Elastic Launched Glider B

Post Reply
User avatar
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 1364
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 22 times

Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by windu34 » August 13th, 2019, 11:56 am

Elastic Launched Glider B: Prior to the tournament teams design, construct, and test elastic launched gliders to achieve the maximum time aloft.

Elastic Launched Glider Wiki

Elastic Launched Glider Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

User avatar
builderguy135
Member
Member
Posts: 663
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by builderguy135 » September 3rd, 2019, 3:47 am

Canard.

whyyyyyyyy
HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019
2020 Sounds MIT and Princeton Champion
2020 (and probably 2021 :( ) Events: PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/PaRaSiToLoGy

bjt4888
Member
Member
Posts: 649
Joined: June 16th, 2013, 12:35 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by bjt4888 » September 3rd, 2019, 11:40 am

This bonus was used several years ago too. My teams built a canard for that year, but ended up getting a better score using a conventional flapper.

Worth trying the canard yourself though.

It was easy enough to get them to glide well, but trimming the transition was challenging.

Brian T

User avatar
NewSciolyer
Member
Member
Posts: 55
Joined: March 19th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by NewSciolyer » September 3rd, 2019, 5:00 pm

So if the starting bonus and the fuelselage bonus is also applied, that means a 16 second canard will beat a 20 second flapped glider?

User avatar
Maxout
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 5:10 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by Maxout » September 4th, 2019, 9:21 am

NewSciolyer wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 5:00 pm
So if the starting bonus and the fuelselage bonus is also applied, that means a 16 second canard will beat a 20 second flapped glider?
You'll never see a competitive glider that doesn't get the fuselage bonus. It's a stupid bonus because the stopwatch already gives a bonus to long models.

The canard bonus is a wild goose chase. I got a canard to do 30 seconds from about 30 feet. It's a royal pain in the neck and I'm still holding out on releasing the plans as it's nothing short of Pandora's box.

Conventional models are doing true 1 ft/sec sink rates this year, which is nice. They fly slower, so they transition better. Bottom line, if you avoid getting distracted by the rabbit trails, it's going to be a good year for gliders.
Josh Finn

User avatar
NewSciolyer
Member
Member
Posts: 55
Joined: March 19th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by NewSciolyer » September 4th, 2019, 4:08 pm

I'm expecting slightly shorter flight times because of the 2cm cut on wingspan, but will the minimum weight of 3 grams make up for the smaller wingspan? Maxout, could part of your trouble with the canard be because you're trying to use the same horizontal stabilizer for the forewing? I'm thinking maybe a long and skinny one with a higher incidence would work better? 30 seconds in a 30 feet ceiling with a canard plane is still amazing! I doubt my glider last year could even beat that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
NewSciolyer
Member
Member
Posts: 55
Joined: March 19th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by NewSciolyer » September 7th, 2019, 11:01 am

Maxout,

I have a question for you. What is the flap material that you use for your kits? It seems to me that the flaps in the Freedom Flights kits are stiff and don't bend very well. However, on your Super Protege, the flaps naturally bends down when you did the European style cuts.

Thanks!

NewSciolyer

User avatar
Maxout
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 5:10 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by Maxout » September 7th, 2019, 12:30 pm

NewSciolyer wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 11:01 am
Maxout,

I have a question for you. What is the flap material that you use for your kits? It seems to me that the flaps in the Freedom Flights kits are stiff and don't bend very well. However, on your Super Protege, the flaps naturally bends down when you did the European style cuts.

Thanks!

NewSciolyer
That's Graupner Vector Board. The only vendor I've found that will ship to the US is Lindinger over in Germany. I'm considering opening it up for limited sale here in the US. Last year I did sell small amounts to a number of folks who wanted to experiment with it.

-Josh
Josh Finn

User avatar
Maxout
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 5:10 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by Maxout » September 7th, 2019, 12:31 pm

NewSciolyer wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 4:08 pm
I'm expecting slightly shorter flight times because of the 2cm cut on wingspan, but will the minimum weight of 3 grams make up for the smaller wingspan? Maxout, could part of your trouble with the canard be because you're trying to use the same horizontal stabilizer for the forewing? I'm thinking maybe a long and skinny one with a higher incidence would work better? 30 seconds in a 30 feet ceiling with a canard plane is still amazing! I doubt my glider last year could even beat that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good build light and trim carefully.

The aspect ratio is something I need to explore more. We'll see what happens.
Josh Finn

User avatar
NewSciolyer
Member
Member
Posts: 55
Joined: March 19th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by NewSciolyer » September 9th, 2019, 3:00 pm

Do you guys have any tips to build a symmetrical wing? Sometimes I'm having trouble with making both wings have the same amount of lift. A little might be a good thing, but sometimes I end up with planes dive bombing duing transition. Thanks!

Post Reply

Return to “Elastic Launched Glider B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest