Displaying temperatures

FelixHuangScioly
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Displaying temperatures

Post by FelixHuangScioly »

At regionals, my partner and I wrote our code so that we only displayed one temperature after waiting 10 seconds; because of this, we placed second. The first-place team had their program continuously displaying temperatures and they picked the temperature that was the closest to the thermometer. I was not sure if this was actually legal, so could someone confirm if we can continuously display temperatures and pick the closest match at the state tournament?
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Displaying temperatures

Post by Umaroth »

FelixHuangScioly wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 5:03 pm At regionals, my partner and I wrote our code so that we only displayed one temperature after waiting 10 seconds; because of this, we placed second. The first-place team had their program continuously displaying temperatures and they picked the temperature that was the closest to the thermometer. I was not sure if this was actually legal, so could someone confirm if we can continuously display temperatures and pick the closest match at the state tournament?
Different tournaments have been running it differently, but ideally you shouldn't even be able to see the calibration thermometer to prevent situations like that.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
nisha01
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Displaying temperatures

Post by nisha01 »

I would say so too. In our event parameters, it specifically states that the thermometer cannot be viewed while taking the temperature, but, as they said, different tournaments may allow you to view it, but that would be weird.

Return to “Detector Building C”