Wright Stuff C

bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by bjt4888 »

Sorry, meant Sky Streak or Strato Streak.
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

CrayolaCrayon wrote: March 6th, 2020, 10:46 am
scandium21 wrote: March 6th, 2020, 10:28 am Would it be a violation of the spirit of the competition to build a Wright Stuff plane that is simply a ball and a rubber band. Our JV team is in a little bit of a pickle and does not have a good plane for regionals tomorrow. Could we throw together an 8 gram ball and chuck it as high as possible, or will the ES hit us with the spirit of the competition rule? This is a serious question.
The plane should be solely powered by the rubber band after release? I've never thought about it like this.
As ES, I would at least tier it for a flight violation, as it is not soley powered by the rubber band. It may qualify for a DQ under spirit of competition rule, since it is clearly not an airplane, specifically a monoplane or a biplane.

As coach Brian notes, a dime store balsa or foam plane can easily for the rules, and would fly for more than a few seconds.

A DQ is more points lost than a no show.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
jsegal
State: NC
Been thanked: 0

Post by jsegal »

What do you think next years rules will be like based on past patterns.
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

jsegal wrote: March 8th, 2020, 7:04 pm What do you think next years rules will be like based on past patterns.
Typically it's been a 2-year event rotation for rubber powered balsa flight events, so I'm wondering if they'll make it electric wright stuff (since it's been a trial event in recent years). Maybe they'll bring back the dime bonus?
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

JasperKota wrote: March 8th, 2020, 8:39 pm
jsegal wrote: March 8th, 2020, 7:04 pm What do you think next years rules will be like based on past patterns.
Typically it's been a 2-year event rotation for rubber powered balsa flight events, so I'm wondering if they'll make it electric wright stuff (since it's been a trial event in recent years). Maybe they'll bring back the dime bonus?
i believe ews is planned to be run in div b but we will see ig
jsegal
State: NC
Been thanked: 0

Post by jsegal »

Rossyspsce wrote: March 9th, 2020, 10:33 am
Based on the tentative events for next year I believe that wright stuff might be locked in the cycle and that no other flying events will substitute it until 2024.
OpticsNerd
State: WI

Post by OpticsNerd »

jsegal wrote: March 9th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Based on the tentative events for next year I believe that wright stuff might be locked in the cycle and that no other flying events will substitute it until 2024.
Oh yes. Let's have Wright Stuff for a 3rd year but make it harder. How about making triplanes required and further reducing the propeller and stabilizer sizes?
OpticsNerd

Post by OpticsNerd »

OpticsNerd wrote: March 9th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Oh yes. Let's have Wright Stuff for a 3rd year but make it harder. How about making triplanes required then setting a minimum wing size and further reducing the propeller and stabilizer sizes?
OpticsNerd

Post by OpticsNerd »

Oh yes. Let's have Wright Stuff for a 3rd year but make it harder. How about making triplanes required, not allowing horizontal stabilizers, max prop diameter of 1 cm, keeping 2 directions bonus, and then adding a dime bonus?
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

I was at an AMA Indoor event up in Colorado Springs Sunday. There were SO glider people flying when I arrived (gliders got the first few hours of flight time). Then when the rubber planes came out, there was a team flying Wright Stuff. They had two different kits, and were working a little at a time to improve. We could CLEARLY see dramatic improvement during the 5-hour session! Not only did they get plenty of gym time, but they had leading indoor flyers coming over, talking with them, and giving advice! Not only that, they got to see a large variety of planes including scale, mid-weight (LPP), and lightweight AMA planes.

Most AMA contests are free or very reduced rates for SO participants. The advice you will receive is free and priceless at the same time!

I wish this team well, they worked hard, listened well, and put in the effort it takes to go win State (they had already advanced from Regionals).

Find an indoor freeflight contest within driving distance, and go check it out. Bring your planes with you. It will be worth the drive! Many contests can be found on the National Free Flight Society website, https://freeflight.org/competition/master-calendar/

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

Return to “Wright Stuff C”