Wright Stuff C

banilmd
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by banilmd »

Can someone explain to me the benefit of counter-clockwise as well as clockwise flight? Will the plane being able to fly in both directions just make trimming easier due to the weight, or will the plane actually be switching directions mid flight? Thank you all.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

banilmd wrote: September 6th, 2019, 5:11 pm Can someone explain to me the benefit of counter-clockwise as well as clockwise flight? Will the plane being able to fly in both directions just make trimming easier due to the weight, or will the plane actually be switching directions mid flight? Thank you all.
The benefit is that you get score = sum of flight times instead of best flight time. It's a tough thing to do, since you have to make a tricky adjustment on-site.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
BigBootyBason

Post by BigBootyBason »

this event is like actually for sweats like god bless the future of flying events. next years event is probably who can make a plastic straw fly the longest
banilmd
State: CA

Post by banilmd »

Unome wrote: September 6th, 2019, 5:36 pm
banilmd wrote: September 6th, 2019, 5:11 pm Can someone explain to me the benefit of counter-clockwise as well as clockwise flight? Will the plane being able to fly in both directions just make trimming easier due to the weight, or will the plane actually be switching directions mid flight? Thank you all.
The benefit is that you get score = sum of flight times instead of best flight time. It's a tough thing to do, since you have to make a tricky adjustment on-site.
Oh, thank you for the explanation!
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Just clarifying, to reverse the turn direction of the plane, one would have to reverse the tilt and warp of the front wing and rear stabilizer as well as change the direction of the rudder? If so, it doesn't seem like carbon fiber wings would work well for something like this.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
Nano1llus10n
State: TX

Post by Nano1llus10n »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: September 6th, 2019, 7:53 pm Just clarifying, to reverse the turn direction of the plane, one would have to reverse the tilt and warp of the front wing and rear stabilizer as well as change the direction of the rudder? If so, it doesn't seem like carbon fiber wings would work well for something like this.
Reversing the tilt and wrap of lifting surface will prove to be complicated and unnecessary within the given time span. It should be more effective if you set tilt and warp at a neutral state and only adjust the measure of the vertical stabilizer/rudder in the back. How much you adjust will be determined from experimental results.
[b]Event:[/b] MIT/R/S/N
[b]Anatomy and Physiology:[/b] 8/3/2/26
[b]Helicopters:[/b] 11/-/2/43
[b]Microbe Mission:[/b] 13/2/2/8
[b]Event:[/b] R/S/N
[b]Anatomy and Physiology:[/b] 1/2/8
[b]Designer Genes:[/b] 1/2/4
[b]Protein Modeling:[/b] 1/3/2
[b]Wright Stuff:[/b] 2/2/9

Seven Lakes High School '21
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

BigBootyBason wrote: September 6th, 2019, 5:49 pm this event is like actually for sweats like god bless the future of flying events. next years event is probably who can make a plastic straw fly the longest
That would indeed be problematic, since plastic straws are not legal in some powerhouse SO states...

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
Bread
State: IN

Post by Bread »

klastyioer wrote:pigeon now i feel bad for the ppl who havent done this before
like it wont be awful for people who already did this since they have some sort of past experience w this event
but for the newbies its gonna be actual pigeon
Speaking of newbies...

Hello, I'm entirely new to the flying events this year. I was pretty enthusiastic to do this until I saw the rules for this year, but I want to try and make the best of it. The talk of difficulty makes me think I should just focus on getting a plane in the air than focusing on the directional bonus, at least for now.

I plan on buying a kit for my first plane, probably freedom flight, but if there are better suggestions I'm all ears. I think I've heard that they might be complicated, so again I'm all ears. Any suggestions, tips, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
VHS '22
VU/Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:10/2/3/21
Dynamic:3/2/11/46

Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:1/1/15
Thermo:1/6/29
Roller:3/10/20

VU/Reg/State/Nats
Fossils <3 :1/1/1/2 :D 
Dynamic:4/1/2/26
Thermo:2/1/1/5 :D 
Roller:9/-/1/51 (tier)
Rip maybe next year
CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

Bread wrote: September 7th, 2019, 11:04 am
klastyioer wrote:pigeon now i feel bad for the ppl who havent done this before
like it wont be awful for people who already did this since they have some sort of past experience w this event
but for the newbies its gonna be actual pigeon
Speaking of newbies...

Hello, I'm entirely new to the flying events this year. I was pretty enthusiastic to do this until I saw the rules for this year, but I want to try and make the best of it. The talk of difficulty makes me think I should just focus on getting a plane in the air than focusing on the directional bonus, at least for now.

I plan on buying a kit for my first plane, probably freedom flight, but if there are better suggestions I'm all ears. I think I've heard that they might be complicated, so again I'm all ears. Any suggestions, tips, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You've made a good choice. This is a very high quality event that pays off with lots of testing. Look at this link and go to the end of the thread: viewtopic.php?f=299&t=12123&start=780

That has advice from the end of last year from some of the best fliers in the country (Jander, Chuck, BJT, retired1)

Another place to look is the 2016 WS forums for advice. The knowledge fostered on here will take you very far.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
Shr3D
State: FL

Post by Shr3D »

Are there any kits out yet which conform to this years' rules? If so, would you be able to post those links?
Div. B:
2016 - ANAT*, BB
2017 - ANAT*, CB, HC*, Scrambler
2018 - HC*, T, WS*
Div. C:
2019 - BM, MP, WS*
2020 - (not final yet) ANAT, BM, CL, CM, WS

Return to “Wright Stuff C”