Monitor

forbesd23
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Monitor

Post by forbesd23 »

What would happen if I were to bring a monitor, along with my raspberry pi, and themositor. It has the potential to detect the temperature and I know it is really inconvenient, especially since this event requires stations. Each station I would plug in, restart my pi, detect the temperature after a few trials, and unplug. This would take time but it could still work. In the rules manual it says to use a calculator or laptop but the way I created it I have to use a HDMI cable which doesn't work with either, and bringing a monitor isn't necessarily outright banned. So to get to my question, what would happen if I brought this monitor instead. Would I be disqualified, lose points, tiered, or nothing? It may be unconventional but it works
YeagerTheCat
Has thanked: 0

Re: Monitor

Post by YeagerTheCat »

forbesd23 wrote: What would happen if I were to bring a monitor, along with my raspberry pi, and themositor. It has the potential to detect the temperature and I know it is really inconvenient, especially since this event requires stations. Each station I would plug in, restart my pi, detect the temperature after a few trials, and unplug. This would take time but it could still work. In the rules manual it says to use a calculator or laptop but the way I created it I have to use a HDMI cable which doesn't work with either, and bringing a monitor isn't necessarily outright banned. So to get to my question, what would happen if I brought this monitor instead. Would I be disqualified, lose points, tiered, or nothing? It may be unconventional but it works
I think the limitation on power sources might be a problem for you here alas. You can use a remote login (SSH) to get to your raspberry pi from a laptop - that would work fine, as your laptop becomes your monitor and can power the pi.
knightmoves

Re: Monitor

Post by knightmoves »

forbesd23 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 8:43 pm Each station I would plug in, restart my pi, detect the temperature after a few trials, and unplug.
Having a monitor is within the rules (3a includes "a display"). 3e, however, tells you that you may not use an electrical outlet at any point during the event, and that the device must be powered either by a laptop/calculator or a commercially available battery not exceeding 12V.
This rules out using, for example, a battery and an inverter to produce 110V to power a standard monitor. If you have a monitor that runs off 12 VDC, and a suitable 12V battery pack, you could use that, I suppose.
These users thanked the author knightmoves for the post:
Zoey79 (July 29th, 2021, 10:44 pm)

Return to “Detector Building C”