State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by Pythagorean »

builderguy135 wrote: February 17th, 2020, 6:29 pm
Pythagorean wrote: February 17th, 2020, 6:10 pm
builderguy135 wrote: February 17th, 2020, 6:00 pm

It might be the flaps. If they're uneven or sanded even a little bit differently, that could make it turn a different direction during launch than during the glide.
Thanks for the quick response.

We believe that the wood was warped so that the glider would turn left (against the flaps) since the flaps would be forced up and less effective, and as the glider slowed, the flaps would take over. The issue with this is that our vertical stab was curled ~10 degrees so that the glider would turn right and in theory, the vertical stabilizer is more effective at high speeds.
That could also be possible. I recommend either strengthening the wing with CF or preferably just completely remaking a new and unwarped glider. Be sure to sand evenly, especially toward the TE of the balsa section of the wing (and only on one side!) so the glider will not warp in the future. The flaps must be glued evenly as well against a flat surface so it doesnt warp.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Yeah, one of my partners started off by sanding two left wings :oops: but we cracked the wing and managed to get the glider to do 19.72 seconds but our glider is now doing another weird thing (yay!). So it will transition well at pretty much max-height but then it will "drop" by flying nose-down for about 2-4 feet and then will proceed to porpoise. Yet our glider will even itself out and it flies really well and is balanced. Any thoughts? This glider is a rabbit hole to be honest.
Scioly 2017
Bottle 2/?
Road 5/9
Meteorology 8/?
Roller 13/don't want to know
Road 2/9
Meteorology 5/15
Roller 5/Still don't want to know
Road 3/9 (EVERY YEAR!!!)
Meteorology 2/11
DP 7/24 (warm body both times)
ELG 3/7 (So close!)
ELG
Road
Meteorology
Density (Coach and Participant)
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

Pythagorean wrote: February 19th, 2020, 12:24 pm
Pythagorean wrote: February 17th, 2020, 6:10 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

We believe that the wood was warped so that the glider would turn left (against the flaps) since the flaps would be forced up and less effective, and as the glider slowed, the flaps would take over. The issue with this is that our vertical stab was curled ~10 degrees so that the glider would turn right and in theory, the vertical stabilizer is more effective at high speeds.
That could also be possible. I recommend either strengthening the wing with CF or preferably just completely remaking a new and unwarped glider. Be sure to sand evenly, especially toward the TE of the balsa section of the wing (and only on one side!) so the glider will not warp in the future. The flaps must be glued evenly as well against a flat surface so it doesnt warp.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Yeah, one of my partners started off by sanding two left wings :oops: but we cracked the wing and managed to get the glider to do 19.72 seconds but our glider is now doing another weird thing (yay!). So it will transition well at pretty much max-height but then it will "drop" by flying nose-down for about 2-4 feet and then will proceed to porpoise. Yet our glider will even itself out and it flies really well and is balanced. Any thoughts? This glider is a rabbit hole to be honest.
Decrease your bank angle.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
NewSciolyer
State: MD

Post by NewSciolyer »

I have a question. My glider is behaving very weirdly. When I lightly toss it, it glides to the left for some reason, even if there is right rudder. When I try to change the bank of the wing relative to the horizontal stabilizer, (ie Tilting the wings to the right so the right wing is closer to the horizontal stabilizer than the left wing is to the horizontal stabilizer), instead of turning to the right as I hoped, the problem gets worst and it turns to the left even more severely. Then I gave up trying to make it turn to the right and added left rudder, but the plane just tilts severely to the left and dives down. Now what I ended up with is a glider that transitions well to the right but then starts turning to the left. I have a freedom flights model and both wings have about the same flap deflection. I tried to add washout to make the left wing catch more air, but it doesn't work. I don't know what to do. Can someone please help? Thanks!
Pythagorean
Division: B
State: OH

Post by Pythagorean »

builderguy135 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 1:01 pm

Hope this helps.
OK, Thanks
Scioly 2017
Bottle 2/?
Road 5/9
Meteorology 8/?
Roller 13/don't want to know
Road 2/9
Meteorology 5/15
Roller 5/Still don't want to know
Road 3/9 (EVERY YEAR!!!)
Meteorology 2/11
DP 7/24 (warm body both times)
ELG 3/7 (So close!)
ELG
Road
Meteorology
Density (Coach and Participant)
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

Pythagorean wrote: February 19th, 2020, 5:54 pm
builderguy135 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 1:01 pm

OK, Thanks
By the way, if your stalling becomes better over the duration of the flight, then your cg is too far to the front (too much clay). Find a balance where it is comfortable for you to consistently launch without it stalling at the beginning of your flight by adjusting your bank angle.
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
NewSciolyer
State: MD

Post by NewSciolyer »

Is it weird that for one of my gliders in order for it to transition well I have to bank in the opposite direction of the turn 40 degrees?
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Our B division team posted a strong overall win for New Mexico, and will be heading to Nationals. In ELG, we took first with flights of 18, 19, and 20 seconds in a 24' gym. We were hampered a bit on our best plane due to the circle size increasing between the test flights in the morning and the competition. After 2 of the first three flights hit the wall to spectators, they switched to the backup plane and did well with that too.

Both planes are heavy, so we have to get to work before Nationals! Heavy but robust, and suitable for State competition. We have three team members, and each built one plane in December. They all flew decent, and were all flown in either Regions or States. Now we work as a team on a diet!

But before that, it is on to Romania! F1D time, return to SO in April!

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
NewFlyer20002

Post by NewFlyer20002 »

coachchuckaahs wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 2:02 pm Our B division team posted a strong overall win for New Mexico, and will be heading to Nationals. In ELG, we took first with flights of 18, 19, and 20 seconds in a 24' gym. We were hampered a bit on our best plane due to the circle size increasing between the test flights in the morning and the competition. After 2 of the first three flights hit the wall to spectators, they switched to the backup plane and did well with that too.

Both planes are heavy, so we have to get to work before Nationals! Heavy but robust, and suitable for State competition. We have three team members, and each built one plane in December. They all flew decent, and were all flown in either Regions or States. Now we work as a team on a diet!

But before that, it is on to Romania! F1D time, return to SO in April!

Coach Chuck
Congratulations! I wish you and your teams continued success. Good luck in Romania and have fun!

Newflyer20002
NewFlyer20002

Post by NewFlyer20002 »

NewSciolyer wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 12:22 pm Is it weird that for one of my gliders in order for it to transition well I have to bank in the opposite direction of the turn 40 degrees?
NewSciolyer,

We have gliders that behave the same way. As long as you get the flights you want, I don't think it really matters. Maybe some of the more experienced çoaches have an answer?

Newflyer20002
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

NewFlyer20002 wrote: February 24th, 2020, 6:01 am
NewSciolyer wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 12:22 pm Is it weird that for one of my gliders in order for it to transition well I have to bank in the opposite direction of the turn 40 degrees?
NewSciolyer,

We have gliders that behave the same way. As long as you get the flights you want, I don't think it really matters. Maybe some of the more experienced çoaches have an answer?

Newflyer20002
Only fix is manually unwarp the wing. Personally, I would remove the wing from the fuselage, resand/unwarp the wing to increase lift on the left side of the wing, and glue it onto a new fuse and stabilizers.
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage

Return to “Elastic Launched Glider B”