Elastic Launched Glider B

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by windu34 »

Elastic Launched Glider B: Prior to the tournament teams design, construct, and test elastic launched gliders to achieve the maximum time aloft.

Elastic Launched Glider Wiki

Elastic Launched Glider Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by builderguy135 »

Canard.

whyyyyyyyy
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
bjt4888
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Post by bjt4888 »

This bonus was used several years ago too. My teams built a canard for that year, but ended up getting a better score using a conventional flapper.

Worth trying the canard yourself though.

It was easy enough to get them to glide well, but trimming the transition was challenging.

Brian T
NewSciolyer
State: MD
Been thanked: 0

Post by NewSciolyer »

So if the starting bonus and the fuelselage bonus is also applied, that means a 16 second canard will beat a 20 second flapped glider?
Maxout

Post by Maxout »

NewSciolyer wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 5:00 pm So if the starting bonus and the fuelselage bonus is also applied, that means a 16 second canard will beat a 20 second flapped glider?
You'll never see a competitive glider that doesn't get the fuselage bonus. It's a stupid bonus because the stopwatch already gives a bonus to long models.

The canard bonus is a wild goose chase. I got a canard to do 30 seconds from about 30 feet. It's a royal pain in the neck and I'm still holding out on releasing the plans as it's nothing short of Pandora's box.

Conventional models are doing true 1 ft/sec sink rates this year, which is nice. They fly slower, so they transition better. Bottom line, if you avoid getting distracted by the rabbit trails, it's going to be a good year for gliders.
Josh Finn
NewSciolyer

Post by NewSciolyer »

I'm expecting slightly shorter flight times because of the 2cm cut on wingspan, but will the minimum weight of 3 grams make up for the smaller wingspan? Maxout, could part of your trouble with the canard be because you're trying to use the same horizontal stabilizer for the forewing? I'm thinking maybe a long and skinny one with a higher incidence would work better? 30 seconds in a 30 feet ceiling with a canard plane is still amazing! I doubt my glider last year could even beat that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NewSciolyer

Post by NewSciolyer »

Maxout,

I have a question for you. What is the flap material that you use for your kits? It seems to me that the flaps in the Freedom Flights kits are stiff and don't bend very well. However, on your Super Protege, the flaps naturally bends down when you did the European style cuts.

Thanks!

NewSciolyer
Maxout

Post by Maxout »

NewSciolyer wrote: September 7th, 2019, 11:01 am Maxout,

I have a question for you. What is the flap material that you use for your kits? It seems to me that the flaps in the Freedom Flights kits are stiff and don't bend very well. However, on your Super Protege, the flaps naturally bends down when you did the European style cuts.

Thanks!

NewSciolyer
That's Graupner Vector Board. The only vendor I've found that will ship to the US is Lindinger over in Germany. I'm considering opening it up for limited sale here in the US. Last year I did sell small amounts to a number of folks who wanted to experiment with it.

-Josh
Josh Finn
Maxout

Post by Maxout »

NewSciolyer wrote: September 4th, 2019, 4:08 pm I'm expecting slightly shorter flight times because of the 2cm cut on wingspan, but will the minimum weight of 3 grams make up for the smaller wingspan? Maxout, could part of your trouble with the canard be because you're trying to use the same horizontal stabilizer for the forewing? I'm thinking maybe a long and skinny one with a higher incidence would work better? 30 seconds in a 30 feet ceiling with a canard plane is still amazing! I doubt my glider last year could even beat that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good build light and trim carefully.

The aspect ratio is something I need to explore more. We'll see what happens.
Josh Finn
NewSciolyer

Post by NewSciolyer »

Do you guys have any tips to build a symmetrical wing? Sometimes I'm having trouble with making both wings have the same amount of lift. A little might be a good thing, but sometimes I end up with planes dive bombing duing transition. Thanks!

Return to “Elastic Launched Glider B”