2020-2021 Detector

MoMoney$$$;)0)
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

2020-2021 Detector

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Hello fellow competitors,

I was wondering if there is any anticipation for next year's event, since under the current statement by Scioly; the event rules will remain the same. What are your thoughts and feeling on next year's detector with the same rules?

I personally feel that next year, this will be a very redundant event with everyone having close to perfect detector scores, and thus making this a very boring, yet competitive event.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: 2020-2021 Detector

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 16th, 2020, 11:13 am Hello fellow competitors,

I was wondering if there is any anticipation for next year's event, since under the current statement by Scioly; the event rules will remain the same. What are your thoughts and feeling on next year's detector with the same rules?

I personally feel that next year, this will be a very redundant event with everyone having close to perfect detector scores, and thus making this a very boring, yet competitive event.
I agree that most teams will likely have very accurate devices. Maybe they could increase the multipliers to spread the scores out a little bit? It seems like teams will have to do well on the test as well to be competitive now.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
jinhusong
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

Just change regional to State rule.
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Personally, I would like to see a change in the task itself. I feel like its pretty feasible given that all the basic materials (microcontroller and related hardware) can be reused. Only thing that might change is the sensors themselves
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

shrewdPanther46 wrote: March 17th, 2020, 6:46 am Personally, I would like to see a change in the task itself. I feel like its pretty feasible given that all the basic materials (microcontroller and related hardware) can be reused. Only thing that might change is the sensors themselves
That would be what would happen if we carried on the normal rotation, right? Detector Building would come back for its second year, with a different measurement task?
LIPX3
Has thanked: 0

Post by LIPX3 »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: March 16th, 2020, 11:26 am

I agree that most teams will likely have very accurate devices. Maybe they could increase the multipliers to spread the scores out a little bit? It seems like teams will have to do well on the test as well to be competitive now.
That doesn't change a thing - it just makes it even more luck based. If the event is to be made better, the underlying task, or the way it is accomplished, must be made more difficult, not the method by which it is measured.
pepperonipi
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

LIPX3 wrote: March 19th, 2020, 4:16 pm

That doesn't change a thing - it just makes it even more luck based. If the event is to be made better, the underlying task, or the way it is accomplished, must be made more difficult, not the method by which it is measured.
Completely agree. I'm really hoping that when they change the rules for this event, they don't place more emphasis on luck in the scoring.
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
MoMoney$$$;)0)

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

pepperonipi wrote: March 19th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Completely agree. I'm really hoping that when they change the rules for this event, they don't place more emphasis on luck in the scoring.
Can you clarify on "luck based" in this scenario. I feel that this year the rules were pretty straightforwards and easy to follow though on. Opinions?
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Umaroth »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 19th, 2020, 5:11 pm
Can you clarify on "luck based" in this scenario. I feel that this year the rules were pretty straightforwards and easy to follow though on. Opinions?
They were definitely straightforward (aside from ambiguity on whether or not readings had to be blind), but by luck based they mean how the accuracy of the reading oftentimes comes down to how much the calibration thermometer, and not the device, itself fluctuates.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
MoMoney$$$;)0)

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Umaroth wrote: March 19th, 2020, 5:21 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 19th, 2020, 5:11 pm

They were definitely straightforward (aside from ambiguity on whether or not readings had to be blind), but by luck based they mean how the accuracy of the reading oftentimes comes down to how much the calibration thermometer, and not the device, itself fluctuates.
I think that's a fairly relateable factor, but the way to keep this as straightforward as possible is to try to get a better thermometer and try to keep your calibration thermometer in the same area as a your probe, you can do this by just taping them both together and sticking them on one side of the cup, pot, etc. Every time except for one I got to see the thermometer during my reading allowing me to get exact to ±0.1 Celsius. Just a few suggestions.
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

Return to “Detector Building C”