Calibration

thunderdog116
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Calibration

Post by thunderdog116 »

Hey guys, I was wondering what people normally do during the calibration phase. So far what we've done is get a accurate readings before the competition and use those readings on the day of the on-site. We check some values, and if the values are off by some margin, we'll add a constant to our equation.
Though, I'm thinking this might not be the best way to do so considering different thermometers might give different readings and the environment of the testing center might be different from home or at school. So, I was wondering what other people do during calibration. Does one member attempt to get a cold, warm, and hot measurement, and then use those to create an equation. Then, if there is more time obtain more measurements.
For hot measurements, how do you get an accurate reading. Don't high measurements change rapidly that it would be impossible to get the correct reading if your detector takes time to read the measurement. Also, does one partner focus on calibration while the other focuses on the test.

Moreover, at some invitationals they seem to have varying testing procedures. Some competitions I have attended allow us to choose the best value that's closest to the actual measurement. Other's have been blind where I'm allowed to choose the measurement, but I don't know how close it is to the actual value.

Return to “Detector Building C”