return to “Detector Building C”